Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
141 - 160 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
261 Posts
This sort of thing happens all the time actually. Peoples proportions aren't really as regular/normal as you might think.

I have a buddy who is an inch taller than me. We both measured our RAD recently as we're trying to figure out what size new bikes to get in the future. And as it turns out, my RAD is 1-2in taller than his.

He has +3 ape index, while I have a + 0. And my inseam is longer than his (he borrowed my bike as a demo, and had to lower the seat by about an inch). So, apparently I'm all legs, with normal length arms. While he has shorter legs, and long arms, giving him a shorter RAD than me, despite me being an inch shorter.
Legs and arms, distance from feet to hands...that's RAD. Bodies are weird.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sadly, yes.

Regarding geometry and its trends... The Grim Donut. If The Grim Donut is the evolution of modern bikes, what will The Grim Donut to The Grim Donut look like? I'm too scared to imagine.
The evolution of the Grim Donut exists thanks to Pivot and it was revealed this weekend at Sea Otter...

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
261 Posts
Yes. A 2016. It was fun! Have you found tires for it?
A 2017, running maxxis 2.8 f/r. I had a Duro Crux 3.0 on the front but it was too round. I like the 2.8’s at lower pressure (somewhere around 15-19) but haven’t found the perfect pressures yet.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
He couldn't do much for me on a trade-in but suggested I give The Pro's Closet a try to see what they would offer for the bike. Although it was a loss from what I originally paid it was still $1000 more than the dealer could do. So I took the hit, sold the size L and purchased the size M/L. And although it was a money losing deal for me I'm very glad I made the change. I've been riding 6 days a week, improving, steadily gaining confidence, really enjoying myself and I haven't been on the road bike in weeks.
A few years back a geo chart error found me riding a frame that was too small. One ride later I was ordering the next size up and selling the one ride old frame for a loss. Painful, but I don't regret the swap at all.

Being on the wrong size bike is the worst thing ever so getting that decision right is crucial. I'm glad you ended up on a well fitting frame in the end. (y)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I bought Lee's book a few months back when this topic was being rehashed again. I always figure I can learn something from just about anything. Sometimes the thing I learn is the opposite of what the lesson is trying to teach. I get what Lee is trying to get at with RAD and RAAD. But, as others have mentioned. At 5'11" with a 6'6" wingspan, it just didn't work out for me. But that doesn't mean I didn't pick up other tidbits of information that I found useful. I don't think there are many absolutes when it comes to bike fit and it's simply way to much of an individual thing to encompass in a single equation. That being said, I was able to look at the formula and understand better what I may or may not feel on a bike. Demo a few with different figures and get a solid understanding of what I prefer my triangle to look like. Then was able to order a bike without ever having sat on it, that feels just about perfect now that it's here. So I can't say it was a waste of 40 bucks or whatever it was.

·
Registered
496 Posts

I like this article. It doesn't use hard numbers but I think the concept has merit.
For what its worth i have no problem cleaning all of the same super tech climbs on my longest slackest bike, the trade off in wider turning radius and steering flop is offset by the ability to take more extremely different lines with front and rear wheels and the slack HTA helps with the approach angle when attacking big step ups on steep terrain.

·
Registered
I'm one wheel smarter than riding a unicycle.
483 Posts
I like this article. It doesn't use hard numbers but I think the concept has merit.
I liked it. Interesting that the author is within an inch of my height with the same inseam and prefers a bike with a reach between 450 and 475. I checked the geo chart on my Spark, which feels too big, and the reach is 460. So now I'm all sorts of confused. If the author is onto something, I should be right at home on this bike but it feels huge and unwieldy.

I look at as many of these sort of threads as I can to see what I should be riding, but I haven't ever found anything definitive. And good grief, you'd think something like a half inch or an inch of difference wouldn't be such a big deal, but it absolutely can be.

I want to know where to turn to get the dialed-in fit the author mentioned that XC riders have... That's like 98 percent of what I do and 100 percent of what I prefer.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
428 Posts
Sometimes it looks like people start those topics to justify either old bike that they have or lack of skills that they need to ride modern geo;

Modern geometry allows you to to choose 1 of 3 sizes for example person 6’1 could choose M/L/XL or s3/s4/s5 ( per specialized)

Industry offer u great variety, you choose to ride either comfortable or big(small) bike for you skills and trails;

Side example ski’s:

Novice riders typically ride shorter skis with shorter turning radius, the more rider progress and the more speed rider wants - the longer skis they choose, the stiffer boots they choose the wider radius etc;

None complain that ski industry produce too long skis;

Just pick the ride size to you ability and start from there;

When u feel you outgrow equipment- move to the next

There is no magic number, all people are different with different skills, also people do not deadlift their bike for reference (as some you tubers mentioned)

Cheers

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sometimes it looks like people start those topics to justify either old bike that they have or lack of skills that they need to ride modern geo;

Modern geometry allows you to to choose 1 of 3 sizes for example person 6’1 could choose M/L/XL or s3/s4/s5 ( per specialized)

Industry offer u great variety, you choose to ride either comfortable or big(small) bike for you skills and trails;

Side example ski’s:

Novice riders typically ride shorter skis with shorter turning radius, the more rider progress and the more speed rider wants - the longer skis they choose, the stiffer boots they choose the wider radius etc;

There is no magic number, all people are different with different skills, also people do not deadlift their bike for reference (as some you tubers mentioned)

Cheers
What about hike-a-bike sections bro? JK, good point.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Side example ski’s:

Cheers
tall guy rant coming

At 6'6" i tested a s5 sj evo at the lbs parking lot. It was unrideable for me. The dropper post couldnt go high enough for me to reach a seated pedalling height. The stack was ridiculously low and around the top of my knees when standing.

Where is my s7 and s8 that i can size up to if i want?

141 - 160 of 323 Posts