Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time tonight, my wife asked me if my year long 29er project was yet finisheAnd with winter upgrades, she had me itemize everything. Came out to almost 1,700 bucks. I was thinking I spent mabee around 800-900 or so. Man....talk about a shock. My wifes eyes then lit up in anger.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I have 7 or 8 29" frames, not sure really. Non is really rideable right now. I spent a bit more on some, and a bit less on others. 2 I've never built even. One of them is a repaired Nishiki FS, the other a barely used 2nd hand Superfly.
One day I'll spend a bit more and make them all ride-ready. I don't even have enough seatposts, seats let alone wheels for that...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
digitalayon said:
For the first time tonight, my wife asked me if my year long 29er project was yet finisheAnd with winter upgrades, she had me itemize everything. Came out to almost 1,700 bucks. I was thinking I spent mabee around 800-900 or so. Man....talk about a shock. My wifes eyes then lit up in anger.
Jeesz! 1700 was the cost of one of two frames. Then WB F135... oh no, I couldn't begin to start.

Last time I itemised everything was when I sold a 26" bike. It was then I thought itemising was a bad idea

·
Registered
686 Posts
My frame was around 1700 also then add a bunch of letters like xtr, fox, push, stans and it all adds up to the price of a used sport bike that I sold to finance the whole deal.
My wife uses quickbooks, so I'm reminded every once in a while of our vacation home that I ride (5 of them to be exact):nono:

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
I don't know how much my Sultan totaled for the build - but if I had to do it all over again, it would be at or above $5,000. WB fork, Kings/Flows, carbon bars, ATAC XS, XO stuff...it adds up.

I don't own a credit card so I target purchases for specific things using money I set aside for that purpose - there is no guilt in spending this way, and, provided you actually sit down and budget your household finances with your spouse, no evil-eye glances from the spouse when you do pay out for a $900 wheelset (as an example).

I did buy my spouse a nice Tomatillo green rigid El Mariachi this year - she loves it. It's not so hard for her to agree to things when they're for her!

·
WNC Native
4,021 Posts
digitalayon- Get your wife into the sport and spend money on her a bike!!

I've got a deposit on an new 08 Xcal ($1200), have a new in the box 08 Rig Frame ($420) that I'm getting ready to build, and may build one more 29er this year (Rigid Jabber, Canzo, or Custom HT). So it is looking to be an expensive year for me. (I'm pouring Miracle Grow on my little wheels;) )

My wife is happy though, because she will be getting a FS 29er and a SS 29er this year also.

·
Registered
163 Posts
^ That is one very sweet bike! Lucky you! It reminds me of a Titanium Fat Chance with blue anodized everything that was featured in Mountain Bike Action way back when... it's still my dream bike!

Who remembers that Fat Chance in MBAction?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
nitrousjunky said:
digitalayon- Get your wife into the sport and spend money on her a bike!!

I've got a deposit on an new 08 Xcal ($1200), have a new in the box 08 Rig Frame ($420) that I'm getting ready to build, and may build one more 29er this year (Rigid Jabber, Canzo, or Custom HT). So it is looking to be an expensive year for me. (I'm pouring Miracle Grow on my little wheels;) )

My wife is happy though, because she will be getting a FS 29er and a SS 29er this year also.
My wife objects to the money I spend on bikes too. I told her I wanted to build a 29er for her and she told me very strongly not to do it, and said she wouldn't ride it if I did. But after she kept seeing mine being built and hearing me talking about building her one a couple more times, she just didn't say anything any more. I like that.:) Now we will be riding 29ers together. :cool: Makes me feel good when me and my wife ride together. OP- show your wife this post and tell her 29ers are cool. Tell her you want her to ride like you ride. - Happy Holidays from zarr and his to you and yours. :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Found a barely used 2008 Cannondale F29er 2 on Ebay - $1000
Ergon grips at LBS - $24
Specialized Phenom seat from a friend - $40
Plan to upgrade parts as things wear out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The internet's an amazing thing..

Kula 29 frame - 299
Maintou 80mm T/A - 269
WTB dual duty's - 29 each
Hope pro 2's - 250 for the set
New SLX cranks - 120

Everything else I have already. Pretty nice weekend racer for a thousand bucks.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
projected cost

digitalayon said:
should be around $1700.00 - 08' sultan frame - poo 120 fork and build. But MAN is this bike gonna rock..

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
Ranger Pride said:
WHAT HAPPENS AT THE BIKE SHOP STAYS AT THE BIKE SHOP
nice! and agreed...

i have all my stuff shipped to work for the most part, excpet for the token part i have shipped to my house so it doesnt look too obvious though of course those parts to the house are noted as being replacement for broken parts etc which is of course never the case

its simply retarded to share everything in a marriage, unless it involved a second woman of course

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
rebuilding my ss from the ground up would cost $1700. between used bits, e-bay, and some good deals i have way less into it.

my hardtail i got for about $650 used, then i dumped about $150 into it in upgrades + 1 x 9conversion. i funded (justified to wife) the hardtail by selling a bunch of guns i had sitting in the safe not being used.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.