Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Details? Charger failure? Type of charger? Battery brand?
Not sure of the brand, they looked like this https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/708-lithium-ion-battery-18650-battery-cell-2200mah-battery.html

They were taken out of a good quality battery bank.

The charger was a Nitecore i4. But I have a very strong suspicion that it was a fake charger. Because a couple of good cells had failed while charging on it in the past.

Battery exploded out of the charger and across the room, setting a broom alight. Happened while I was out. I reckon I caught it about 15mins into the fire. Luckily it was in the garage.

Took 7hrs to clean the soot off the walls.

· Registered
6,545 Posts
Not sure of the brand, they looked like this https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/708-lithium-ion-battery-18650-battery-cell-2200mah-battery.html

They were taken out of a good quality battery bank.

The charger was a Nitecore i4. But I have a very strong suspicion that it was a fake charger. Because a couple of good cells had failed while charging on it in the past.

Battery exploded out of the charger and across the room, setting a broom alight. Happened while I was out. I reckon I caught it about 15mins into the fire. Luckily it was in the garage.

Took 7hrs to clean the soot off the walls.
Interesting. You don't see many garages with wood floors. Very possible it was a bad charger. The Nitecore i4 is suppose to be able to sense voltage/battery type and also is able to monitor heat. I've noticed on some websites the Chinese like to clone some of the popular chargers. Not sure where Nitecore chargers are manufactured but if they are built in China you can be sure there are clone versions being sold on ebay.

Keep in mind if one cell was bad and had a soft short and the charger didn't notice the heat build up, that's a recipe for disaster. Yep, J.K. Simmons has your "broom with battery fire " trophy ready for the next Farmers Insurance ad.

( edit; BTW, thanks for the reminder to charge in something fire-proof. I've been saying that for years and still don't follow my own advice..:nono: :blush: )

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't see many garages with wood floors.
I converted the old brick garage into an outdoor studio myself. Floating wooden panels over the original concrete floor. (The silver stuff is insulation)

Interesting.The Nitecore i4 is suppose to be able to sense voltage/battery type and also is able to monitor heat.
Exactly, which would explain why it killed cells in the past.

Anyway lesson learnt. Might use an ammo box in future, and will only purchase batteries/chargers from reputable sellers.

What do you guys use for fire protection?

· Registered
6,545 Posts
..Anyway lesson learned. Might use an ammo box in future, and will only purchase batteries/chargers from reputable sellers.

What do you guys use for fire protection?
Interesting that you should ask. Sadly I have no garage. I just now found an aluminum baking pan that will now be used to sit my charger and batteries in. Of course if flaming batteries go flying through the air and land anywhere in my home while I'm not there to notice I'm going to be in bad shape. My home is full of clutter and most of it very flammable. This is why I have a long standing practice of not charging any batteries unless I'm home and awake at the time.

· damned rocks...
2,805 Posts
Nitecore chargers come with a unique QR code for you to scan and input at their site and verify authenticity.

I charge my batteries inside an old iron cooking pot, think witch potion pot :).

· RAKC Industries
3,328 Posts
This is why I dont screw with knock off chargers and cells. I charge wherever I decide to plug in at. usually on my wooden table. But I NEVER charge when Im not home. I learned about using cheap chargers (chargers are 99% of a the failures, they overcharge and cell goes boom, but higher end cells only vent, they dont explode)

Been meaning to get an ammo box just keep forgetting to. More for charging battery packs than loose cells.

Not a good idea to follow my example though, I regularly check my chargers and make sure my cells are never over discharged. Dispose of them if that happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.