Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best two bikes for you own for your Norcal riding. How do they fit your lifestyle and riding style?

Do you own them now?

If not, what are some ideal 2-bike combos for you?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Only two bikes for NorCal? That would be tough.

For what I enjoy riding most :
Pivot 4SL for Skeggs, Tamarancho and XC rides, and Yeti 6c for Pacifica, Northstar and Santa Cruz.

For all riding OPEN U.P. for gravel and road because of versatility.
Ibis Ripmo/Ripley V4 for everything else. Depends if you lean towards XC or Park.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Yeti sb150 enduro weapon for UC/N*/Demo/Pacifica. It likes steep, fast and chunky. 170mm/150mm 29er

Yeti sb45c trail weapon for Lime Ridge/JMlP/UC/Demo/Wilder etc..extremely capable 140mm/115mm 29er

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
FC, two MTBs or only two bikes, period?

If the latter, then I would keep my Open UP and get a down country XC bike like the Sniper Trail...and would wants several tire options for the each bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mtbr Founder
35,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FC, two MTBs or only two bikes, period?

If the latter, then I would keep my Open UP and get a down country XC bike like the Sniper Trail...and would wants several tire options for the each bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Two mtbs. Gravel is ok.

·
190lbs of climber
1,542 Posts
1. XC/low travel trail bike with 120mm fork to slacken things out a bit.
2. 150mm+ big bike for anything rowdy.

Right now, these roles are filled by my RKT and old model RIP Niners. When I come home to the south bay for holidays, more often than not the XC bike comes. Same with Marin to the in-laws. Great for Midpen and Marin, pretty great for Demo and UC minus any drops bigger than a few feet, and I've raced Downieville on it a few times.

For a 1-bike quiver, it's hard to beat a 120-130mm trail bike but it's hard to justify with multiple bikes, especially if XC is something you enjoy. Until recently I had all three, but I sold my JET (120mm rear, 130mm front) because, as awesome as that bike was, most of what I ride is either XC or so rocky that I grabbed the bigger bike. It was kinda sad that arguably the "best" single bike I had rarely got ridden.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Photos please!! Easier to understand. Or post the travel too.

And an interesting twist is to follow how your 2-bike stable has changed over the years.

·
Registered
589 Posts
And an interesting twist is to follow how your 2-bike stable has changed over the years.
Since I discovered DH ~2001 I've always either had a DH bike and an AM bike or used a FR bike as my do-everything ride. As bikes have improved I've traded the DH bike for a FR/"super enduro" bike to go with a 140-150mm "trail" bike. However, now that my kids are getting big enough to take to N* I'll probably add a DH bike back into the mix and go to a three bike stable.

2 bike stable the last few years:

- 2007 Giant Reign X & 2009 Yeti RDH
- 2014 Yeti SB75 & 2015 Spesh Enduro EVO
- 2016 Devinci Troy & 2016 Knolly Delirium
- 2016 Banshee Spitfire & 2017 Knolly Delirium (switched from medium frames to larges)
- 2018 Rocky Altitude & 2017 Knolly Delirium
- 2019 SC Bronson & 2019 Commencal Clash

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Ten years and counting

Photos please!! Easier to understand. Or post the travel too.

Jim Kish welded up the "Timber Spork" for me in 2009. Began life as a straight up 29er hard tail endurance racer, and has recently evolved in to the Godzilla of Monstercrossers.

Wood Natural environment Hardwood Forest Nature reserve

Been around longer than the dog

Wheel Tire Mode of transport Automotive tire Land vehicle

There's nothing I've taken on with it, that the bike hasn't gotten me through and home:
3 Cascade Cream Puffs
3 High Cascade 100's
Whiskey 50
Prescott Monstercross
Antelope Peak Challenge [Airzona Endurance Series]
3 Weaverville 12 hrs
2 Fat 55's
2 San Jacinto Enduros
2 Whisketown 9 to 5's
The Hammerstein 24 hr.
Art Smith trail
Umpqua River trail

I could go on........ makes everything up and down fun, and will cover ground better than anything I've ever cobbled together. I doubt anyone else here has a bike with a longer and more varied service life.

Switched over to Lefties up front in 2011. Drop bars in 2017.

And for the stuff outside of the area, or days, I'm more "challenged" by the terrain, a 2015 Rip9/MRP Stage [Ribbon w/o the fart button]. Funny how these Rip's evolved from the trail category to the equivalent of new school 130/125 travel XC bikes. I built it for events like the True Grit Epic, or Grand Junction 50 miler. It's actually somewhat influenced by one of Menso's Downieville rigs, with a little heavier fork.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim

A good bike, rugged and efficient.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Evil twins?

Bay Area legal trails: XL Following MB in low with 120/120 and 2.35 light-ish tires.

Bay Area unsanctioned and the mountains: L Offering in x-low with 150/140 and 2.6/2.5 meaty tires.

Loving this combo right now. I previously had more spread between my bikes but I just can't do a hardtail over 40 and have no real need for a full-on enduro bike. Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel rim

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.