Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...where was your first experience?

My first time was on a Schwinn High Sierra on National back in 88. Got hooked right away.

Never looked back.

-JB

·
Ridin' Dirty
456 Posts
umm....are you talking about biking?

if so, I started messing around at Papago a bit, then tried DC and I was also hooked right away. Addicting sport it is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My first rides were on Trail 100 back in the late 80s. But I didn't get hooked until 1998 when I discovered the whoops de whoops at Pima and Dynamite. Since that time I have ridden just about every trail in the Phoenix area, Tucson, Flag, Sedona, Prescott, Payson, etc.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,081 Posts
azmountainbiker said:
My first rides were on Trail 100 back in the late 80s. But I didn't get hooked until 1998 when I discovered the whoops de whoops at Pima and Dynamite. Since that time I have ridden just about every trail in the Phoenix area, Tucson, Flag, Sedona, Prescott, Payson, etc.
My first mountain bike was a Raleigh. I brought it to Geology field camp in central UT back in 86 and rode the dirt roads to the top of the Wasatch plateau on my days off from school. No singletrack for me back then, but it was definitely the beginning.

Attachments

·
It's a slugfest!
740 Posts
The old "Pinacle Peak" trail back in late 80's early 90's. They were running the Catus Cup races out there back then. Man, that was a fun trail to ride before they shut-er-down and turned her into golf courses and such...

Hooked like a crack whore...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Silver_Slug said:
The old "Pinacle Peak" trail back in late 80's early 90's. They were running the Catus Cup races out there back then. Man, that was a fun trail to ride before they shut-er-down and turned her into golf courses and such...

Hooked like a crack whore...
Are the sections of trail that go through McDowell Mountain Ranch that hook up to Lost Dog Wash part of the old "Pinacle Peak" trail?

·
im4Gsus
2,196 Posts
late 2000 in west palm beach florida on a rigid, hardtail schwinn. the trail was a 3-mile single track loop thru a swampy forest. i liked it a lot and planned on going back but then i moved here in april of 2001. a friend took me to the east/west loops at south mountain - same bike - and i was hooked! i absolutely loved it and have been consistently riding since then.
yeah, fun can start after 45! :p

·
It's a slugfest!
740 Posts
No. The Pinnacle Peak trail started at the Pinnacle Peak Patio Steakhouse and was about an 8 mile loop that stayed fairly close to the Peak. They held the Cactus Cup series race there for several years before it was sold off for development.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I moved to Long Island in my mid-twenties. After summer beach season ended I bought a GT Timberline and enjoyed discovering where it could take me.

Not knowing alot of people I spent weekends exploring greenbelts and lighthouses. One fall Saturday I was on a faint deserted trail which crossed over a huge complex of 10 buildings. Each was labeled a different discipline such as "Medical", "Surgery", and "Psychiatric". It was obvious the buildings were deserted from missing glass, weeds, and deserted streets. It was very creepy being there alone and I loved the rush of exploring it.

Attachments

·
Large wheels & one gear
719 Posts
For me.....The year was 1993. Young lad I was. Full of energy, a will for success and victory that would make most pro athletes cry. It was a cold snow filled day up in Utah. I found myself wandering into the LBS in search for something, something that would quench this thirst I was thirsting for...........Ok, enough. 1993, bought a Giant Sedona. Hit the local trails in Salt Lake City,Ut. Had a big styrafoam helmet and a grin of discovering the joy of mountain biking. Got into it more heavily in 1997 when I bought a GT XTC FS bike and started riding the trails in Las Vegas. Have been addicted since.

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
I waited until I was married. Actually, we were married for a year before I got any action. On our 1 year anniversary we returned to Sedona (where our honeymoon was) and I finally got a chance on the Bell Rock Pathway. I was a bit awkward, as I had to borrow equipment from my father-in-law in order to perform, but now it's all good as I'm a bit more experienced. :thumbsup:

·
my knees hurt
462 Posts
1988 Hartshorn trail in Atlantic Highlands, NJ....on a 40+ pound Huffy (yes I said Huffy) that lasted about two months before I broke the frame.... My first nice bike was a Specialized Rockhopper Expert with Suntour XC components, it was state of the art due to its top mount thumb shifters that had indexing:thumbsup:

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,761 Posts
Red Schwinn Sting-Ray - mid-70's
Red Team Mongoose - late-70's to early-80's
Blue 1981 Honda Accord - 1984 - 1997
Blue 1986 Fisher Pro Caliber - 1986 - 2005
Grey 1987 Colnago Super - 1987 - 2005
Blue 1988 Cannondale Criterium with Shimano Sante - 1988 - 2000
Yellow 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight - 2001 to 2004
Silver 2004 Turner 5-Spot - 2004 to present
2005 Gunnar Ruffian - 2005 to present
2006 Kona Explosif 2-9 - 2006 to present

·
Registered
148 Posts
Zap who ? ? ?

Got out of "School" and went to work for my BELOVED Hi-Torque (read Motocross Action, Dirt Bike, a couple gay quad magazines, BMX-Plus! and Mountain Bike Action).

I was several time State-Champ racing Motocross, but wasn't versed in the art of "Brown-Nosing" -- still am NOT into it! Because I didn't call Roland (Publisher) "Chief" like the other's "in-house", I was looked down upon by the editorial staff of my favorite mags: MXA and Dirt Bike! :madman:

Couldn't believe that I couldn't get a bike to use?!? :rolleyes:

Hello, Wisconsin State Champ, hello?!?!!!!! :rolleyes:

Grrrrr... :madman: :madmax:

The Senior Editor to MBA at that time was Zapata Espinoza and he let me use a bicycle to help "curb my need" and fill the gap "not riding" was presenting -- GT Karakorum I think? It was Blaze orange and '91.
Didn't ride too much initially and used the "seat-Sack" to hold my Marby-Lights.
*Yeah, DORKUS - MAXIMUS ! ! ! :nono:

I've got a compulsive-addictive personality (anyone on here reading this that know me SO knows this. . . :D

Really, really got tired of getting smoked when doing "group-rides" -- no pun intended -- and got more and more and more into cycling.
Haven't touched a smoke in like 15 years -- couldn't PAY ME to have one! Still send Zap and Rhonnette a Christmas card every year cause HE's the one that got me into this. Funny how he's now living back about an hour from where I grew up back in Cheese-ville (WI -- working at Trek of all places!).

Harv out.
:thumbsup:

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
sgaarmy said:
What equipment are you refering to?
It was a Trek 990. It didn't quite fit, and the seat hurt my girly bits, so soon after that trip I got my own equipment.

sgaarmy said:
How would you rate your performance now?
I've added more toys to the closet and now enjoy a variety...from 7" in the rear to fully rigid. All of them get used, and I'm willing to experiment with almost anything.

sgaarmy said:
And after your honeymoon, so your a late bloomer?
Yep, but I'm making up for lost time. :ihih:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The sand pits in Stanhope, NJ - 1972.

This immediately and directly lead to riding every bicycle owned from that point on off-road.

Since 1972, I've never stopped riding trails. From 74 till 92 it was a BMX bike.

The first "official" MTB was a 1992 Rocky Mountain Hammer and it's been MTB since then,
4 or 5 days a week on avg.

·
Registered
259 Posts
'81/'83

July 1983 in Cannon Beach, Oregon. I rented a Ross ( not sure of the model) from Mikes Bikes and headed up the coastal hills. I bombed a downhill, did a two wheel drift around a couple of turns and had a smile on my face that made me wince. Hooked.

Previously, I rode and raced BMX from 1975 onward. When it seemed that I had outgrown BMX bikes ( I was 18) in 1981 , I sought out trying to replicate some bikes that I saw in a magazine article about the Mt. Tam crew. The article was in a hybrid skate,bike,boogey board mag that came out in '79-80 ? I think it was a mag put out by surfer or skateboarder magazine that only lasted a couple of years. I wish I could remember the name, better yet I wish I would have saved that issue. Regardless, my bike ended up being more of a beach cruiser than proto-MTB, but I rode it on trails anyway.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.