Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to take the plunge for 24 Solo events next year. I'll be 17 when that race rolls around..
I'll more than likely be registering for next years Canmore race. So I've got plenty of time to prepare.

I would love any first-timer tips on the setup of my pit, food, training (not entire regiments, but just tips on training that will help) etc.
I know it's early to be asking all this, but I figure the I'd rather take in all this information and find things out way before-hand.
I'm not looking to be competitve, just to finish. I want to aim to stay on the bike as much as possible (aka not taking any overly long stops at the pit)
Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should pass on a little background info:
I've been mountain bike racing XC for 3 years now. I just recently got upgraded to the 'Sport class' in my local race series so my races are usually 20-30 km, 1:45-2:00 hour races. I like to think my fitness is fairly good right now, but I obviously am going to need to focus on endurance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hey man. my first solo 24 hour race was at the age of 17. I was not able to finish my first 24 solo race but i rode the whole 24 hours at my second one later that year in Moab. I am now hooked and have had a podium finish since at the old pueblo 24 hour race which qualified me for the solo world championships in late july. I am now 18 and am really excited to here that there is some other youngin doing 24 hour solo races. as far as food goes i think you need to do one to figure that all out. use your first 24 solo race as a learning experience and go from there. it really helped me when i did it that way. As far as training goes i spent alot of time in the gym doing lower body workouts with a little upper body thrown in there. as for riding, i spent alot of time on the bike. during the week i woulld have rides between 3-4 hours and a weekend ride of about 6 to 7 hours. remember when you are training recovery is very important too. during the race you will run into some tuff times both mentally and physically. mine usually comes around about 6 hours in and then i seem to be fine. i also usually run into another tuff time right before the sun comes up just from being sick of the night riding. just remember that it is a mental game when you are doing these. just try and have as much fun as possible. Let me know how you do and good luck!

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, makes sense that I've gotta figure out food myself. I'm looking into doing a couple 7-9 hour rides a month or two before the race to try to nail my nutrition and figure out what works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well apart from going into the whole "are you sure this is good for you while you're growing up?" thing...

I've been racing for 4 years now, off to Canmore in a few weeks, and still to put a perfect 24 together. But you can read about some of my screw ups and some lessons learnt here:

http://spoonboy.solonutter.org/blog/?cat=5

Also maybe check out some of my 8's and 12's race reports, as I've done a lot of playing and refining here too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Spoonie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.