Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Angry Singlespeeder
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the thread from last weekend's get together and I'm so bummed/jealous I couldn't attend. Looks like you guys and gals had a blast!

My buddy Travis was up there with his girlfriend and her two boys - 4 and 5 years old - and yes, they rode the entire trail! According to some locals, the youngest ever. Check out these videos, they're hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trav102&search_type=&aq=f

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
He even rode on a skinny side of a 2X4 on his own! awesome.

YouTube is amazing. I start by watching a 4 year old on a bike, two clicks later I'm watching a hottie walking around stage in a swimsuit contest.... :thumbsup:

·
Hardtail Warrior
509 Posts
Well at least it's gotta be almost impossible to endo like that. I'm sure the child could sustain some insane injury though but not likely. The rider seems skilled and appears to know what to ride and how to do it.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Wait, where's the hottie? I didn't get so lucky in the cookie farming roulette spin. PM me yo!. ;)

dan51 said:
He even rode on a skinny side of a 2X4 on his own! awesome.

YouTube is amazing. I start by watching a 4 year old on a bike, two clicks later I'm watching a hottie walking around stage in a swimsuit contest.... :thumbsup:

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
My son Nick did Butcher/3rd/1st when he was 9 on his own bike. There were some spots on the way down where he wasn't happy walking, but the stoke from the other riders in town turned it into a pleasant memory for him.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Maybe not youngest, but damn good!

I remember my early trips to Downieville around '94 or '95 when Henry O. worked with Willie at Coyote Adventures...I'm guessing Henry was one of the youngest to shred the local trails.

I also remember Amber Ramos, who was a young phenom, but dissappeared soon after turning pro at age 14.

From the Tahoedailytribune- Amber Ramos Turns Pro

"At 8, she was invited to the U.S. Olympic Training Center.

-- At 9, NORBA mandated that she get an expert license after jealous parents complained that she was sandbagging by winning time after time in a class that didn't suit her ability.

-- At 11, she rode her bike across Nevada - 500 miles in five days.

-- At 13, held the national cross country and mountain bike championship titles for juniors 18 and under simultaneously. Last year, she also won seven of the eight NORBA national races she competed in, finishing second once because of a flat tire.

But what really distinguished Ramos as a pro was how she fared against pro riders in various races last year:

-- In the Downieville Classic, an 8-mile climb and 22-mile descent, Ramos beat 80 percent of the men and all of the female entries, including pros.

-- At Sierra-at-Tahoe's Huckleberry Hustle, Ramos beat pro racer Audrey Augustine, who was fifth at Mammoth last year.

-- In setting the course record for the second successive year in the Claim Jumper in Austin, Nev., Ramos bested all of the pro women.

"When your kids get excited about something, it brings the whole family together," Reve said.

Ramos hopped on a mountain bike at 8, but she only focuses on the sport during the spring and summer. The rest of the year is devoted to running and skiing, sports that don't suffer because of her mountain biking prowess.

As a freshman last year at South Tahoe High, Ramos was the Nevada girls state cross country runner-up and fifth in the 3,200 meters at the state track and field meet. In between her running seasons, Ramos squeezed in a runner-up finish at the U.S. Junior National Freestyle Skiing Championships and was fifth at the seniors nationals in the first run before a rare fall on the second run took her out of medal contention.

To understand what separates Ramos from many athletes, look no further than her pain threshold and determination. At the previous NORBA national last month in Deer Valley, Utah, Ramos tore a hamstring muscle during a hillclimb race. Instead of seeking the comforts of a stretcher, Ramos used her healthy leg to pedal across the finish line for second place."

Back in the late 90's, Amber looked like the next Julie Furtado.

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
Sorry to feed the troll but...

Offdeez said:
...but hey, it's your kids health! good Luck
...i'll make it short.
How about Visa style;
-Trail-a bike=$200
-Childsize full face helmet= $100
-adequately equipped 1st aid kit (just in case)=$30
-Spending time with your son practicing mountain biking and then shooting a couple of videos of what you both learned how to do instead of plopping him in front of the Xbox while you go ride because your afraid he'll get hurt= priceless.

If CPS arrests you over those videos i'm sure i can find a lot of pop warner football videos that would put other parents away for life!

Keep up the good parenting, Genshammer. Teaching him to overcome obstacles like those at four makes me wonder what kind of obstacles he'll be able to overcome when he grow up. :thumbsup:

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
Genshammer said:
Looking at the thread from last weekend's get together and I'm so bummed/jealous I couldn't attend. Looks like you guys and gals had a blast!

My buddy Travis was up there with his girlfriend and her two boys - 4 and 5 years old - and yes, they rode the entire trail! According to some locals, the youngest ever. Check out these videos, they're hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trav102&search_type=&aq=f
What's up Gens? I wasn't going to remind you of what you missed at Downy.

We missed you out there man! It was off the shizzle.

fc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Biker_Scout_Sparky said:
...i'll make it short.
How about Visa style;
-Trail-a bike=$200
-Childsize full face helmet= $100
-adequately equipped 1st aid kit (just in case)=$30
-Spending time with your son practicing mountain biking and then shooting a couple of videos of what you both learned how to do instead of plopping him in front of the Xbox while you go ride because your afraid he'll get hurt= priceless.

If CPS arrests you over those videos i'm sure i can find a lot of pop warner football videos that would put other parents away for life!

Keep up the good parenting, Genshammer. Teaching him to overcome obstacles like those at four makes me wonder what kind of obstacles he'll be able to overcome when he grow up. :thumbsup:
I have never seen a 4 year old play pop warner, but yeah!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.