Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I ended up liquid nailling another ply board on the bottom of that one, and that fixed the from lean because of board flex issue, if anyone else plans on this build, try a more solid base.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Looks good. You have me rethinking my hook in the ceiling :)

If you use outdoor plywood I don't think occasional wetting will ever cause it to rot. Even with regular plywood, you'll be OK for years. Water doesn't really hurt wood. It is being constantly wet that causes mold, algae, and bacteria to grow and feed on the wood that you want to avoid.

For rigidity, I would add a frame under the plywood made out of 2x4s.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
There's some pretty nice stands on ebay for around 50 or 60 bucks shipped...some people might get put off thinking they're too cheap to be any good, but a coupla of them are good.Look for the ones the seller says they sold a ton of them...you got ebay protection and I'd say those amounts they show are pretty true.Ebay wouldn't let them sell 'em if people were complaining all the time.In my opinion, at 50 or 60 bucks shipped,why go through the trouble of building one...unless you just wanna do it.check em out sometime.Maybe they're not as good as park or Feedback stands, but they're ;retty much OK.

This one might work for ya.
Rad Cycle Products Pro Bicycle Bike Adjustable Repair Stand | eBay

Some other sellers might have this stand cheaper.Two people I know are satisfied with this one.
Only drawback is you gotta support the bike while you're clamping it up.They were like 50 bucks shipped a while back.Search around for one if this price is too much.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
There's some pretty nice stands on ebay for around 50 or 60 bucks shipped...some people might get put off thinking they're too cheap to be any good, but a coupla of them are good.Look for the ones the seller says they sold a ton of them...you got ebay protection and I'd say those amounts they show are pretty true.Ebay wouldn't let them sell 'em if people were complaining all the time.In my opinion, at 50 or 60 bucks shipped,why go through the trouble of building one...unless you just wanna do it.check em out sometime.Maybe they're not as good as park or Feedback stands, but they're ;retty much OK.

This one might work for ya.
Rad Cycle Products Pro Bicycle Bike Adjustable Repair Stand | eBay

Some other sellers might have this stand cheaper.Two people I know are satisfied with this one.
Only drawback is you gotta support the bike while you're clamping it up.They were like 50 bucks shipped a while back.Search around for one if this price is too much.
Here ya go.
Amazon.com: RAD Cycle Products Pro Bicycle Adjustable Repair Stand: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just loop 2 camlock tie down straps around rafters in my garage and hang my bike from them.
No the swinging doesn't bother me.

That is a nice home built stand. I'm lazy....if it takes me more than 5 minutes, I'd just buy a stand.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just loop 2 camlock tie down straps around rafters in my garage and hang my bike from them.

That is a nice home built stand. I'm lazy....if it takes me more than 5 minutes, I'd just buy a stand.
I haven't done it, but had already planned on doing this until I get a stand.

Honestly, I can't see building your own stand when cheap end stands can be had for roughly the same cost as materials.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I've been using a trainer that I'm borrowing since I don't have a bike stand. Here is a really crappy picture:

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle part

A bike stand would be a lot better though :)

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

·
Village Newbie
79 Posts
I made one up of stuff I've been saving that was considered scrap steel. I started with 1 folding table leg (the big tables that have 2 folding legs)
I saved a horizontal bar from a patio adult swing one of those stand alone units made from tube steel, I cut off the 2 tubular ends and the horizontal cross bars, started it with a gas axe, but it was too smokey a sawzall was faster.
Made couple of adapters and boxed in and welded the fittings to a plate that was welded to the end for the base. I had to cut the top bar off and refit it with the rotating collar on it. The hanger extension just a 12" piece of 3/4 blk pipe.

folded up.

wood block clamp

Probably took me 3 hours to make this, didnt cost a thing since I reused most of the stuff I stripped from something else, my scrap pile has lots of stuff in it including walmart bike frames. The stand only weights a few pounds, and has 2 bolts that need to be loosened to fold up the bottom & top, I cut the horizontal bar in a patterned half and boxed in the top part. Used a nut and wrench for a stop, it looks kinda crude but I'm pretty it break except the wood blocks. I like using the harbor freight wrenches for projects, grind the chrome off, bevel and weld.

·
Registered
195 Posts
being a woodworker. The two pieces of wood are screwed on. The Pony bar clamps come with a set of pre-drilled holes on the clamping face. Now any of the clone import pipe clamps don't do that. If you have a good drill press, you can dril the holes yourself, but if not then I would suggest you take a piece of sandpaper to remove the paint from the clamping face, and use some two part epoxy to glue the pieces of wood on. Make sure you don't squeeze out all the epoxy when gluing it or it will fail.

As for thehollow on the board.. it's not round but a V cut into the face of the board.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I made the same stand as J Hartman but used a pallet I had laying around as the base. Just screwed a 3/4" piece of plywood to the pallet and it's quite sturdy. Very easy too... The clamp was very inexpensive at Harbor Freight and the pipe and fittings are cheap at Home Depot. Had the pallet, plywood and 2x4 just lying around. Hardest part was determining what height I wanted.

·
Registered
663 Posts

Something like this. For years I just used a
Couple of lengths of para cord attached to the rafters

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's cool that you built your own stand but for the material cost you can have something a lot more practical and adjustable.

I bought this one for $53 shipped on Amazon and it's held up to my 27.5+ FS bike just fine.

Product Red Line Orange Parallel

·
Dave's not here.
428 Posts
It's cool that you built your own stand but for the material cost you can have something a lot more practical and adjustable.

I bought this one for $53 shipped on Amazon and it's held up to my 27.5+ FS bike just fine.

View attachment 1201705
That looks similar to the Bikemate stand I picked up from Aldi. It's actually a decent stand.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.