Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On street motorcycles the warning was that you will wreck. It is just a matter of time. The warning of dirt bikes was that you will get hurt. It is just a matter of time.

Currently, I have a fat bike for winter riding and dirt trails, a Catrike 559, and a upright road bike (Trek Verve). Pretty safe machines. I'm not sure you can even wreck a trike.

As I look at FS bikes like the Fuel EX, I wonder if mountain bikes have the same warning. You will get hurt. Breaking a shoulder, arm, ribs, or a leg, defeats the reason I ride (health and fitness).

Anyone able to avoid serious injuries while mountain biking? Or is a root or bolder eventually gonna get you,...it's just a matter of time?

·
Registered
183 Posts
the motorbike community has an acronym: ATGATT
(you're probably familiar with this concept if your MTBR handle is a reference to Kawasaki Ninja motorbike)

All the gear, all the time. Shorthand for a philosophy that a full set of motorcycle safety gear should be worn at all times, and gear should not be reduced at times when the perceived risk is less.

This idea can be used in Mountain Biking as well. For some, all the gear is a helmet and gloves. For others it's full face helmet, gloves, knee pads, elbow pads, mouth guard....heck Troy Lee Designs even sells a shirt like thing that incorporates padding for shoulders, ribs, collar bones, back protector.

Wear your gear when you ride.

If you are afraid of getting hurt while riding, hit the gym and get on a treadmill or spin bike for health and fitness (just don't fall off!).

Marcus

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
You control what you do or not do. This past weekend I walked down two steep hillsides that were beyond my paygrade. I did the entire freeride/enduro trail ride with not one scratch. Perfectly fine with me as I dont get pay as a pro rider, so I dont need to take that risk.

Also know that sometimes amazingly talented rider crashes on the simplest fireroad turn washing out. They let their guard down for a moment. These are the guys that are doing 30 feet gap jumps with no hesitation.

Crashes happen. How big, how small, and how much risk you take is under self control. We all live only once, be aware of the risk, and be smart about what it takes to mitigate that risk. Thats about all we can do. Otherwise live is pretty boring right?

One thing I know, if all I do is ride flat fireroad on a mtb, the chance of getting hurt is much lower than if I am at a bike park’s jump trail. And if I get hurt on the fireroad flat trail, it probably will be scrapes that can be brushed off.

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
On street motorcycles the warning was that you will wreck. It is just a matter of time. The warning of dirt bikes was that you will get hurt. It is just a matter of time.

Currently, I have a fat bike for winter riding and dirt trails, a Catrike 559, and a upright road bike (Trek Verve). Pretty safe machines. I'm not sure you can even wreck a trike.

As I look at FS bikes like the Fuel EX, I wonder if mountain bikes have the same warning. You will get hurt. Breaking a shoulder, arm, ribs, or a leg, defeats the reason I ride (health and fitness).

Anyone able to avoid serious injuries while mountain biking? Or is a root or bolder eventually gonna get you,...it's just a matter of time?
I like the risks of mountain biking way more than the risks of road riding. I can control the all most all the risks on my mountain bike. I can slow down, chose a safer line, walk etc. Wildlife and mechanical failures are probably the only things outside that I can't control.

Presumably, baring a mechanical failure you could ride your mountain bike well within your limits and not crash or fall at all. Road is totally different. No matter how much I control my risk I can't control pedestrians, cars, or oncoming bikes.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I like the risks of mountain biking way more than the risks of road riding. I can control the all most all the risks on my mountain bike. I can slow down, chose a safer line, walk etc. Wildlife and mechanical failures are probably the only things outside that I can't control.

Presumably, baring a mechanical failure you could ride your mountain bike well within your limits and not crash or fall at all. Road is totally different. No matter how much I control my risk I can't control pedestrians, cars, or oncoming bikes.
I agree completely. Once people started scrolling Facebook while driving around town I sold the road bike.

My riding partner broke his arm in 4 places when a deer jumped in front of him. I watched it happen in slow motion right in front of me. You honestly just never know.

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
I agree completely. Once people started scrolling Facebook while driving around town I sold the road bike.

My riding partner broke his arm in 4 places when a deer jumped in front of him. I watched it happen in slow motion right in front of me. You honestly just never know.
Better a deer than a camry anyday.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yes, unless you're insanely lucky, you WILL crash and potentially get seriously hurt if you ride your mountain bike that was it was intended to be ridden. FWIW, I've been riding since 1988. I've had TWO serious injury accidents. One in 2012 (fractured 4 ribs....still went on a road trip to Fruita a week later and rode every day) and one in 2014 (fractured C1 & C2 when I went over the bars at TWO mph). Both accidents happed at the local area closest to my house on trails I've ridden 100+ times and had no business crashing on.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yes, unless you're insanely lucky, you WILL crash and potentially get seriously hurt if you ride your mountain bike that was it was intended to be ridden. FWIW, I've been riding since 1988. I've had TWO serious injury accidents. One in 2012 (fractured 4 ribs....still went on a road trip to Fruita a week later and rode every day) and one in 2014 (fractured C1 & C2 when I went over the bars at TWO mph). Both accidents happed at the local area closet to my house on trails I've ridden 100+ times and had no business crashing.
Worst crash I have had so far was 100 yards from the parking lot. I've ridden this spot literally thousands of times, tired and coasting after riding 3 hours and left one foot down, which I know better. Clipped the pedal and uprooted a rock from the earth.

·
Registered
13,268 Posts
Yes, you will eventually crash, it's just a matter of when and how bad. Whether you get seriously hurt depends on a lot of things but the slower you're going and safer you're trying to be, usually means less serious injury. Having said that, some of my worst injuries have happened when I was going relatively slow on fairly easy, familiar trails. Luck of the draw. If you don't like being hurt, you likely will eventually decide you don't like mountain biking.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
3,088 Posts
I use it as a mindset to be ready that you will crash not to scare me.

The only more serious accident on a motorbike and I crashed a few times was in full leathers after lets say a more spirited day of riding.
Was when on my way home riding home in a very easy going way.
Looked up at the pretty blue socal sky for that darn split second and did not see a patch of gravel in an almost single digit speed turn and I body slammed myself and the bike onto the tarmac.
The aftermath of that and not being 20 or 30 anymore by a long stretch took out of the fun of that.

She is still sitting in the garage insured and registered ready to go for years.
Sometimes I start her up and she runs rough since she has not been ridding in awhile while I caress her curvy lines.

Oops did I say that out loud?

·
Registered
305 Posts

Lol, ive been a motorcycle safety instructor, I have been teaching for the un-named association of dangerous **** (NRA but no longer) for over a decade, ive been mountain biking for a long time and on the road even longer. If you do anything long enough, dude, you are going to get hurt. Period. The warning on bikes is that, you should have this assembled and cared for by a professional, or we are not liable (you will get hurt). They all say wear a helmet on them as well, for a reason.

To answer your second question. Yes, I have been hurt on the road, I have been hurt on the mountain, I have never been hurt by or hurt someone with a firearm, although ive seen people hurt themselves (kill) and others (hurt) with firearms. I have hurt others with bicycles more, I ran a dude over once, he deserved it, his own words. Ive been hit by a car (a few, not my fault) and ive killed animals (many with a bike, once this week, and a few with guns, none with cars, not that I know of).

-Paul

·
I get knocked down...
293 Posts
Yup, out here in Santa Barbara CA most riding is gnarly rocky, have broke the same toe 2x, another one 1x, broke 1 kneecap r as I didn't have knee pads on, and took 2 boulders to the chest 2x which made me doubt all my riding skills (which I still lack) and crashed more..... all in 1 year. Gear. I change it out depending on the terrain. If I don't know, I bring it all to change out just in case.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Ive gotten more injuries on the road bike than mtb. Just last week coming down from my after work road climb on sweeper after fastest straight. Spun out on gearing so must have been around 40mph on the straight, but slowed for the turn. Hit patch of loose dirt/gravel that worked its way onto the tarmac in the turn. Bike did the jiggle dance of doom but i was able to recover. That would have been ugly. Still going to hit that route this evening.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been walking for over 59 years, you know I can't count how many times I've tripped and fell. life causes death, don't worry and have fun. if you don't want to get hurt stay inside and don't go out in the dangerous world. I hate pain and as I sit here with another injury, this time from mtb riding I have a separated shoulder. so many injuries I can't count but my love for sport overrides my fear. I've raced so many different types of things but when I was an instructor for the Porsche club I always started with if you can't write this car off as a total loss then don't put it on the track because stuff happens and it might not be because of something you did. have fun and good luck don't push harder than you feel comfortable with and stay rubber side down.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Yes

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.