Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
I’ve noticed this one doing the rounds of various forums and email lists! Extremely talented is an understatement. I think his name is Jake Shimabukuro, he has a number of videos on You Tube IIRC. :thumbsup:

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
rideit,

I don't know how well you play yourself, but that guy is OK, nothing more. I'm not putting him down, please, but he's not playing anything particularly challenging and his interpretation is pretty unimaginative.

It's a uke, which is why it only has four strings. Check out this short Django Reinhardt clip. Not bad for a gypsy with only two full fingers....

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
SteveUK said:
rideit,

I don't know how well you play yourself, but that guy is OK, nothing more. I'm not putting him down, please, but he's not playing anything particularly challenging and his interpretation is pretty unimaginative.

It's a uke, which is why it only has four strings. Check out this short Django Reinhardt clip. Not bad for a gypsy with only two full fingers....
If the measure of art is the pleasure it brings, then this guy is doing well. 4 and 1/2 stars!

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, steve, I have been a Django fan for 20 years...I consider him to be one of the most pioneering of guitar players in history...but the ukulele is clearly a maligned instrument. I'm still impressed...but there is buttloads of talent, all over the place. Youtube is allowing us to discover it. Kinda cool, IMO.

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drumset Rumble said:
when musicians can play together via the internet.

Real time Interactive high quality video/audio feeds.

That will kick a$$. I give it about 3-4 years....
The possibilites...you could log in and jam annonomously, and slink out if you suck!

Or what be really fun, if you had some solid chops, or were the original musician of something you found some kids covering, you could join in and blow their minds, just for fun!

Musicians could host jamborees, all kinds of musical mayhem.

Just think of trading tracks, and manipulating them, like a good photoshop thread!

·
Advanced Slacker
15,414 Posts
SteveUK said:
rideit,

IMO, he is better than OK, and it is challenging, and I would disagree that it is unimaginitive. I have never seen a uke played like that.

I, too am impressed with DJ, but what does a two fingered guy playing solos on the guitar have to do with a guy playing classical style on th uke?

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Yea, he's pretty good. Okay, he's really good. What about rock? She's 14 and she's infinitely better than me. BTW, she's in my school!

·
i drink shower water
1,189 Posts
Jake Shimabukuro is not some guy. he is pretty well known in this area of music. his measure of awesomeness can be determined by preference. That song he is playing is not the hardest, its not spanish fly, but its not come are you are either. so its tough in a sense. Also as a classic rock LOVER and music history student i think you all should know that as rad as george harrison is he did not write this song alone Eric Clapton helped him write it. And if you download the version with clapton playing it is easy to see who the better guitarist is.

EDIT: Andy Mckee is rad... his CD Art of Motion is killer to listen to.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Kapusta,

You're opinion is that the guy is great, mine is that he's not.

"I have never seen a uke played like that."

I've heard and played with players who make him sound like he's just 'OK', it's all relative. I agree that he plays well, but, honestly, in the scheme of things, his playing and/or expression is nothing particularly special. I may begin to form a different opinion if I heard soemthing he'd written himself, but the clip I've seen does not inspire me to trouble myself with the research.

"I, too am impressed with DJ, but what does a two fingered guy playing solos on the guitar have to do with a guy playing classical style on th uke?"

'DJ'? Do you mean Django? You know what? You either get it, or you don't.

·
Weekend Warrior
138 Posts
I guess we could all list of musicians that could " blow you away" but as we are talking about the Arts where judgment is personal preference, I don't think you could ever name an artist or band thant everyone would like (or apprecicate).
However, this forum titled "Passion" and passion is one thing this crazy uke player has got.

BTW check out "Friday night in San Francisco" by John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola & Paco De Lucia. It was a bit of spontaneous magic when three master technicians get together.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.