Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to attempt the waterfall on National for quite some time. But at this point i keep chickening out. Does anyone have pics or video of them rolling this section. I've had riders explaining the line they take but have yet to watch anyone do it. I think seeing it will help me tackle this obstacle with more confidence. Thanks all.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
rkonindustry said:
I've been wanting to attempt the waterfall on National for quite some time. But at this point i keep chickening out. Does anyone have pics or video of them rolling this section. I've had riders explaining the line they take but have yet to watch anyone do it. I think seeing it will help me tackle this obstacle with more confidence. Thanks all.
Come out tomorrow (Sunday, 7 am at the ramadas) for the ride - we'll be going up and down that section on our way to and back from BV. I WON'T be riding it, but others may.

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
No video

rkonindustry said:
I got no video, but if you want next week we can roll on up there and I'll show you a few of the lines. I am off from work tues-fri. We can get you down it easy.
John

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
I got no big bike

DJBiker said:
and I'm in . . . oh wait, we talking DH or XC/Trail bike?

DH, I could always use some schooling from "da Evil"
I got no big bike at the moment, but I'll ride whatever trails on the mtn you guys want to take on the SS. I'll just be slower on the nastiness. We could ride up and "practice" the waterfall, then continue up and drop Holberto or Geronimo.
Holla

·
Registered
504 Posts
petefagerlin.com

Has quite a few vids that involve the waterfall. Hopefully he still has Huffyboy's endo vid posted just so you can have some more anxiety.
Actually it is not that bad especially once you realize that you can make it. Try following someone down.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I dug around a bit, and couldn't find any going down. But I did find this going up clip, circa 1993 baby! I think this was filmed with one of those giant, shoulder mounted camcorders of the time.

Right-click save as:
Here

·
Registered
527 Posts
bugaroo said:
Has quite a few vids that involve the waterfall. Hopefully he still has Huffyboy's endo vid posted just so you can have some more anxiety.
Actually it is not that bad especially once you realize that you can make it. Try following someone down.
A must see....

http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_gallery.htm

Check out the "old carnage" on the right..

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
DJBiker said:
look here to find the video's you seek . . .http://www.petefagerlin.com/azvid.htm

Pete will hook you up with vids on how, how not to (the blooper real) and other great helmet cam footage . . .
wow, that line looks a lot easier then the one I usually take. Noted for next time!

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
rkonindustry said:
Are you serious?! I think i may be out of my league on this one.
Just throwing out the options. ;) Other than myself, I've only seen Alex Hardt take that straight line whenever we're at the Waterfall. At the bottom you end up wheelie-dropping into the sand hole for maximum show-boating effect. Heheh.

For your first time, the best line is probably to cut faaar right at the top, then swing over to the left as you get further down. It's pretty easy really... just keep your arms relaxed and your weight back (over your rear tire). Oh, and don't make sudden changes in direction while you're rolling.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
terminaut said:
Other than myself, I've only seen Alex Hardt take that straight line whenever we're at the Waterfall.
I've done that line hundreds of times, just no pictures or witnesses. Then I woke up and realized my dog was licking my feet. :D

I was there on Sunday and AZ Mikey said that that line has been "sanitized" over the years and is much easier now. Still in my dreams though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
terminaut said:
Just throwing out the options. ;) Other than myself, I've only seen Alex Hardt take that straight line whenever we're at the Waterfall. At the bottom you end up wheelie-dropping into the sand hole for maximum show-boating effect. Heheh.
And I thought I was the only one dumb enough to try that line :) The last time I did though, I snapped my crank arm off on the impact of wheelie dropping into the sand hole. It was really fun riding the rest of National with one leg.

The easiest way down is definitely around the big rock at the top on right. Then there is a nice groove you can just roll down.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally got to see the videos. Those were awesome. I felt pretty confident till i saw the blooper reel. Ouch. Has anyone seen/done from bottom to top ridden. I saw the guys clear the bottom half but the video jumps to the next clip. I'm assuming they don't make it to the top.

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
I prefer the spine

MFC said:
And I thought I was the only one dumb enough to try that line :) The last time I did though, I snapped my crank arm off on the impact of wheelie dropping into the sand hole. It was really fun riding the rest of National with one leg.

The easiest way down is definitely around the big rock at the top on right. Then there is a nice groove you can just roll down.
I prefer the spine, I hate the line to the right, but thats just me (it is easier though). I personally think the easiest line is just left of the spine is a channel you can kind of skip across, then you are set up to drop straight into the drop/step. The SS line is one of the toughest to me, but its always fun to mix it up. Lots of fun, now if only I could climb it. :rolleyes:

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
rkonindustry said:
Has anyone seen/done from bottom to top ridden. I saw the guys clear the bottom half but the video jumps to the next clip. I'm assuming they don't make it to the top.
I have spent quite a bit of time trying. It seems to get more difficult as the years pass, it's not me, its the trail, I swear! I have concluded that it's not possible without pulling out some serious trials moves.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.