Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the entry form for Leadville MTB race today. Holly mother of God!!! This must be a joke? $250.00 to race a fireroad and pavement!! This is a joke right? Out and back!!
Holly mother of MTB racing. Mohican 100 is only $125, Lumberjack 100 is only $125, Tahoe Sierra only $125.Breckenridge 100 $185.
Cream Puff and Leadville $246 and $250. It looks like Breckenridge 100 or Tahoe-Sierra 100. With the cost of living right now I will buy a belt buckle at Target and call it my award.:nono:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Come to Crested Butte next year and do the CB Classic, plenty of first-class singletrack and... It's Free !!

I'm gonna try for Leadville but not too worried about the dough because I probably won't make it through the lottery !! (again)

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
SugerRay said:
I just got the entry form for Leadville MTB race today. Holly mother of God!!! This must be a joke? $250.00 to race a fireroad and pavement!! This is a joke right? Out and back!!
Holly mother of MTB racing. Mohican 100 is only $125, Lumberjack 100 is only $125, Tahoe Sierra only $125.Breckenridge 100 $185.
Cream Puff and Leadville $246 and $250. It looks like Breckenridge 100 or Tahoe-Sierra 100. With the cost of living right now I will buy a belt buckle at Target and call it my award.:nono:
Thats what happens when famous uni-ballers come to get dirty. Gotta keep the riff raff away now that leadville is so well known.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
"now so well known..."

LV been around for along while...agree on the price ouch. I don't mind paying it for the CCP (the course and the support are superb), but fireroad and pavement at that price......errrh nooooo thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was really tempted to throw my name in the hat this year, but after doing the Silverrush 50 at Pbville last year, I just wasn't that impressed with the race or support for that. That was expensive for a 50- $90 or something like that, don't remember. $250 is a lot of money for an out and back on anything, much less fire roads and pavement.

·
Old Joe
46 Posts
The $250 cost of entry is not much when you consider the cost of the belt buckles, the cost of the medals, the cost of the t-shirts, the cost of the sport bag, the cost of the gym rental, the cost of the police and medical back-up, the cost of the office supplies and postage, the cost of the carbo-load pre-race dinner, just to name a few of the costs....if people stand in line to enter then the "high" cost serves to dissuade the wanna-be's, century groupies, recreational riders, and glory-hogs who just want to say that they "rode with Landis or Armstrong"....in total, the entry price separates the serious from the whimsical mountain bike rider....after having been on the "inside" a number of times I can tell you that refunding entry fees, or transfering lottery entries is an astronomical paperwork nightmare....the same can be said for late medical check-in the morning prior to race day: you show, or no go....you gotta pay to get in to play, and you gotta train for the playtime, otherwise you are going to pay in pain and suffering and see a big DNF beside your name....successful entrants with a buckle are either one of two mind-sets: They are in the "one and done club" or they are fully addicted and keep coming back, over and over and over....

·
slow uphill
570 Posts
Old Joe said:
The $250 cost of entry is not much when you consider the cost of the belt buckles, the cost of the medals, the cost of the t-shirts, the cost of the sport bag, the cost of the gym rental, the cost of the police and medical back-up, the cost of the office supplies and postage, the cost of the carbo-load pre-race dinner, just to name a few of the costs....
These events take effort and money to put on, so it is fair to look at this from the business perspective. But you also have to take the opposite side. I've been to great events that run $125 - it is only fair to expect double the quality for $250. To some, a belt buckle is double the prize.

Old Joe said:
if people stand in line to enter then the "high" cost serves to dissuade the wanna-be's, century groupies, recreational riders, and glory-hogs who just want to say that they "rode with Landis or Armstrong"....in total, the entry price separates the serious from the whimsical mountain bike rider....
So in theory, the event could run $125 (or any other figure) in costs, and there is a $125 (or $250 - cost) market premium like one would pay for any "new" or "high profile" item or service. it is what it is, and the market will see it as such. and like you say, you'll get those who pay and those who don't.

not that my $0.02 matter - I won't be there.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Having been involved with helping organize a few free events and a few pay events, the oddest thing to me is that people are more likely to participate in an event they have to pay for. It's true. People want the feeling of having paid for something, it creates a certain level of satisfaction. I don't understand it, but it's a fact.
Also, price is what the vendor sets it at. A friend who is a very succesful still-life artist used to work in an art gallery. He realized that art prices are entirely set by the artist and art was more likely to sell if it's expensive- the people who buy art want to pay money for it. He started painting simple, , high-quality, commercially viable still-lifes- the kind of things people put in their kitchens- and just, with no reputation, charging a couple thousand of bucks. He supports himself doing this...and truly believes it's the high asking price that sells his art as much as the art itself.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
I might be alone here.....bu I think Leadville is worth every cent. It's not about the amenities for me...nor the ratio of singletrack to fireroad.....for me it's the memories of the event that matter to me after the fact.....and for some reason....Leadville has provided me with some of my fondest racing memories.

I'll gladly pay $250 again....maybe even $300.

Just my 2 cents...

B

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Morlahach said:
Supply and demand.

If they set the price at $250 and it still sells out, look for another price hike the following year.
Right on. It will still be a full race, so good for them, the upped what the intend to contribute to the scholarship they support..good for them! That towns needs the $ and support. I'd happily pay it if I had the time to prepare this year, but i'm thinking i won't since i'm getting married this year and some other stuff.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
"the oddest thing to me is that people are more likely to participate in an event they have to pay for. It's true. People want the feeling of having paid for something, it creates a certain level of satisfaction. I don't understand it, but it's a fact. "

I'll have to agree to that! I tried to organize a couple of "grass roots underground races" and advertised everywhere I could think of...
Not many willing to give it a go.
Yet, people will pay close to 60 bucks for a damn 10k running race with 2000 people in town stomping on top of each other like a bunch of baboons in heat...
And, I've discussed this with race organizers for the various marathons, triathalons... they can't get over that people will pay a pretty penny for races.

Almost as though people are suckers for punishment (look at the current financial situation of the country though - just goes to show how foolish things can become).

I vote for more grass-roots under ground racing! Where its at!
(every race has to start some place)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Leadville had a small turnout its first year, too.

Mike Brown said:
Having been involved with helping organize a few free events and a few pay events, the oddest thing to me is that people are more likely to participate in an event they have to pay for.
I think it's not about the cost vs. no cost, it's about notoriety. How many people heard about your event, versus how many have heard of Leadville? Leadville's been around for how long, 14 years?

Also, $250 isn't much money for A LOT of people, just look at some of the bikes out there.

But good for you for organizing free events. Keep it up! Don't get discouraged.

I rode a really low-keyed event out of San Francisco last year. The $15 entry fee included beer at the checkpoints and a BBQ afterward.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
As an old event promoter, I always was of the philosophy of keeping my races as affordable as possible. With Leadville you are paying for the "privilege' of being there in a famous race with all the vibe, etc that comes with that. For some folks, that is well worth the cost, for others, it's not. Make your choice and call it good. As mentioned, there are plenty of sufferfests that are more affordable than Leadville to choose from.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.