Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, I need some input on a xc race tire given the following info.

The average, local xc course, which will be in Pennsylvania, is 40% fire/logging road (yuck!), 60%single track. Both will be quite rocky and you may see a moderate amount of mud depending on the time of year. The rockiness makes the average trail fairly technical by xc course standards. At least a few stream and log crossings pepper the trail. The longer fireroad hill climbs are usually steep and are often 1-1.5 miles.

Bike setup for the rider. Trek 8500 HT, large, mostly XT, with a Mavic 517 on the rear and the same on the front. If it's very wet I'll swap the front out for a disc set up. Fox Float fork at 80mm up front. The rider will be using old fashioned tubed tires. No Stan's or tubless.

Rider. 6'0. 180# plus gear. Technical xc abilities: 7.5/10. Cardiovascular fitness level: 7/10. (Scale: as compared to other expet catagory riders.)

So, given that information what tire would you suggest... Right now I've got a Mutanoraptor Race 2.4 on (listed weight about 595g but some actual weight may be closer to 550g). Yeah a bit heavy for a race tire but these roll very well and do a great job of soaking up the bumps given their large size. Also, keep in mind this is 180# rider on a HT on rocky trails. A super lightweight tire would be slow going on the rough stuff and could very likely pinch flat. I've not tried them but a Bontrager Revolt Super X looks nice. Been through Mosquitoes, too thin, burst. Conti Explorers, too skinny which makes for poor handling on the rocks. Fires, too heavy, clog with mud, don't roll well.

So what would you recomend for this rider?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Miker J said:
Ok folks, I need some input on a xc race tire given the following info.

The average, local xc course, which will be in Pennsylvania, is 40% fire/logging road (yuck!), 60%single track. Both will be quite rocky and you may see a moderate amount of mud depending on the time of year. The rockiness makes the average trail fairly technical by xc course standards. At least a few stream and log crossings pepper the trail. The longer fireroad hill climbs are usually steep and are often 1-1.5 miles.

Bike setup for the rider. Trek 8500 HT, large, mostly XT, with a Mavic 517 on the rear and the same on the front. If it's very wet I'll swap the front out for a disc set up. Fox Float fork at 80mm up front. The rider will be using old fashioned tubed tires. No Stan's or tubless.

Rider. 6'0. 180# plus gear. Technical xc abilities: 7.5/10. Cardiovascular fitness level: 7/10. (Scale: as compared to other expet catagory riders.)

So, given that information what tire would you suggest... Right now I've got a Mutanoraptor Race 2.4 on (listed weight about 595g but some actual weight may be closer to 550g). Yeah a bit heavy for a race tire but these roll very well and do a great job of soaking up the bumps given their large size. Also, keep in mind this is 180# rider on a HT on rocky trails. A super lightweight tire would be slow going on the rough stuff and could very likely pinch flat. I've not tried them but a Bontrager Revolt Super X looks nice. Been through Mosquitoes, too thin, burst. Conti Explorers, too skinny which makes for poor handling on the rocks. Fires, too heavy, clog with mud, don't roll well.

So what would you recomend for this rider?

Thanks,

Mike
I would look at the Schwalbe range: Racing Ralph, Albert, Big Jim, all in the 2.25 size. Mix and match as you see fit. Others:
  • Michelin XL S 2.10
  • Nokian NBX 2.3 (or the soon to be available NBX 2.2 Lite)
  • Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal 2.10

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shiggy...

shiggy©®™ said:
I would look at the Schwalbe range: Racing Ralph, Albert, Big Jim, all in the 2.25 size. Mix and match as you see fit. Others:
  • Michelin XL S 2.10
  • Nokian NBX 2.3 (or the soon to be available NBX 2.2 Lite)
  • Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal 2.10

I like the look of the racing Ralphs. By the looks of the size and weights of those recommendations it doesn't appear that you'd consider the Mutanos overkill give my size and conditions. Correct?

It's a tough call. I'm so hooked on fat, big knobbie tires for trail riding (usually a Survival or Nevegal in the back and a Vert or Nevegal up front) that its hard for me to make the transistion to racing tires. Last year I ran Mosquitoes. It seems like it's best to go with the lightest, slickest tire one can handle in the rough just so you can make good time on the fire roads.

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Miker J said:
I like the look of the racing Ralphs. By the looks of the size and weights of those recommendations it doesn't appear that you'd consider the Mutanos overkill give my size and conditions. Correct?

It's a tough call. I'm so hooked on fat, big knobbie tires for trail riding (usually a Survival or Nevegal in the back and a Vert or Nevegal up front) that its hard for me to make the transistion to racing tires. Last year I ran Mosquitoes. It seems like it's best to go with the lightest, slickest tire one can handle in the rough just so you can make good time on the fire roads.

Thanks again,

Mike
I think the tires I suggested would grip better and roll as well as the Mutano. They all are at least as large as the Conti 2.3s also.

I would tend to go with the tire that works better on the singletrack. That is where you spend the most time and have the potential the lose or gain the most time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts