Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...you have three bikes in your garage but have no kids.
...you can't go through an airport without setting off every metal detector.
...you hear banjo music and start to pedal faster.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
mcginnis842 said:
...you have three bikes in your garage but have no kids.
Or you have 22 bikes at the house (and a couple in other places because one resident is still traveling) and only two kids (albeit, both kids have atleast 3 bikes) and two adults. Oh, and a few that are hung up as art in your place of business, and about 5 frames, some broken, some just not built up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You know you're a mountain biker when;

While driving down the street in your car, you see a pot hole and head for it, pulling up on the steering wheel just before hitting it.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
after you eat it, you wear your bruises/scrapes with pride, and smile...even as strangers slip you brochures about abusive relationships! :D

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
...one of your main forms of recreation is trail building. (not me, personally)

...if you're on a trail for any other reason (e.g., running, hiking), you spend the whole time imagining how fun it'd be on a bike.

...your bike is worth twice as much as your car. Oops, make that three times as much.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
dansjustchillin said:
I am offended by that statement.
Sorry to offend. I just saw the frame and it brought back many memories of riding with a friend who had a very noisey one. Good memories to be sure, filled with dirt, singletrack, ledges, pine juniper and aspen.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
From a more feminine perspective:

• You don't know what kind of car a friend drives, but you know all of their bikes and what components they want.
  • You like to get expensive metal for gifts, as long as they go on your bike
  • A close friend borrows your mtb tandem so they can ride away from their wedding ceremony (conducted trailside) on singletrack
  • You and your group of friends have conducted many trailside bridal and baby showers.
  • Your mini skirts are just long enough to cover the bike short tan line.
  • Non-riding friends don't understand how you can eat as much as you do.
  • Your expensive Italian leather shoes have cleats on the bottom
  • You have lots of black lycra, but don't dress like an 80's metalhead.
  • Lots of coin for a Silca pump makes sense, but not for a pair of pumps.
  • You hope that someday the uni-boob look will be in

·
Registered
378 Posts
The first two thoughts that entered my mind!!!!!!
You look at hills while driving wondering if there is a trail there.
You see cars with bikes on them and wondering where they are going or headed to...
...you're driving home from the trail and you notice yourself accerating on a downhill to make it up the other side.

...one of your "hangouts" is the LBS.

...you drive a total of 8 hours to ride for 4 hours.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
...When your wife or girlfriend are jealous about the time you spend with your bike(s).

·
over 50 years of cycling
533 Posts
a few more

scorpionwoman said:
...if you're on a trail for any other reason (e.g., running, hiking), you spend the whole time imagining how fun it'd be on a bike.
Oh good! then its not just me! I hike a LOT, but mainly because mtn bikes are banned from all the good scenic areas that I like to photograph in our area. But as I am hiking along, I am very often riding it in my mind or figuring out how rideable each and every spot and section would be and how I would ride it. (Hiking is sooooo damn slow and boring!) and wishing the trail was open for riding.

I use full suspension, graphite hiking sticks, because thats as close as I can get to biking the REALLY good stuff, where bikes are banned.

I consider trail building a "sport". (Not many "regular" people do! Imagine that!)

When driving around locally I am always looking for "informal" trail entrances that could lead to local "close-in" mtn bike "playgrounds".

When I go by a playground I ponder what playground structures could actually be ridden.

When my wife gives the ultimatum of a "fun" afternoon or none later, and its a nice sunny weekend perfect for riding.....well I have been married for 30 years....gotta make the obvious choice....riding.:D

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
The ones I can relate to:

- I don't stop by the LBS without at least 1-1/2 hrs to spare
- People I've never met greet me by name on the trail/at town meetings/in the lot
- Bike = about 2x what car is worth
- Three bikes in living room + roommate's old cruiser = four
- My wallet contains the following: a valve adapter, bike permit for the LIRR, LBS gift certificate, and bike club membership card.
- Car = garage space for bike stuff and transports the bike in the back seat more often than human passengers + all bumper stickers are bike-related
- Family uses LBS as a mail drop
- Holiday decorations include appropriate mojos for the bike
- Every time somebody leaves me a voicemail message, it starts out, "You're probably out on the bike right now, when you get back....."

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.