Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...your water bottle freezes. :eek:

so, any delusions we had about riding up NTM were quickly squelched after about 300 yards:

Winter Freezing Snow Slope Glacial landform

i like the tracks-- you can see pedal prints alongside the tire tracks from each downstroke. ;)

so plan B was the Fairmount trail (dirt path which borders NTM on the east). didn't take long at 20 degrees before my water bottle nozzle froze; had to remove the the cap to drink an icy slushy. :cool:

Clothing Eyewear Winter Vision care Helmet

let me tell you, what i thought was going to be a fun spin in the snow turned out to be one of the hardest workouts in recent months! phew, i'm tired.

great to be alive & outside. :thumbsup:

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
gotdirt said:
so plan B was the Fairmount trail (dirt path which borders NTM on the west). didn't take long at 20 degrees before my water bottle nozzle froze; had to remove the the cap to drink an icy slushy. :cool:
Yep. Put warm water in it, and leave the nozzle open.

NTM?

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
yeah, i used to live in winterpark and i would ride there in the winter all the time, and i never really found a good way to deal with water. i did, however, realize that in fresh snow, thin tires work best because the cut straight to the ground, as opposed to floating on the top.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Debaser said:
North Table Mountain :cool:

btw, all you skiers & boarders-- what's the best lens color for snow? and more importantly, any hints for stopping lenses from fogging up? goggles any better?

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
"i like the tracks-- you can see pedal prints alongside the tire tracks from each downstroke."

:) Same here, didn't notice them until I turned around and started going back, kinda cool when it's deep enough to do that.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

Attachments

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
i always go amber or rose, or some variation of unless its a bluebird day, then i go bronze polarized. yeah, goggles do usually help with the fogging, and they keep you much warmer in really cold weather. since your eyeballs must remain moist at all times and they also must stay at 98.6 degrees to function well, they can be conduits for substantial amounts of heat loss if its cold and windy. just something to think about. oh, and another thing- if you find yourself blowing your nose like crazy its probably from your eyes tearing. the tear ducts in your eyes lead directly into your sinusus.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Amber/Orange works well for me, and I have clear lenses for those flat days. I tried a product (this is no joke) called Cat Crap that works pretty well for anti-fog. Its sold at any outdoor shops in a little red container, kind of like a wax, you apply and then buff off. Only downside is you do have to reapply pretty much every time to get best results. I use on all goggles and glasses.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
gotdirt said:
...your water bottle freezes. :eek:

so, any delusions we had about riding up NTM were quickly squelched after about 300 yards:

View attachment 215572

i like the tracks-- you can see pedal prints alongside the tire tracks from each downstroke. ;)

so plan B was the Fairmount trail (dirt path which borders NTM on the east). didn't take long at 20 degrees before my water bottle nozzle froze; had to remove the the cap to drink an icy slushy. :cool:

View attachment 215573

let me tell you, what i thought was going to be a fun spin in the snow turned out to be one of the hardest workouts in recent months! phew, i'm tired.

great to be alive & outside. :thumbsup:
Excellent Terry! I'm proud! I wend ou to take a few pictures, but quickly ran back inside.... I like my warmth.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now that's just not fair...

got to spin around one of those a while back at buffalo creek... but no snow.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
takes some gettin used tooo

Not bad.. Finding the freshy stuff made it easier. You need to keep a steady pedaling stroke, and you can make it up almost anything... cleared about 90% of Coyote ridge...

:thumbsup:

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
gotdirt said:
btw, all you skiers & boarders-- what's the best lens color for snow? and more importantly, any hints for stopping lenses from fogging up? goggles any better?
Color preference is subjective, but my favorite is rose/pink with polarization, but that depends on the lighting conditions. :cool:

Dish soap works the best for fog resistance and its cheap. Use a tiny, tiny amount -undiltued - and rub off the excess with a cloth.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
This is one of the best "Hardcore" pic's I've ever seen !!

Ventanarama said:
"i like the tracks-- you can see pedal prints alongside the tire tracks from each downstroke."

:) Same here, didn't notice them until I turned around and started going back, kinda cool when it's deep enough to do that.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

Worthy of a calender page somewhere :thumbsup:

·
Inflexable...
1,901 Posts
gotdirt said:
...btw, all you skiers & boarders-- what's the best lens color for snow? and more importantly, any hints for stopping lenses from fogging up? goggles any better?
Assuming you are using digital. I don't use anything but a UV filter (if that). Set the exposure adjust +1/3 to+2/3 for pictures involving snow. It will reduce the 'blue' tint you see and pick up more detail of the snow. A circular polarizing filter may also help but it will reduce the amount of light entering the camera and I am usually looking for the fastest shutter speed possible when taking skiing or biking pics so I try to keep as much light as I can.

To reduce fogging, keep the camera at the temperature you will be taking pictures. Don't keep it warm and then pull it out in the cold to snap a pic. For really cold days I have to use Nickel-Cadmium batteries because Metal Hydrides don't like the colder temps...

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Digital photography color tempature

gotdirt said:
Since going digital years ago, we find it faster here to resist the Auto White Balance default and dial in a ballpark color tempature in the camera, if not possible, we correct digitally in our workflow, like below.

Exposure in snow: 1. I go with daylight exposure that I would without snow, or 2. in shade I spot meter the most neutral section in the composition. Reflection off bright snow rarely changes the exposure of the sections of your image that are not snow covered, and if you try to overcompensate, you will blow the white point out to nothing.

Fogging: I keep my gear at or near the temature I'm shooting in. Condensation forms on warmer objects from tempature differences, not from cold itself.

Happy cold weather shooting.

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
er, thanks for the replies, but i was speaking strictly about lenses in sunglasses, not cameras.
;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts