Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, July 1 to be exact, I was up late reading post on this forum about crashes. It was some interesting, and entertaining stuff. I was thinking that I had not had a big crash in years, my skills must be top drawer. The next day Daddy takes the big rig, Lennox Plugg One 6x7 out for a spin. I am cranking through a lychee orchard that I have ridden many times before and come to the trail head to find that it is being dug up to reroute water to the orchard. I ride the detour onto an access road which turns into a concrete road. As this is a long and winding road on the base of a mountain, I am getting up some speed. As I near the bottom, I begin to scrub off some speed. Embankment on the left, unrailed drop off on the right. About 50 yards from the botom, off to the right is a basketball court. Now as this is a paved road with no traffic, I glance over at the basketball court. I am watching a Chinese girl trying to dunk a basketball. No kidding, this chick is skywalking. I am thinking that her take off needs to be "just a little more vertical", when Wham!!...You know that strange silence that happens when you are airborne on your bike? I was experiencing that, but I did not have my bike. I hit an 18 inch, unmarked speed bump, that is so well hidden you can't see it until you are 3 feet away. I am now twisting in the air to avoid a face plant on the concrete, because I don't think I have time to "tuck and roll" out of it. I go sliding, head-first down the road on my back. I remember thinking, "I hit my head" as I see my cell phone and keys go sliding past me. "How did that happen?" I wonder. My hydration pack has ripped open, but the bladder is still intact. Good thing I was not carrying the Milk jug. Nice silver dollar size scar on my shoulder blade. Destroyed the helmet and rear triangle on the bike. Don't ask.
And as if this were not enough, last Friday I was reading about some kid who was thinking about buying a cheap bike to ride around campus because he thought his good bike would get stolen. Guess what happens Saturday? Yep, my "faux" S-Works was lifted.
They even took the lock. You know if you have ever lost a bike, that for a while, everytime you see someone on a bike, you check to see if is yours. I live in China, there are 11,000,000 bikes in this city alone. I am going crazy, and developing whiplash.
Now if one of you clowns would just write a story about winning the lottery....

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Oh quit whining. If you won the lottery you'd just blow it all on bikes that get stolen, new helmets and medical bills ;)

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
Not winning the lottery, but I get to ride my bike every day and enjoy it immensly. I'm getting healthier each month and losing weight - I feel better than I have in 15 years. I've had no major crashes since I started riding 10 months ago. My bike has nothing wrong with it.

I may as well have won the lottery - life's good.

Does that help? Get back to us in a few weeks and let us know if the good luck rubs off too. :)

Cheers,
Graeme

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.