Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall a member here mentioned "Large Marge" in an email to me, and that was pretty much the start of my Pugs fascination. Then I saw another member's Pugs in person at a LBS, and knew I had to have one. Then another member here had a frame for sale, and that was when my wallet started emptying. :)
Yesterday another box of parts arrived and I finally had enough pieces to put the tires and pedals on the frame. I'll have to post a photo in the next day or two, but it is just your standard white Pugs with Large Marge wheels and Larry tires.
Still waiting on brakes and rear derailleur, and then I can finally take it for the maiden voyage!!!! It's cool to finally be a member of the Fat Bike Club!

andy b.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
There`s no such thing as "just" a standard Pug........

The only standard item is the MASSIVE PERMAGRIN :D that you will be experiencing very soon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am one exited boy, the Pugsley I ordered months ago should be built by next weekend and then shortly afterwards delivered to me and being ridden by myself. Couple days holiday me thinks so I can have a good blast round

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a photo of the current state of assembly. I should hopefully have the rest of the parts in two weeks or so.

Even with mine sitting here next to me, I still have to say photos of these bikes don't come anywhere close to actually showing what the tires look like. If you have a Fat Bike, you know what they look like, but if you've never seen one in person the photos don't prepare you for when you do.

andy b.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bdundee said:
Sweet Andy!! It's all coming together:thumbsup:
Thanks for the comments, and help. ;) The frame and fork are together again. I was unsure if I should get the 16" frame or the 18", but things worked out perfectly with the 18". The 16" would have been way too small. I like smaller frame bikes, and the 18" is perfect. I probably won't get any snow riding in this winter, but the Pugs will definitely be heading to the beaches of North Carolina with me this summer.

I have to meet up with xJaredx when I have the bike completed and go for a ride with him. I really doubt many folks in the Allentown area have seen a Pugs, let alone two of them at the same time.

andy b.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I couldn't stand having the Pugs so close to being rideable, but just sitting there staring at me waiting for the rear cassette, RD, and shifters. So I scored a cheap 22T ACS freewheel at the LBS, and found an unused chain, and made myself a 1x1. :) I'm running it on the 34T chainring, so it isn't that bad to ride around. I wouldn't want to do any big uphills, but just riding around my house and some grass trails it does fine. It's probably in the gear I'd have it in most of the time anyway. I also found a cheap deal on an E-type FD, so I put that on and just set the lower limit screw so the FD was even with the middle chainring and all was good to go. It's kind of nice riding around without having to worry about shifting, plus I needed something to cover the threads on the single-speed hub and the ACS freehweel will do that just fine.

Here's the ACS freewheel. The two wheelsets swap pretty easily with no adjustment needed for the brake calipers (which was one thing I was worried about).

Finally I'm a Pugs rider!!! I'll post more pics once the other parts arrive and I get it setup as a 2x9.

Oh, I see a lot of folks posting in other threads about how heavy the Pugs is (a lot of comments on the "heavy" frame). I built this bike starting as a bare frame. The Pugs frame weighs maybe 5 pounds. A decent Cannondale aluminum frame weighs about 3 pounds. The weight of the Pugs is not due to the frame, it's those big-ass wheels and tires. Granted, the "suspension" in the Pugs is equal to about 2-3" of old-time undamped coil springs, but if you weigh a full suspension frame and compare it to the Pugs, that is probably more of an apples to apples comparison than an ultra-light rigid frame. I only mention this because in my limited riding so far the huge tires certainly soften the ride as compared to a rigid frame bike.

andy b.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of the rest of my parts showed up Monday, so last night I put the rear derailleur, rear cassette, and shifters on. We were supposed to get 3-8" of snow over my way, but ended up with about 4" and a bunch of freezing rain. By the time I got home from work there was about 2" of wet snow left, but I said the heck with it and took the Pugs out for the maiden snow ride. I ended up letting even more air out of the tires. I really need to get some sort of low pressure gauge to see what psi I'm running.

Even though there wasn't much snow, I've ridden in this amount before with a normal mountain bike and I was sliding all over the place. The Pugs held a straight line for the most part. One thing I found out was you guys aren't kidding when you say the Pugs (and any snow bike) forces you to pedal with a consistent rhythm. I'm used to just powering down on the pedal downstroke, and that would cause the rear wheel to spin almost every time. I rode around for about 20 minutes, and by the end I was pedaling in a smoother cadence and the rear wheel wasn't slipping too bad. I also found out you really need to stay seated, because if I got out of the saddle and leaned forward at all that would also cause the rear wheel to lose traction.

All in all a very cool short adventure, and I learned a few things. I think this will be a very fun bike to ride this summer!!!!

andy b.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today was the day!!!! I assembled the rest of the parts last night. This morning I went for a short ride around my house to be sure everything was adjusted properly and this afternoon I met up with a friend and we headed out to Jacobsburg State Park in Belfast, PA. I was hoping there would be more snow, but there was enough to see how the bike handles it.

Here is what the bike looked like this morning. There was about 3" of snow left by my house with a thin crust of ice on it. My pedalling was getting a little smoother when I concentrated on it, so I was able to make it up any hills I tried.

I went for about a 15-20 minute ride. After I got done, I took my 1997 Cannondale F700 out. The HeadShok on my F700 has been upgraded to an 80mm Super Fatty Ultra DL (the stock one was only 60 or 70mm of travel). A few points of comparison:

The Larry tires soaked up small bumps and normal obstacles as good as the HeadShok. The F700 is a hardtail, and Cannondale's aluminum frames are known for being rather stiff. The Larry rear tire made a world of difference compared to any hardtail frame, and especially the stiff C'dale. The bike easily performed as well as a short travel cross country full suspension rig. I have to admit, small to moderate bump compliance with no pivots to worry about, no air shocks to adjust, and no maintenance is rather nice!!! Also, while the F700 did okay in the snow, I didn't make it up any hills I tried, and plowing through the snow was noticeably more work than riding on top of the snow with the Pugs. The only place the F700 did better was when I turned around on the street. This was to be expected since I am running the air pressure so low in the Larry tires.

Then I grabbed lunch and headed out to meet my friend. Let's just say while there was some snow left, there was a LOT of melting snow.

This was at the start of one exceptionally muddy section. The Pugs was pretty much just standing up by itself stuck in the mud. The Pugs (and I, and my friend and his bike) was filthy by the end of the ride. The only place the Pugs slowed down was in some of the muddy clay where the Larry tires tended to slide a little. Other guys have mentioned this, so I was expecting it. I had no problem making it up the usual hills we ride in the summer with normal 26" bikes, and I have to admit as above, I did not miss having any suspension on the bike. In fact I think I was less beat up then even riding my Jekyll of Super V. We went on a casual cross country ride, so there were no big drops, and the mud didn't seem to slow the Pugs down at all (except for the few spots with clay). I'm definitely going to head out with the Pugs again for more cross country rides, even after the snow is all melted.

I am VERY happy I built this bike up. I foresee it getting a lot of use.

andy b.

PS- I think there should be a disclaimer at the top of the Fat Bike forum warning you that you need to run fenders with these bikes. There were rooster tails of water and mud flying all over the place. [email protected] it was fun!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts