Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm intrigued by some of the landing ramps in Episode 1. They appear to be made of logs with a thin layer of dirt covering the landing area. Anyone have any insight as to how those are put together?

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TXhucker said:
I'm intrigued by some of the landing ramps in Episode 1. They appear to be made of logs with a thin layer of dirt covering the landing area. Anyone have any insight as to how those are put together?
It's more like a log frame to hold the shape, they're solid dirt other than that.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, I saw those also but there were some others. The one that sticks out in my mind is, towards the end of the video, the guy does a big hip jump onto the landing. That landing appears to be propped up against some trees. I don't know...maybe I'm just seeing things. I'll go back and look again.

I'm starting to build a new jump spot this weekend and would love to be able to do less digging. But on the other hand, solid dirt is the way to go.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TXhucker said:
Yeah, I saw those also but there were some others. The one that sticks out in my mind is, towards the end of the video, the guy does a big hip jump onto the landing. That landing appears to be propped up against some trees. I don't know...maybe I'm just seeing things. I'll go back and look again.

I'm starting to build a new jump spot this weekend and would love to be able to do less digging. But on the other hand, solid dirt is the way to go.
I know the one you're talking about. I have no idea what the deal is on that one. Solid dirt is always your best bet. The problem with overlaying a piece of wood with a thin layer of dirt is that the wood will always flex and your dirt will never pack solid since it's always being dislodged.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
TXhucker said:

that was the only one that isnt much dirt...it's all log framing with logs running horizontal inside the frame and then dirt on top...I'd say only about 9-12 inches of dirt...and I don't believe the frame was propped up on any trees...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.