Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dirt Abuser
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Masochists:

1. Psychiatry. the condition in which sexual gratification depends on suffering, physical pain, and humiliation.
2. gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions or the actions of others, esp. the tendency to seek this form of gratification.
3. the act of turning one's destructive tendencies inward or upon oneself.
4. the tendency to find pleasure in self-denial, submissiveness, etc.

Man, I go on a tough 4+ hr Mtb ride and I feel like I've been run over by a truck... I have never raced my rig, (FS XC) and probably never will. I've often thought of entering a beginners race, but....

Mtb XC must be one of the toughest individual effort sports out there.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'm no expert, and haven't done many long XC races at all, but I think endurance racers are probably worse off than XCers. XC races don't last nearly as long :D

Pace seems to be way different (except at the higher levels), but mentality I think is different for me between racing for 1.5-2 hours and racing for 12 hours.

They both hurt; just in different ways. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
aword4you said:
I'm no expert, and haven't done many long XC races at all, but I think endurance racers are probably worse off than XCers. XC races don't last nearly as long :D

Pace seems to be way different (except at the higher levels), but mentality I think is different for me between racing for 1.5-2 hours and racing for 12 hours.

They both hurt; just in different ways. :thumbsup:
At least with a regular XC race the suffering ends sooner. I remember when training for half marathons (running) that when I would do my long runs, typically of 12+ miles, I'd get to a point with hurting so bad that I would just say "screw it this hurts" and just speed up to get it over with. I did the same thing on a 40 mile mountain bike ride on Friday--after almost 3 hours in the Florida heat I was hurting pretty good and just figured I might as well drop the hammer (to the extent possible at that point in the ride at least) to just get done.

P.S. Those serious endurance mtb racers are crazy, although I'll probably be out there with them someday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.