Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everyone is talking the talk about how much you we pay for bike bits and bikes.

Exclusive distribution...no such thing anymore.
Parralell Imports allow anyone to import anything. As long as you can find a seller OS to sell it to you at the right price then go for it.

LBS..trying to make a living like the rest of us. Do you guys whinge your asses off when you have to pay $180 for a pair of designer jeans? When they only use $10 of material.

Has onyone out there in POMMY land..yeah you're a bunch of whingers. Had a look at the piss poor wages yanks earn? The cost of goods is relative to the cost of living in your said country. The f'wits on the dole here earn close to someone om minimum wage in the US.

So get over your own self righteousness and remember if your euipment is so bloody important to you and you need someone to fix it to your bike, then go to a shop like you do for any other item you buy. Shop around get the deal that suits you.

Is there anything else you'd like handed to you on a platter?
Why dont you download some credit card numbers of the web and go shopping...that will be cheaper for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Buzlytyr said:
So everyone is talking the talk about how much you we pay for bike bits and bikes.

Exclusive distribution...no such thing anymore.
Parralell Imports allow anyone to import anything. As long as you can find a seller OS to sell it to you at the right price then go for it.

LBS..trying to make a living like the rest of us. Do you guys whinge your asses off when you have to pay $180 for a pair of designer jeans? When they only use $10 of material.

Has onyone out there in POMMY land..yeah you're a bunch of whingers. Had a look at the piss poor wages yanks earn? The cost of goods is relative to the cost of living in your said country. The f'wits on the dole here earn close to someone om minimum wage in the US.

So get over your own self righteousness and remember if your euipment is so bloody important to you and you need someone to fix it to your bike, then go to a shop like you do for any other item you buy. Shop around get the deal that suits you.

Is there anything else you'd like handed to you on a platter?
Why dont you download some credit card numbers of the web and go shopping...that will be cheaper for you.
I couldn't agree more. If you really want decent equipment you are going to have to work for it or make some sacrifices. Another way to get a good deal is to have a good customer realationship with the bike shop of your choice. I'm not talking about the kind of relationship where you bend the owner over and 'boof' him from behind, but where you tell them what you need and let them help you. Nothing is for farkin free in this life, so don't expect it.

thanks Aussie................

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I own my own business here in Oz. Have done for years. So I know from personal experience what a cut-throat world the business one is.

If you cannot provide the service and prices that your customers want and need, then they go to someone that will.

Your post reeks of someone who has little experience in the real world of business. It's all very well to say that we should support our local LBS by buying overpriced parts from them when we can source those same parts from overseas for half the price !!

Personally, I give my local bike shops as much of my business as I can, as I value the fact that thay are there and available to the average biker for parts, etc..

I purchased my bike from my local bike shop...but there is NO WAY that I will pay them twice the amount for spare parts or bits..that is simply ....bad business for me.

I import most of my parts from overseas, for both my business's and my bike. I get things much cheaper that way, and am able to pass those savings on to the customers here in the form of lower prices, which brings me more business, and happier customers.

Oh...and by the way..I don't wear designer jeans.. :)

R.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well you own your own business

that doesn;t make me nor YOU mr.never wrong
so take others ideas and let them grow. Everyones an expert these days. Its a pity some people aren't a bit more humble and learn not to try and shout down anyone they don't agree with by throwing in some cold cut arrogance. :mad:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rainman said:
I own my own business here in Oz. Have done for years. So I know from personal experience what a cut-throat world the business one is.

If you cannot provide the service and prices that your customers want and need, then they go to someone that will.

Your post reeks of someone who has little experience in the real world of business. It's all very well to say that we should support our local LBS by buying overpriced parts from them when we can source those same parts from overseas for half the price !!

Personally, I give my local bike shops as much of my business as I can, as I value the fact that thay are there and available to the average biker for parts, etc..

I purchased my bike from my local bike shop...but there is NO WAY that I will pay them twice the amount for spare parts or bits..that is simply ....bad business for me.

I import most of my parts from overseas, for both my business's and my bike. I get things much cheaper that way, and am able to pass those savings on to the customers here in the form of lower prices, which brings me more business, and happier customers.

Oh...and by the way..I don't wear designer jeans.. :)

R.
You are right about not having to pay twice the price for parts. If you can get it cheaper you are well within your rights. I found myself a shop that is willing to get me anything i want in the cycling world and therefore i give them my custom. I was looking at this from the point of view of people whinging about the high cost of parts in this country. From all this I would have to say that the onus is on both the vendor and customer to be educated about what they want and the cost of the transaction.

buzlytyr said:
so take others ideas and let them grow. Everyones an expert these days. Its a pity some people aren't a bit more humble and learn not to try and shout down anyone they don't agree with by throwing in some cold cut arrogance.
Settle Buz ;)

Aussie............................

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Buzlytyr said:
so take others ideas and let them grow. Everyones an expert these days. Its a pity some people aren't a bit more humble and learn not to try and shout down anyone they don't agree with by throwing in some cold cut arrogance. :mad:
I was speaking from an experienced business mans point of view. I was not trying to be arrogant, just telling you the way it is in the cold hard world of business, is all.

Your original post was rather inflammatory anyway, calling us "pommy whingers" and "self righteous"...and dribbling on about credit card fraud and being 'handed stuff on a platter'..etc.

I don't give a rats arse about how much YOU are willing to pay your local bike shop for parts, or even what the yanks earn for wages every week.

Furthermore, calling people who are unfortunate enough to be out of work and on the dole "f'wits" is bloody arrogant and rude in the extreme, imo.

I am quite willing to carry on an intelligent conversation with you about the pros and cons of buying local versus overseas parts etc, but would prefer it if you had some experience in the subject before coming on here and blazing away with both barrels.

R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.