Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,826 Posts
There were two kinds.

One was made by white brothers (and maybe still is?), they were forged, good cranks.

One was made over in taiwain and was a cheap knockoff. They used the white industries name and they were about 1/3rd the price. These were sold by supergo I think. This was many years back, but the cranks looked almost identical. I think the cheap knockoffs had more "squared" edges. They were CNCed and not nearly as strong.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Jayem said:
There were two kinds.

One was made by white brothers (and maybe still is?), they were forged, good cranks.

One was made over in taiwain and was a cheap knockoff.
Yes and no. Yes White Ind did make most of these in the US. Yes, they did do an OE batch that was made overseas, but by no means are they a cheap knock off. They were a legitimate authorized White Ind products that they spec'd out to be by Sugino, no stranger to quality components.

I have two sets of the Sugion made ones and they are nice. They are heavier than the US made ones though. The culprit in quality wasn't so much the crank arms themselves, but the lower grade chainrings that were included with the Sugino ones. If you do a websearch, you find that the majority of the complaints were chainring related, not crank arm related.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.