Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NO, NO, I didn't say that! :)

I was at this bike shop in Mountain View, CA. When I pointed at the SS 29'er (I think it was a Raleigh), the guy said "you can't ride it offroad; it's more like for riding around town, more like a trick bike..."

Why did I break my promise of not going there ever again? Again? :)

Ali

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Ha! I used to work at a bike shop and had a "customer" (term used lightly since he didn't actually buy anything I know of) that wanted to argue with me that mtb ss isn't really possible when I showed him a couple options after saying he wanted a reliable bike for mtb that would be low-maintenance; talked about a 1x9 option(s). He was very passionate about his stance that I'm crazy (he may be correct about that, but on other points) and that anyone that rides SS is insane. He went so far as to say he thought I was talking down to him and wasting his time with such foolish bikes (Peace9r $ 1X1). "Cool, there's a bike shop down the street. They have some sweet 7" travel freeride rigs that will look great hanging from the ceiling in your garage..."

You 2:1 guys are nuts though...

Brock...

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
I was once sneered at a trail while taking a rest by a geary. I was leaning against a tree, geary coming up a hill and stopped. I muttered to him "nice day for a ride huh?"

d-bag said: not if you're riding a single speed!

I almost choked on my water. I had passed him earlier. Maybe he misunderstood me or something, but I meant no ill will. Weird.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I find this attitude baffling. I find it's just the opposite...have a hard time riding a gearie, off road. Can be done, but it's too damn distracting, always wondering whether I need to shift or not. I have to have a SS, for offroading....way simpler.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
34x20,19,18 and some times 21 if there is sustained climbs. On a 29er that is.

SS is insane, that is exactly why we do it!

The other day there was a steep climb that I clear no prob. But this time there was a guy with a ventana fully squish bike on semi granny 32x34 I think, so I was behind him and I stalled. I dismounted and ran the my bike up as I was passing him.... then, never saw him again...

One SS racer once told me "I can walk faster than granny..."

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've never had someone tell me that singlespeeds are no good in the mountains in real life. Actually, quite the opposite. When I'm on the mountain people are usually pretty encouraging. Everyone loves an underdog...

I understand why some people would be hostile though. If you can do what they can do but with less gears it makes them feel like less of a man. At least thats what I assume is going on in the minds of the haters.

edit: Im surprised that someone in mountain view told you that. I split my time between san jose and santa cruz. From my observation we have more singlespeeders per capita compared to most other places. When Im at ucsc it seems like all we have is singlespeeders and dh guys.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Yep Wes, on trail everyone has been super stoked (or whatever) when I'm on my SS (versus when on my squisherized geary) and given props for being a fat boy with one gear so this cat at the shop caught me way off guard, but whatever. Maybe it was my good looks and charming personality.

Keep the rubber side down.

Brock...

·
Yayer!
185 Posts
Anyone who gets butt hurt and talks down to you for riding a single is amusing really...these people have been brainwashed with convention their entire lives and look at the world with the skewed idea that everything has a specific way of being done and thats the end of it. I look at those people and laugh at their "give me convenience, or give me death" way of thinking. Riding SS is fun, plain and simple, If you want 75 gears...more power to you, for me its more fun to stand up and MASH on the SOB. Just MY skewed perception of life... Ant

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
1,809 Posts
yea it depends what gear ratio you have that guy probably had a really high one so he couldn't pedal off-road which sadly happened to me

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
This has been my experience as well. People either think you're a crazy strong MTBer (not in my case, LOL!) or they think you're crazy but in a good way. I have yet to meet someone who hates the SS.

wes m. said:
I've never had someone tell me that singlespeeds are no good in the mountains in real life. Actually, quite the opposite. When I'm on the mountain people are usually pretty encouraging. Everyone loves an underdog...

I understand why some people would be hostile though. If you can do what they can do but with less gears it makes them feel like less of a man. At least thats what I assume is going on in the minds of the haters.

edit: Im surprised that someone in mountain view told you that. I split my time between san jose and santa cruz. From my observation we have more singlespeeders per capita compared to most other places. When Im at ucsc it seems like all we have is singlespeeders and dh guys.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What do you expect from The Off-Ramp? That's one of the least knowledgeable shops I have ever visited.

One time I rolled up on my road bike and asked to use their pump. I had to explain several times that I needed to use a floor pump to get 110psi, not a compressor.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.