Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still working on getting good chain tension and just spent some time searching through the old posts that related to this. In the drop down box on one of them that I came across all it says is 'you can try wedging a granny...' Now that made me laugh! How wedging someone's granny has anything to do with chain tension I'll never know!

(of course the more complete version is: 'You can try wedging a granny gear 'tween the upper and lower portions of the chain..')

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
I wedged a granny in there once. Nice proper chain tension et al....and she fell out on a "hard ride" roadie turn, on ashphalt.

In fact, a TWENTY TOOTH granny!

Granny just wouldn't stay tucked in there for me.....sorry. Found her the next day though......

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Ghostrings, definately in my top-10 list of coolest things you can do to a bike. I never found a bike suited to try in on, unfortunately. By placing the ghostring a bit fore of aft, you should be able to very precisely adjust the chain tension. If you get it up high enough, I don't see how it could fall out.
I SO wanna have such a setup. I'll have to somehow try and make it work on my crit bike. It's now in 56-17 + singletor, will have to make it 56-16 soon. If the chainline doesn't allow for a ghostring, I could always try 44-13 or something. I've got a thick Novatec 20t cog and plenty of mounted-but-never-used grannies screaming to be used ne way or another :)

There's a nice picture of a ghostring setup in the FAQ, I think.

An even higher level of coolness for me would be a ghostring setup where the chainstays is crossing over the chainline such, that a cut-open ghostring could be put around the chainstay, re-joined at the cut and do it's job circeling the chainstay. A hovering chaintensioner, anyone?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Ghostrings, definately in my top-10 list of coolest things you can do to a bike. I never found a bike suited to try in on, unfortunately. By placing the ghostring a bit fore of aft, you should be able to very precisely adjust the chain tension. If you get it up high enough, I don't see how it could fall out.
I SO wanna have such a setup. I'll have to somehow try and make it work on my crit bike. It's now in 56-17 + singletor, will have to make it 56-16 soon. If the chainline doesn't allow for a ghostring, I could always try 44-13 or something. I've got a thick Novatec 20t cog and plenty of mounted-but-never-used grannies screaming to be used ne way or another :)

There's a nice picture of a ghostring setup in the FAQ, I think.

An even higher level of coolness for me would be a ghostring setup where the chainstays is crossing over the chainline such, that a cut-open ghostring could be put around the chainstay, re-joined at the cut and do it's job circeling the chainstay. A hovering chaintensioner, anyone?
Ghost rings tend to fall off. On any drop the ring will have downward momentum and push down on the lower chain, but the upper chain will not follow as quickly and is held back by chain tension when it's level. Once the upper chain comes off - end of story.

My first SS. Singleator followed quickly.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.