Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Yosemite & Tioga Pass - 05.31.08

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  grungePoodle 
#1 · (Edited)
So, um, I was on my bike and, uh, I was in the mountains....
Tire Wheel Mountainous landforms Mountain range Cloud

...but I guess it still ain't mtn biking. So if you're gonna get yer panties all bunched in a wad about another off topic post, just click on the 'back' button and move along.

But if you love Yosemite as much as I do, scroll on down the page.

Due to time constraints, I only got to ride Tioga Pass Road. Bummers to miss the waterfalls in the Valley, but I had a great ride nevertheless. Here are some pics:

The view to the south from above Olmstead Pt., Cloud's Rest is just left of center and Half Dome is the peak on the right.
Sky Mountainous landforms Cloud Mountain range Mountain

I hiked to the top of Half Dome in 2006 and posted pics here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=236427

Jeffrey Pine.
Branch Monochrome Monochrome photography Woody plant Black-and-white

To the northeast of Olmstead Pt. is Tenaya Lake.
Mountainous landforms Sky Cloud Mountain range Highland

Tuolumne Meadows.
Nature Sky Natural landscape Mountainous landforms Landscape

Life is tough in the harsh environment of the High Sierras.
Branch Wood Twig Monochrome Monochrome photography

Dana Meadows with Mt. Dana and Mt. Gibbs in the background,
crowned in the sparkling white of a recent snowfall.
Mountainous landforms Motorcycle Mountain range Automotive tire Mountain

The Dana fork of the Tuolumne River. The water in this stream flows to Hetch Hetchy Reservoir.
Mountainous landforms Mountain range Winter Natural landscape Mountain

More pics posted here: http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17454

Neither words nor pictures can adequately convey the beauty and grandeur that is Yosemite. I feel so lucky to live so close to one of the most beautiful places on Earth. It was a good day and a good ride.

Thanks for looking!

See ya,

gary

See less See more
#3 ·
I love Yosemite. I'm sure Tioga pass would be a blast on a sport/touring bike like yours. Looks like "mountain biking" to me.:thumbsup:

We used to go camping there nearly every summer when I was a kid but I haven't been back in almost 20 years now. We came in from the East over Tioga pass and my mom would drop off my Dad and all us kids at the top of the pass and we'd ride down into the valley on our bikes. Usually later in the week we'd do the same thing from Glacier Point. Fun times.

My son recently passed through there on a road trip and brought back desktop/screensaver that's been on my wife's computer and along with this post has made me homesick for Yosemite. I need to get back.

Your Half dome hike post brought back fond memories too. Thanks.

#8 ·
We just finished a week long roadtrip through CA and UT. Tioga Pass had opened on that Wednesday and closed (unbeknownst to us) again on Friday due to more snow. We got here Sunday. BLAH! The subsequent trip north over Sonora Pass was beautiful but now I have a reason to make it back there someday!

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks to all for the kind words...

It's cool that the pics triggered some fond memories for some of you guys. I know, I know, insane summertime crowds and no mtb's allowed off the pavement, but Yosemite is the bomb not only for the spectacular scenery, but also for the memorable moments that last a lifetime. Such as good times camping and hiking with family, the accomplishment of climbing a massive granite face, or feeling the power of nature as the ground vibrates from the spring runoff roaring full force over the Valley falls. Sweet.

Lactic said:
The subsequent trip north over Sonora Pass was beautiful ...
True dat. Hwy 108 just north of Yosemite is pretty wonderful as well.

The Dardanelles
Nature Mountainous landforms Natural landscape Plant community Tree

Middle fork of the Stanislaus river.
Rock Natural landscape Tree Stream Bedrock

Near Kennedy Meadow.
Nature Natural environment Tree Forest Grassland

Granite slope near Sonora Pass.
Motorcycle Mountainous landforms Automotive tire Fender Automotive lighting

Leavitt Meadows on the east side of the pass.
Mountainous landforms Mountain range Highland Mountain Valley

Full trip report with more pics here: http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17193

That's it for now...

See ya,

gary

#10 ·
Sweet! I was just up there for spring break in April with the family. Fantastic hike up to the top of Yosemite Falls.

I highly recommend staying at Yosemite View Lodge just outside the west gate. Modern, comfy room overlooking the Merced River.

#12 ·
MTP said:
Sweet! I was just up there for spring break in April with the family. Fantastic hike up to the top of Yosemite Falls.

I highly recommend staying at Yosemite View Lodge just outside the west gate. Modern, comfy room overlooking the Merced River.
I stayed there a few years back. The temps were perfect for sleeping with all the windows & doors facing the river wide open. Nothing like the roar of the river after a looooong day of hiking to make you sleep like a baby. :thumbsup:

I'd love to go back when my little on gets older. She was just over 2 and I had to pack her around all day so the hikes were shorter than I liked and a hell of a lot more work!

#13 ·
Oh my do I love this place! Three summers ago the Wife and I had a quick trip out to Yosemite. I fell in love with the place. The best way I could ever explain it was like this....Colorado is the most beautiful place I've ever been. Utah (Moab) is the most stunning and almost "other worldly". Yosemite, it's both rolled into one.

As soon as our kids are a bit older, I really want to take them out that way (we live in Indiana) and do a 2-3 day hike. Can't wait!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.