Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a side note your klunking could be from the lower chainstay pivot. Remove the bolts take out the thru axle bolt clean everything grease everything and reasemble. Be careful of the thin spacers.

yogreg
1) What type grease do you recommend and 2) would you know the size allen wrenches needed for both the pivot bolts on the red pivot link (front & rear)??? Mine has worked loose on the smaller sized allen bolts. No clunk yet when riding but feels like the rear wheel shifts slightly sometimes. It is visible at the red link if you flex the wheel sideways on the frame by hand. Tightened it with the closest allen wrench I have and has pretty much eliminated the play but can’t find the exact right size in my mix-matched set and don’t want to strip them out. 3) Seen others recommending loc-tite is that your recommendation also??? I am still waiting for the heim bushings from Progressive and the sleeves from IH to reduce the play there. Thanks for you expertise!

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
I use Pedros Velo grease.

The lowest pivot point that is prone to loosening is held together by a 3mm allen bolt. The top is a 5 mm.

If you are getting side to side movement like you have described, your pivot is loose and should be tightened. I deffinately say use blue loc-tight. Apply to both thread ends.

Greg

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yogreg said:
I use Pedros Velo grease.

The lowest pivot point that is prone to loosening is held together by a 3mm allen bolt. The top is a 5 mm.

If you are getting side to side movement like you have described, your pivot is loose and should be tightened. I deffinately say use blue loc-tight. Apply to both thread ends.

Greg
yogreg
I was able figure the 3mm was the size after going to three different hardware stores to find two of them. Although on my bolts they fit a little loose. Did I read where you had change your bolts out? I almost think I could have tightened a phillips head type bolt better. I think the 3mm bolt size is to small and since the allen wrench fits loose that it will strip out sooner or later / not the threads but the bolt slot if you know what I mean. Used the blue loc-tite / bolt had been previously loc-tite so not sure why it came loose. My guess is this is going to just be normal maintanance. Was fairly easy to do though spent more time looking for the allen wrenches. Thanks again and
check out my bronc!

Attachments

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
I changed the bolts on my MK to larger allen heads for better leverage.

There is a ton of movement in the suspension on that pivot. Just check it periodically for tightness. It comes with the territory of matinence.

Nice bike by the way.
Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.