Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yo Eddy build - Pics 01/20/07

Comment on my build. This is a rebuild of my first race bike. I gave it away in 1997 or 1998 and then bought it back in the summer of 2006.

I think it would be cool if it were built appropriate to the mid-90s.

Frame: First year Yo Eddy - neon green/blue fade
Bar: ??
Stem: Ringle Kooka Purple
Headset: CK Pink
Grips: Titec Plutos
Brakes: Grafton Speed Controllers Purple
Brake Levers: ?? but thinking XC Pro
Shifters: Paul Thumbies with Ultegra 8sp
FD: Sachs Neos Top-Pull Braze-on
RD: Precision Billet Purple
Crank: Cooks RSR Silver 181mm
BB: TA Axix with Alloy crank bolts - frame has been modified to accept standard BB
Chain: Connex 8sp
Cogset: XTR 11-28
Wheels: CK pink hubs/DT Revo/Ritchey Vantage Pro/Purple Alloy nips
Tires: ??
Tubes: Maxxis Flyweight
QRs: Ringle Cam-twist purple
Saddle: Selle SLR
Seatpost: Campy Centaur
Pedals: Crank Bros Egg Beater C
Fork: Manitou 1 with 1" custom threadless steerer
Der Cables: Power Cordz
Brake Cables Power Cordz
Seat Collar: Fat - original on bike
Water Bottle Cage: Ringle Purple
Bar Ends: Smica

So I guess I need to decide on a bar. Any thoughts there? I have the original Sakae Ti Powerbulge bar, but maybe I can find lighter.

Tires will probably modern XC tires - Conti or Maxxis. Are there old school tires available - Onza Porcupines or Michelin HI-Lite Hot? Am I dreaming?

I cheated on the seat, bar ends, and pedals. The bike is already going to be very heavy and could not find lightweight appropriate bar ends. The seat may be changed to a Flite Gel, but I do not what year they came out so that may too new as well. Pedals are compatible with my shoes - no changing those. Oh yeah the grips are modern, sorry.

Also the pink CK stuff is because they do not make purple and the Fat decals have some pink on them so it should come together into a beautiful color scheme.

Finally, any thoughts on a appropriate seatpost. The Campy is a boat anchor.

What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Interlectchewal
1,170 Posts
elephant said:
So I guess I need to decide on a bar. Any thoughts there? I have the original Sakae Ti Powerbulge bar, but maybe I can find lighter.The bike is already going to be very heavy and could not find lightweight appropriate bar ends.

. . .

What do you all think?
Seat post: Syncros, titanium or aluminum

Bars: Titec 118

Bar Ends: Titec Mag 99s

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Decent purple alloy bars go through ebay all the time for cheap. I got a new Qranc quickstick for my daughters hotrock for $5 not too long ago.
You could save a lot of money by using suntour 8sp thumbies instead...

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
IMHO, it's not a very clean build. Kinda all over the place. Lots of colors and lots of different component/brand/companies.

Not to mention, that if you don't already have any of those parts...some of what you have on your list will be hard to come by and/or expensive when you do find them.

If you want the challenge, you've got it.
If you want a reliable build that you can ride worry free...mmm, not sure thats it.

Just my humble $.02

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Hey Elephant, nice PM's. Care to post those here for everyone to read?

If you don't want people's opinion, don't ask the question.

If you want to call me names and accuse me of things, please, post it here so everyone else can enjoy.

Coward.

·
VRC Hound
4,275 Posts
elephant said:
Comment on my build. This is a rebuild of my first race bike. I gave it away in 1997 or 1998 and then bought it back in the summer of 2006.

I think it would be cool if it were built appropriate to the mid-90s.

Frame: First year Yo Eddy - neon green/blue fade
Bar: ??
Stem: Ringle Kooka Purple
Headset: CK Pink
Grips: Titec Plutos
Brakes: Grafton Speed Controllers Purple
Brake Levers: ?? but thinking XC Pro
Shifters: Paul Thumbies with Ultegra 8sp
FD: Sachs Neos Top-Pull Braze-on
RD: Precision Billet Purple
Crank: Cooks RSR Silver 181mm
BB: TA Axix with Alloy crank bolts - frame has been modified to accept standard BB
Chain: Connex 8sp
Cogset: XTR 11-28
Wheels: CK pink hubs/DT Revo/Ritchey Vantage Pro/Purple Alloy nips
Tires: ??
Tubes: Maxxis Flyweight
QRs: Ringle Cam-twist purple
Saddle: Selle SLR
Seatpost: Campy Centaur
Pedals: Crank Bros Egg Beater C
Fork: Manitou 1 with 1" custom threadless steerer
Der Cables: Power Cordz
Brake Cables Power Cordz
Seat Collar: Fat - original on bike
Water Bottle Cage: Ringle Purple
Bar Ends: Smica

So I guess I need to decide on a bar. Any thoughts there? I have the original Sakae Ti Powerbulge bar, but maybe I can find lighter.

Tires will probably modern XC tires - Conti or Maxxis. Are there old school tires available - Onza Porcupines or Michelin HI-Lite Hot? Am I dreaming?

I cheated on the seat, bar ends, and pedals. The bike is already going to be very heavy and could not find lightweight appropriate bar ends. The seat may be changed to a Flite Gel, but I do not what year they came out so that may too new as well. Pedals are compatible with my shoes - no changing those. Oh yeah the grips are modern, sorry.

Also the pink CK stuff is because they do not make purple and the Fat decals have some pink on them so it should come together into a beautiful color scheme.

What do you all think?
With respect, what is your vision for this thing? Seems like you have devised the perfect scheme to humiliate a perfectly decent frame and fork ;) Do you have any photos of your project yet?

·
Now... harder to kill.
449 Posts
Kinda sounds like the color scheme you'd see on a West Hollywood hooker. Seriously, Elephantitis, put on some nice silver XT components so you can ride it. Or is it slated to be a garage queen?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Heh, ironically I have the identical matching 1" steerer manitou 3 with the chris chance painted neon blue/green fade lowers on my rocky thunderbolt. As to colour scheme he's going for, nothing odd about it to me, its typically jerry lewis gay for those of us old farts who remember when purple and pink first were the big thing in bikes (they're becomming the big thing in motorcycles now).

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
I think that parts pick will quickly exceed one's allotted budget if not accustomed to the ano hounds and their bidding ways. Have you seen how much that CNC stuff goes for? Check out Rumpfy's last run of items on ebay. Crazy. You should have bought some of those to match that colorful frame. And the stuff doesnt even really function all that well. Oh well to each his own.

What are PowerCordz? Are those weight weenie cables?

I would run rigid if youre looking to save weight...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well, everybody has there own vision of how to build a bike. :rolleyes: Seems the XC pro brake levers are out of place here. They are heavy compaired to to some others, maybe some grafton levers? If this is to a rider I'd go with a early Judy fork painted to match the frame and some Kooka ano cranks, I've seen some in purple/blue that would probably be a match for the rest of your componets. I never got bit with the ano craze and for me its about the ride, not the bling :cool:

·
Banned
751 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Hey Elephant, nice PM's. Care to post those here for everyone to read?

If you don't want people's opinion, don't ask the question.

If you want to call me names and accuse me of things, please, post it here so everyone else can enjoy.

Coward.
Yeah... I want to see the bike in question. Hijack. Stem id please.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
It looks very like one I have from a 1990 Marin Pine Mountain. Although it looks like the extension might be vertically ovalised at where it joins the quill. Is it? If so, it's not the same as the one I have.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.