Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for new forks (1") for a 93' Yo Eddy. White Bros and Marz both make em, but what I am most concerned about is the effect on the bike handling (with the longer travel). I figure its a good added inch of height going from an old fork to an 80mm like the white bro.

How many are using 80mm forks with your Yo's? Do you notice much difference in handling?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I am not very into suspension, but I can tell you that also Magura/Rond(in Europe at laest, maybe on special request in the US) and Pace are available with 1¨ steerer. Maybe they are shorter?

Once put a LT Manitou in a non-suspensioncorrected Miyata. Like the way it is now, but a Miyata isn´t a Fat....so I can´t really help you on that.

Melvin

·
Illuminati
1,728 Posts
Hi
yeh fitting 80mm forks to a Yo will slacken the head angle off a few degrees. FATs are however very fast & kinda twitchy for those used to a slower ride. Most people who've tried longer travel forks dont have any complaints as it slows the handling somewhat.

try www.fatcogs.com for more info? ;)

ta

scant

·
Registered
129 Posts
87 fat chance wicked, Manitou sx

Elevation12 said:
I am not very into suspension, but I can tell you that also Magura/Rond(in Europe at laest, maybe on special request in the US) and Pace are available with 1¨ steerer. Maybe they are shorter?

Once put a LT Manitou in a non-suspensioncorrected Miyata. Like the way it is now, but a Miyata isn´t a Fat....so I can´t really help you on that.

Melvin
I have been running a '97 Manitou sx on a fat since 97, and it works good. Wnat to upgrade to an oil damped fork, but cant find one short enough yet. My original fat fork was 16.25" the maitou is 17.25", and the new 80 mm forks are 18.25" The manitou is 63mm travel. I need help too. What is the best suspension fork for this bike?

·
Registered
241 Posts
kindacreeky said:
I have been running a '97 Manitou sx on a fat since 97, and it works good. Wnat to upgrade to an oil damped fork, but cant find one short enough yet. My original fat fork was 16.25" the maitou is 17.25", and the new 80 mm forks are 18.25" The manitou is 63mm travel. I need help too. What is the best suspension fork for this bike?
Two viable options: The first is to get a RS SID, many of the models are an easy switch between 63 and 80 mm of travel. I think the really hardcore forks such as the World Cup ($$$$$$$$$$) come set for 63mm.

Second, if you are bigger or looking for more durability (and less cost) would be a Marz X-Fly or Atom Bomb from 2000-2002. These forks are super-easy to drop to whatever travel you desire with some spacers.

Edit: Scratch the SID, these are 1 1/8 only. The Marzocchi forks can be found in 1 inch if you look really hard. Try contacting White Bros. too. They are a small enough company that they may be willing to custom blend something for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts