Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to upgrade, Man.

"Mmm... gold and carbon.

The golden Black Box derailleur features all the carbon bits, like the short reach cage, of the Black Box range, but all metal parts have been lavishly gold plated.

Good looks require hard work. To apply the gold, the derailleur had to be disassembled before plating. With the plating finished, each bearing surface was modified manually by SRAM technicians to guarantee perfect performance.

Even with its gold layer, the derailleur still weighs less than 200 grams. Just how much this is going to cost is a secret. The eventual owner, though, will doubtless consider it to be well worth the money." - SingleTrack

Attachments

·
603 Posts
ummm why?

Is that for Interbike or something? I can’t imagine that someone would actually use that! Well anyway, it's still pretty cool - just confusing to me personally. What’s next diamond studded seat post clamps & crank arms? It just goes to show that this stuff is jewelry for bike nerds, myself included! :)

Porch

·
Registered
73 Posts
what about the front D?

i hope they didnt waste the gold on the Xgen front D. that thing is a turd.

·
Registered
363 Posts
e.y. said:
i hope they didnt waste the gold on the Xgen front D. that thing is a turd.
Campy did that for (at least) a few Colnago showbikes. A friend of mine wound up with a Ferrari themed showbike that had goldplated Record components. He asked me to come by to tell him if the bike "was worth anything" . I didn't have much of a poker face, offered him a grand and he politely declined.

The derailleur would look great in a glass case.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
That Isht needs to be on a roadbike...You know I'd be sportin' it ...then promptly lay it over on the right and slide it down a 30' peice of NE slickrock.(granite)

I gotta say that's killer though. It's be the crowing touch to that gold badged Jones Aqua posted ...now where's my lotto tickets?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I have this mental picture

Bikezilla said:
You know I'd be sportin' it ...then promptly lay it over on the right and slide it down a 30' peice of NE slickrock.(granite)
Of a badly raspberried zilla muttering various obscenities, multitool in hand, scraping gold plate off the side of said slickrock.....

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Dammit dude, you're 7 days too late. I just got the regular plain old standard 06 carbon r/d.

Those would go well with the chromed out El Camino's on Bearcloth's bike.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Eww.

Gold is so....................conquistidoran.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts