Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to begin biking to work a couple days a week here soon. Going to need a light for the early morning hours.

I'm going to attempt the clone route (yes I know, I may be in for an interesting venture).

Are there any sources for the Yinding 2x U2 in the US? If not I'll just snatch one from DX or Fasttech. I think I'm grabbing one of the 2x U2's first then adding a solarstorm for the bars later on.

I'm always eager to hear thoughts on the setup as well?? Any other clones folks might think would be a better fit?? My commute will be short, about 6 miles.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
I assume you have spent some time looking through the Yinding thread(s)? I suggest going through Wallbuys..mine came in 3 weeks, was $45 delivered, and seems to be of sufficient construction. Its the XM-L2 version. There are not any U.S. sources that I have ever seen; its China or bust on these. The risk is low for $45. Another option for a nice light from a U.S. source would be one of the Magicshine 808s from action-led-lights.com for about $40 more. I can't see how the Yinding wouldn't be a good choice; you can geek out on the spill/throw blah blah blah but at the end of the day, its a bright light that will work fine for your application.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. Mulligan.

I'm almost certainly going with the yinding. What would everyone's recommendation be for another light, say, under $75 (on top of the yinding). And which would you run bar and which helmet. So total under $125ish.

My riding is a combo, commute with the mtb in the am in the dark and occasionally mtb at night on a trail.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Alright. Mulligan.

I'm almost certainly going with the yinding. What would everyone's recommendation be for another light, say, under $75 (on top of the yinding). And which would you run bar and which helmet. So total under $125ish.

My riding is a combo, commute with the mtb in the am in the dark and occasionally mtb at night on a trail.
I already gave you a good choice. 808 from action with the Yinding will be $130ish. Amazon has the Securitying brand clones which would be ok too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already gave you a good choice. 808 from action with the Yinding will be $130ish. Amazon has the Securitying brand clones which would be ok too.

From fast tech I could get a ms brand 808e and the yinding for just about my budget. What's your take, 808 on the bars, yinding helmet? Should I get a wide angle lens for it?

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
I would do Yinding on the bar as it is more of a flood-type light; the 808 sans wide-angle is v. spotty and great for a look-around helmet light.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yinding on helmet and amazon 808 for bars it is then. I think I'll need a helmet mount for the yinding. ActionLED has gemini helmet mounts if that's the case.

Any other items I should be picking up at the same time??

Thanks for all the input!! I really appreciate it!!!

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Yinding on bar 808 on helmet.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Sure, the 808 with the wide angle works on the bars too. The one issue I have with it (I have this setup) is that it also decreases the light output quite a bit.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
That is more of a flood light suitable for the bars...lots of info here (mega-thread I believe) about that light. You can analyze this to death. Get the Yinding, get the 808, ride.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like how you think. Ordered the yinding from fasttech and the 808 securityling (808) from amazon. Now I should just need a helmet mount which it looks like actionled carries. Any other nick-nacks you'd suggest??

I really appreciate your input. I was on information overload and had a bit of paralysis happening.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Won't need anything else but a proper helmet mount. You can take the one that will come with both (it's set up to use on your head), cut off the straps, get a regular velcro strap with a buckle and make the existing one work. Will post a pic shortly.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That looks easy enough. I guess I'll save an additional $12 on top of the couple hundred I just saved. Some days being a budget minded (see broke and underpayed) chap is sort of fun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts