Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Oh ya, that was on the news last night. "Attempted murder". Feh, he's lucky that's all he'll be charged with. :madmax:

·
Registered
516 Posts
One such rant I heard on hit 97.7 this morning. The commentator benightedly reminded us all that cyclists don't carry insurance ergo they haven't paid anything towards road construction and maintenance. That peculiar and recurrent notion tells a lot about the state of the debate. By the way, are cyclists guilty of any equivalent oxymoronicisms in this debate? Just wondering, never really put any thought towards that before.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Kay. said:
One such rant I heard on hit 97.7 this morning. The commentator benightedly reminded us all that cyclists don't carry insurance ergo they haven't paid anything towards road construction and maintenance. That peculiar and recurrent notion tells a lot about the state of the debate. By the way, are cyclists guilty of any equivalent oxymoronicisms in this debate? Just wondering, never really put any thought towards that before.
The way some people think the world works blows my mind sometimes. Yep, no taxpayer has ever ridden a bike. Nosiree. :skep:

To your second point, just off the top of my head, and I paraphrase: cyclists that don't build or maintain trails don't have any right to ride them. :rolleyes:

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
Kay. said:
The usual ignorant view really.

Pedestrians and cyclists's pay for roads and side walks. We fund this every time we buy goods or a service. It's called taxes.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
one trend i've noticed there is alot of anger on the roads... people are manifesting their insecurities and using their vehicle as a form of retaliation to recapture a convoluted self worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_rage

critical mass just throws gas onto the fire. it would be much more productive to document/report these drivers to the authorities. get them off the road!

i recently had a success in just such an incident, resulting in a conviction :thumbsup:

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
There just seems to be a lot of anxiety all over the place and some of it spills out on to the road. Some of it directed at cyclists as a matter of course.

Case in point, we were out for a hike on Saturday morning, scouting a proposed trail in a local Conservation Area - perfectly normal and perfectly legal. Some crazy lady starts screaming at us from her back porch "I can see you!" Ya, and? :rolleyes:

·
All my faucets is Moen.
1,293 Posts
singlesprocket said:
critical mass just throws gas onto the fire.
Last summer in St. Catharines there were monthly critical mass rides. Being a smaller town and not advertising it you don't get the turnout you would in, let's say Toronto.
As I came back from a road ride they were just starting so I hopped on the back I think there were about 10 of us all together.
The first intersection we come to, people ride right through a red, in front of an oncoming car and come about a foot away from getting killed. Then they turned and yelled at the driver. :rolleyes:
As a guy who actually rides on the roads (a lot) I was embarrassed and couldn't believe their stupidity. My critical mass experience lasts three blocks.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
thedumbopinion said:
My critical mass experience lasts three blocks.
lol. Let's disobey traffic laws to earn respect! :skep:

Running a red light, no matter whether you're on foot, on a bike or in a car is like playing Russian roulette. :eek:ut:

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
garage monster said:
There just seems to be a lot of anxiety all over the place and some of it spills out on to the road. Some of it directed at cyclists as a matter of course.

Case in point, we were out for a hike on Saturday morning, scouting a proposed trail in a local Conservation Area - perfectly normal and perfectly legal. Some crazy lady starts screaming at us from her back porch "I can see you!" Ya, and? :rolleyes:
deja vu..

A few years ago I was doing a job for an ongoing environmental assessment up in Ottawa, me and a colleague of mine were walking through this bush lot between a railway and some residences, just doing our jobs. All of a sudden we hear some angry yelling from a distance "Hey! HEY! blah blah some unintelligible stuff..." We ignored and kept doing our thing, this guy actually made a point of coming out to the woods to confront us all red faced and irate, demanding what to know what the f*<k we were doing behind his house (actually we were a good 40-50 meters away and not remotely near his property line). We had orange safety vests on, were carrying equipment and clearly working. I still don't know what prompted him to freak out like that. Actually, I'm seeing a lot of unwarranted paranoia in our society lately, the fear mongers are winning...

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
LuMach said:
I'm seeing a lot of unwarranted paranoia in our society lately, the fear mongers are winning...
You're not wrong!

About a month ago, we were at a public consultation meeting for the same project. One guy stood up and said, I kid you not, he was worried new trails would attract rapists and child molesters to his neighbourhood.

WTF?!? Who thinks like that? :skep:

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
garage monster said:
About a month ago, we were at a public consultation meeting for the same project. One guy stood up and said, I kid you not, he was worried new trails would attract rapists and child molesters to his neighbourhood.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Some will*be found in Hamilton but there will be far more in Milton on parole or day passes.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Enduramil said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Some will*be found in Hamilton but there will be far more in Milton on parole or day passes.
Well duh but a MUP around a duck pond isn't suddenly going to draw them to his quaint corner of Ancaster. :skep:

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
garage monster said:
You're not wrong!

Yeah, that's actually kinda sad that someone would have that as such a major concern in their minds, especially when the subject at hand is something as simple as a trail.

The other side-effect of growing paranoia I seem to encounter more often than I care to is xenophobic type attitudes, I know that is something that's ever present but just feels closer to the surface in recent years. Maybe I'm the one who's paranoid? Messes with your head a little though, I have to admit..

·
Custom User Title
241 Posts
garage monster said:
You're not wrong!

I think his point was that most of them appear to be interested in mountain biking....but until some wiseguy gets the bright idea to bring a stopwatch and charge people to ride those trails and reward them with a t-shirt...he should be fine. :D

;) someone has to pick up the cause, right?

·
Registered
277 Posts
garage monster said:
lol. Let's disobey traffic laws to earn respect! :skep:

Running a red light, no matter whether you're on foot, on a bike or in a car is like playing Russian roulette. :eek:ut:
There are idiots in every aspect of life I guess but there seems to be a special hatred in the hearts of some motorists specifically towards cyclists.

I wonder if that guy would've plowed through a large group of people on foot? For some reason I doubt it.

·
namagomi
2,884 Posts
thedumbopinion said:
Last summer in St. Catharines there were monthly critical mass rides. Being a smaller town and not advertising it you don't get the turnout you would in, let's say Toronto.
As I came back from a road ride they were just starting so I hopped on the back I think there were about 10 of us all together.
The first intersection we come to, people ride right through a red, in front of an oncoming car and come about a foot away from getting killed. Then they turned and yelled at the driver. :rolleyes:
As a guy who actually rides on the roads (a lot) I was embarrassed and couldn't believe their stupidity. My critical mass experience lasts three blocks.
Yeah, sounds like it wasn't organised very well... to jam an intersection one generally waits until they have the green light to prevent such an incident, you'd need a few people todo this. However, seeing as there was 10 of you, I doubt there was even a need to run lights.

That is not the point of critical mass, if you ask me. It is however what drivers always picked on and now seems to be the only point to them. Maybe it is because those angry drivers think cyclists have nothing legitimate to complain about, so the only reason can be spite, of them, personally... :rolleyes:

Generally i'm not for breaking traffic rules, but seeing as it's a protest it would be pretty laughable if they politely waited at lights and went single file and nobody noticed them. The jamming of intersections is done to keep the protest group mostly together. Not spite or idiocy.

It could be you're just not much of a protester, because having a sanitized protest is pretty silly... I mean if you're too much of an ass kisser then somebody will come and smash your sanitized lollipop protest(think g20/queens park) anyways because people will take advantage of a weak challenge to authority(even if incidental) and will take any old excuse to wring your neck with their boot and "disperse" you. Nobody, not even the NDP, can respect somebody who is only a spineless ass kisser.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.