Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Mavic 819 rimes, but am using with standard tires and tubes. I now need to remove a tire for the first time - but lordy, how do I get the darn thing off!

Pushing the bead on one side is supposed to release it from the rim, but it's not budging at all.

Is there a secret to this?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
snoogly said:
I have Mavic 819 rimes, but am using with standard tires and tubes. I now need to remove a tire for the first time - but lordy, how do I get the darn thing off!

Pushing the bead on one side is supposed to release it from the rim, but it's not budging at all.

Is there a secret to this?
Did you try to use Tire levers?

They are like 10 bucks.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=17&item=TL-1

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks shiggy - but it's breaking the bead loose that is stumping me (almost literally). Bead not budging from the rim at all.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
snoogly said:
Thanks shiggy - but it's breaking the bead loose that is stumping me (almost literally). Bead not budging from the rim at all.
"Use your thumbs to push the tire bead away from the rim bead (toward the center). Do one side at a time."
Lay the wheel on top of a plastic garbage can if you need more leverage. Push towards the floor.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I've used a flathead screwdriver with tape to prevent metal on metal contact in this case before. Just use it to pop the bead out of its groove, not to pry the tire over the rim! Once the bead is out you can drop the opposite sides bead into the groove and then try rotating the tire towards the side you want to remove it from. I've found that mavic 8** series rims to be a royal pain in the ass so plastic tire levers can be helpful. The bead seat design on those wheels is designed to keep a tire sealed without a tube, not for ease of changing so I wouldn't feel bad about reefing on it with a lever. I have had very poor experiences with metal levers, plastic ones are really the way to go, they won't scratch or damage the rims at all.

Shiggy, I think that Tubeless rims are a whole magnitude of difficulty to get beads to release and tires off the rims. That instructional article is helpful but I don't think it takes into account a tubeless rim.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the screwdriver tip. No joy, I'm afraid. Not even a hint of movement.

Looks like I'll be taking the wheel down to the LBS at the weekend - to learn how to do it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
I've used a flathead screwdriver with tape to prevent metal on metal contact in this case before. Just use it to pop the bead out of its groove, not to pry the tire over the rim! Once the bead is out you can drop the opposite sides bead into the groove and then try rotating the tire towards the side you want to remove it from. I've found that mavic 8** series rims to be a royal pain in the ass so plastic tire levers can be helpful. The bead seat design on those wheels is designed to keep a tire sealed without a tube, not for ease of changing so I wouldn't feel bad about reefing on it with a lever. I have had very poor experiences with metal levers, plastic ones are really the way to go, they won't scratch or damage the rims at all.

Shiggy, I think that Tubeless rims are a whole magnitude of difficulty to get beads to release and tires off the rims. That instructional article is helpful but I don't think it takes into account a tubeless rim.
Gawd NO! NEVER use a screw driver, even if you "pad" it.

The issue here is popping the bead loose. Once the bead is free the removal technique is the same. I have never needed a lever on 819 rims, with or without tubes. Never takes me more than 40-50 seconds either.
Use the garbage can support, your thumbs and you body weight for the tough ones. It is not that difficult!

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
OP is running tubes... tire really shouldn't be stuck to the rim at all. Weird. :confused:

I have occasionally needed a tire lever for my 819's, depends on the tire manufacturer. Some slide on easy, some are tighter than a high school girl on Prom night! :D

-DL

·
baka baka!
69 Posts
for the tough ones, i find that a little soapy water along where the bead meets the rim while pushing the tire towards the center of the rim works pretty well.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
snoogly said:
Thanks for the screwdriver tip. No joy, I'm afraid. Not even a hint of movement.

Looks like I'll be taking the wheel down to the LBS at the weekend - to learn how to do it.
Put down the screwdriver. Get out the trash can and
push.gif

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
One of the advantages of having rock climber's fingers. I can pry off almost everything.. :)

To the OP - push harder. :D

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Kastnerd said:
Im sorry to ask this, But are you sure all the air is out?
That's what I was thinking... you need to really get as much air out of the tube as possible-having it kinda soft isn't good enough. Push on the valve stem while "squishing" the tire to get every bit of air out that you possibly can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts