Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's protocol for what to do with other mtb'ers and pedestrians on the trail? so far i've been lucky enough to have hikers get out of my way or i ask to pass and they do so without a problem. and i also just get out of the way of other bikers before something worse happens

·
Registered
202 Posts
If I'm coming up behind hikers, a lil heads-up white noise is usually good enough for me to get their attention, and they've always gotten out of the way.. ie a cough from a distance.. or a shift of gears is usually quite enough.. I always pass with a 'good morning' or something too so I don't come across as an elitest snob or something. We're all out there enjoying what the trail offers in our own way after all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Uphill has right of way.
If you are coming up on hikers or slow bikers, yell "Riders Back" a good distance away. So they have time to freak out (they will), calm down, and move out of the way before you actually come upon them. And slow down when passing. Add a nice "Thanks" as you ride by.
When passing, it helps to mention if you are alone or how many more people in your group are behind you or if you are the last.

·
Registered
113 Posts
a lot of trails have ground rules posted about whether bikers yield to hikers or hikers yield to bikers. Abide by that rule as best you can, but ultimately for me at least, it's like Fyrblade says. If it's clear to me that the other guy will enjoy the trail on an awesome downhill section and I'm going up hill with somewhere to easily get out of his way, I'll move over & let him have fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
4-legged etiquette

It should be added for any of us that ride trails where horses are allowed: Yield to them under all circumstances. In terms of passing, I'll usually ask those on horseback what is best for them and their animal. If you come across fresh horse poop, keep an eye out and slow down. Nobody wants to spook a horse and get someone hurt.

Otherwise, use common sense. We're all out there in search of our bliss; be polite, and don't forget to smile and say thanks in return. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was under the impression that uphill had the right of way as nord said. Bill-E-Bob makes a good point though in that all that going uphill is for all the fun of the down part brings.
It's harder to stop and start again going uphill but if I had to decide whether I had to stop going up or coming down, I'd take going up so I could enjoy the down more. Once you are
speeding downhill, you don't want anything interrupting the best part. It should be whoever yells "ME FIRST!" like when kids yell for the ice cream truck.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,875 Posts
+1 on horse ettiquette. Thats especially important. I ride at a couple places where horse traffic is common. Please come to a stop and dismount the bike. Stand still until you get the nod from the rider. You'll get big time appreciation from the rider who doesn't have to fear a spooked horse, and it shows respect to the animal. After all, he's just walking around and doesn't know what the he'll is going on. Good karma all around.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I yield to everyone, as mountain bikers we need to be respectful to everyone, hikers, joggers, horses, everyone. It is the few bikers that give us all a bad name so courtesy to everyone helps all of us. If I am on a steep climb I will push the issue with other bikers because it is tough to get started on a hard uphill climb but most of the time I will stop and give way for all joggers, hikers or horses. You never know when you show courtesy to someone, they may be the one who makes the decision to keep that trail open.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I worried about this yesterday as it was my first day riding. I wound up asking a jogger who had just finished and he told me just to call out "Bike on left" and pass on the left or if that's not possible just do the same for passing on the right. It works pretty good. I've only had two instances where I call out "bike on left", both times when I was about to overtake people walking side by side and the person on the left heads for the left side of the trail. I've been slowing as I near them so it's no big deal and in both cases we've all just laughed about it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah, the "on left" or whatever can cause confusion. I experience that on the slopes snowboarding.

If you do go that route, use "passing on your left" don't say "bike on left" as that can cause confusion.

Generally, I'm far enough back and going as a slow enough pace, that "Rider Back" gives them enough time to turn around and see you, and then make their own motion to the left or right of the trail to let you by (this is for hikers).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, the "on left" or whatever can cause confusion. I experience that on the slopes snowboarding.

If you do go that route, use "passing on your left" don't say "bike on left" as that can cause confusion.

Generally, I'm far enough back and going as a slow enough pace, that "Rider Back" gives them enough time to turn around and see you, and then make their own motion to the left or right of the trail to let you by (this is for hikers).
Thanks! I'll try that out tomorrow. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
767 Posts
I just want to add this for the beginners

Bike vs bike.: Uphill has right of way. There is no imaginary line in the middle of single track. The reason is that uphill riders don't have the momentum to move aside. It's much eaiser for the downhill rider to pull over since they have gravity on their side.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yield to horses and pedestrians at all times unless otherwise posted. To clarify, yield doesn't mean to stop. Use common sense on this one and dont be an a**hole like I have noticed from a lot of seasonal riders.

Uphill riders have right of way.

and, common sense dictates that a larger group of riders should have the right of way... unless they are slow.

Dogs never have the right of way and are the responsibility of the owner.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Rules of the Trail | International Mountain Bicycling Association

Local rules take precedence.

I generally don't expect people to understand obscure commands or respond positively to being told what to do by a stranger. (Would you?) So when I encounter hikers or slower mountain bikers, I slow down and say "hi." It's generally a much more positive interaction, IME.

I frequently yield to people descending when I'm climbing and I see them first. But I don't expect it from others; when they do it's nice, and when they don't, I'm not carrying so much speed I can't stop.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.