Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
I love Yetis bike, have owned five of them and really like the SI system. I think their main downside is weight. This doesn’t look light, but perhaps with carbon flexible pivots it could be.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I love Yetis bike, have owned five of them and really like the SI system. I think their main downside is weight. This doesn’t look light, but perhaps with carbon flexible pivots it could be.
The SI is only 210g (40g comes from the bearings) ... not exactly heavy when you consider people happily slap a bottle full of water + pump + multi-tool + spare tube on their frame

(Missing 1 bearing on this pic)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interesting. I wonder when they'll be rolling that out.
Looking at those articles and mention of flex link really puts a monkey wrench in my plan to get a SB115 (that and finances and Shimano availability). Definitely would like to know time frames here...or even this is just a pre-emptive patent filing that isn't going anywhere...

·
Dirty Old Man
1,067 Posts
Looking at those articles and mention of flex link really puts a monkey wrench in my plan to get a SB115 (that and finances and Shimano availability). Definitely would like to know time frames here...or even this is just a pre-emptive patent filing that isn't going anywhere...
I can't imagine they'll be coming out too soon seeing as to how the SB115 just came out. You've got plenty of time to save. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
567 Posts
My guess would be around three- four years, given a typical product cycle.
The patent filing looks like it is fairly well developed. I'd also guess that Yeti is going with a concept that is close to it for its future models. With that said I'd remain skeptical of patent filings as indications for what future products will look like. I work for a huge global auto supplier and we are encouraged to patent everything and anything we can come up with. I even have a few of my own. because of that, even if the idea is novel and unique enough to be patented, doesn't necessarily mean that it has a good real world application.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The switch is pretty novel but it creates some packaging challenges for water bottles not to mention a motor :). If you look at the current SB130/150 the rear triangle has to sit farther back, in addition to using a shock extender just to get room for a bottle. Also because the main pivot is on sliders, the preload variability means it's never going to be as torsionally rigid as conventional pivots with cross members.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The pinkbike post had another section of the wheelbase paper with the "when" addressed:

When?

When will we see this system released on a new bike? Well, according to Yeti, not any time soon - "We are constantly developing and exploring new ideas. However, not all R&D projects make it to production. We have several test mules of various suspension designs that we’ve been on for years. At the present, we are planned out through 2023 and this patent isn’t in our production line." All the same, it's interesting to get a glimpse at what's being developed, and to examine the different elements that make up a new suspension system.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
My take away from reading the article and I am no engineer nor do I have "insider" info..

2 similiar but slightly different systems could expand model line up or help certain categories of bikes perform better.

First system is linear - good for long travel bikes designed around a coil like Sb165 or DH?

Second system is more linear and better pedaling efficiency- designed a round a air shock and maybe intended for Downcountry/trail applications? We saw this with SI for sb100/115

Both systems being lighter than SI, increase tire clearance (no super boost needed), also can play with chainstay length better, stiffer, more compact frame...

If you read the pinkbike.com comments about saving on royalties to fox etc, this could help keep cost the same.

When gen 1 Switch, and current SI were introduced into the industry they both drew the same criticism until people started experiencing this "new" crazy technology. A lot of people who currently ride Yeti still don't know what SI is. There are riders who don't care to know either and just enjoy the bike.

Yeti has always been about pushing "boundaries" and not conforming or adopting...this is the same and what sets Yeti apart. Because of this they are also not the first to come to market with some standards. They were very late on 27.5/29 and now emtb.

All we can do is wait and see ..imo.

I would bet that whatever is coming next wont disappoint........

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,014 Posts
When gen 1 Switch, and current SI were introduced into the industry they both drew the same criticism until people started experiencing this "new" crazy technology. A lot of people who currently ride Yeti still don't know what SI is. There are riders who don't care to know either and just enjoy the bike.

Yeti has always been about pushing "boundaries" and not conforming or adopting...this is the same and what sets Yeti apart. Because of this they are also not the first to come to market with some standards. They were very late on 27.5/29 and now emtb.
That's a whole lot of kool-aid right there. Wasn't the first switch significantly flawed? And SI has not been without issues, it seems to be fairly often based on this page. The reason Yeti went down this path is because Yeti wanted to come up with a way to get around 100% AS through at least half of the travel without infringing on other companies patents. One such example is the SC Hightower is nearly identical to the SB130. Yeti's kinematics could be achieved with two links, which would be simpler (easier to service, less reinforcement necessary, etc.), but would likely expose them to patent violation, there's nothing crazy or pushing the boundaries there. The kinematics are already broken down and analyzed. SI is just a wonky way to achieve the same as a dual-link bike, except it's never better execution to make something more complicated than it needs to be...It's not a huge problem though, just paint the bikes turquoise and people will want them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts