Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I found my SB6 swingarm cracked a month ago and I go to my LBS and YETI get my warrant of cause.
However, they declined my request with some ridiculous reasons.
Yeti said because the rubber protector has some dents and sure it come into contact with somethings and they assume this contact as external force causing the crack.

Than I ask YETI to comment on the bugle that surround the peeled-off paint twice cause in my opinion it look like the paint off cause of the bending of the chainstay

but YETI NEVER give me any answers on that but only state this is cause by external force whatever it is on the trails even though the impact itself can be unnoticeable.

YETI doesn't reply to my last mail on asking their comments on the bulging issue. Now I have no ideas what else I can do.
Can you guys give me some suggestions.
Thank you all.

Attachments

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Man, it definitely sucks whenever serious damage compromises a nice expensive frame regardless of the cause and I definitely feel for anyone this happens to. I feel for you!

This is probably going to be unpopular, but that being said, from the perspective of the guys assessing the warranty claim I can kind of see where they are coming from here. From their perspective, that swingarm definitely *appears* to have seen some pointy impacts as evidenced by the holes in the guard (which is sort of it’s own issue entirely as you’d think maybe they could beef those up a bit to disperse focused impact energy better). It’s harder for me to tell what happened with that larger hole: Did you cut away the frame tape on and around that big hole, or was the frame tape torn off when you discovered the damage? Was it the epicenter of a rock strike or the result of damage incurred when that pointy impact through the guard immediately adjacent to it occurred that then revealed itself as the swingarm flexed and the paint flaked away? I don’t know and the photos make it tough to see exactly what’s going on in there because of the shadow. Yeti designs a decent amount of flex into their rear triangles and it’s possible that once the impact compromises the carbon matrix, that flexing stresses the compromised carbon and subsequently overstresses the areas around it which are taking on more load and flexing more than they should. In this instance the paint would begin to bulge as the flexing of the rear triangle causes the damaged area to compress and expand causing cracks to spider out into the surrounding carbon while riding after the strike. I hate to say it, but based on the photos this is what I would hypothesize could have occurred in a totally unqualified way.

I could be wrong, and I would be upset in your shoes too, but looking at it objectively, there is evidence of some decent trail-incurred damage very close to the site of the paint flaking / carbon cracking that it’s tough for a warranty assessor to ignore. :(. Good luck and I hope you’re able to get back out there soon on a crash replacement rear or something else.

I’m not saying you should do this and I hate to say it, but it might be a good idea to put on fresh guards with a little trail dust prior to taking the pictures if something like this were to occur in the future and you found yourself desperate to get a claim resolved, but that probably wouldn’t be ethical and may not hold up upon closer inspection anyway...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sorry dude, but it clearly looks like your swing arm smashed in to something, or an object smashed in to it. That's not covered by standard warranty. Paint is peeling BECAUSE your swing arm came in to contact with something which caused the paint to chip, flex the carbon, and in turn, peel the paint. You seriously don't think that Yeti will change their mind because your paint is bulging due to impact damage now do you?

I know it's super trendy to hate on Yeti's warranty these days, but I'm with them on this one. It's impact related and didn't just break on its own. Don't be an ass, negotiate the cost of a new swing arm, and go on with your day.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,774 Posts
I'm with Yeti on that as well. something external introduced forces to bust that. if it broke by itself it wouldn't have nipped the plastic protector.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sorry OP but what do you expect? They can't be expected to warranty frame damage, which this clearly is. Warranty covers failure due to manufacturing. I cracked my SB130 frame and Yeti overnighted me a new one, in my choice of colors. That's because it cracked on a seam so was covered under warranty.

This sucks for sure, but it's not on Yeti to replace it.

·
EDR
10,422 Posts
You might think about modifying or tempering the tone of your title to this thread. What would be a joke is if Yeti agreed to warranty what looks to be obvious impact damage.

None of us are happy to hear about your situation and your bike getting thrashed but it is what it is. There is no way an assessor of the warranty could look at that and provide warranty replacement. He'd be fired.

And sometimes major damage happens and we're not even aware of it at the time. I once took a pretty good spill on my old 575 and rode it several times after that. it wasn't until I removed the rear wheel and tried to put it back on that I realized the chainstay was completely bent. I couldn't even get the wheel back without forcing it, but somehow I rode it for days like that. Yeti offered me crash replacement rear triangle or the opportunity to pay more and upgrade the entire frame from an '08 to a 2012. I was cool with that.

·
Registered
439 Posts

And sometimes major damage happens and we're not even aware of it at the time.
This is really the key. It's great that companies like Santa Cruz provide lifetime warranties, but crash replacement is probably more likely to come into play in my opinion. I figure once I put my bike down on the trail there is a chance that I caused any future issues. Not guaranteed, but possible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sucks that you smacked a rock with your chainstay, not sure what they want to charge you for a new rear triangle but that's an ez repair for someone who fixes carbon. Probably looking at 250$ to 400$ to get that fixed and it'd be better than new.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.