Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone out there has ridden and compared any or all of these bikes:

Yeti ASR-SL

Turner Burner

Titus Racer X

Can you give some of the pros and cons of each (ride up and down, handling, weight, durability)?

Thanks

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
A buddy of mine rides an ASR and we have swiched bikes before mainly so he could check out my HH100X. The Yeti is a Looooong bike it felt stable and peddled pretty well (5th element air) I didn’t push it too hard but It just didn’t have as solid a feel as my HH. Look at the main pivot of the Yeti and the main pivot of the Titus or Turner, the durability question will be clear.

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Endomaniac said:
A buddy of mine rides an ASR and we have swiched bikes before mainly so he could check out my HH100X. The Yeti is a Looooong bike it felt stable and peddled pretty well (5th element air) I didn't push it too hard but It just didn't have as solid a feel as my HH. Look at the main pivot of the Yeti and the main pivot of the Titus or Turner, the durability question will be clear.
Does anyone here think a Turner would be a better XC frame than a Titus if built up the same?

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
No. Both are top-notch frames and your decision should be based on fit.
I have rode Hard tails for the last 14 years for training, racing, etc..... My main ride during that time was a Fat Chance "yo Eddy" ( I have heard the racer X geometry is based off of that frame). I would like a FS XC bike that is light and durable. I plan to keep on XC riding and not really dropping off of anything so travel is not a big deal, more of the comfort factor with the FS. I really don't think I will be racing again unless it is endurance type races (8/12/24hr) and I want a bike I could do that with as well as train with it. I think these 3 bikes are my top choices and would love to hear anyone that rides the same way I do tell me what they think of their ride.

Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey Roy, me too

roy harley said:
I have rode Hard tails for the last 14 years for training, racing, etc..... My main ride during that time was a Fat Chance "yo Eddy" ( I have heard the racer X geometry is based off of that frame). I would like a FS XC bike that is light and durable. I plan to keep on XC riding and not really dropping off of anything so travel is not a big deal, more of the comfort factor with the FS. I really don't think I will be racing again unless it is endurance type races (8/12/24hr) and I want a bike I could do that with as well as train with it. I think these 3 bikes are my top choices and would love to hear anyone that rides the same way I do tell me what they think of their ride.

Thanks
Roy, it sounds like we are in the same boat. I am a CO rider, former racer, who now enjoys long epic rides and a little endurance racing a few times a season. I will be building a new bike for '05 and am currently leaning toward the turner flux. The racer x-100 is also under consideration. I have ruled out the yeti because I really want the 100% neutral suspension performance of a well designed horst link bike. IMO a 4" travel bike is enough for someone who still wants excellent climbing performance, and if the build is done carefully these bikes can come in around 23 lbs. I am riding a blur currently but the pedal feedback and suspension lockout during steep singletrack climbing drives me nuts.
I am looking forward to seeing what the weight of the flux frame is going to be as well as the geometry, I wonder if it will have a 70 degree HA like the burner or if steeper? I hope we see more replies to your thread from people with similar riding styles who have ridden the burner vs the rx-100 or hh. Also look forward to hearing what you decide.

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
barrows said:
Roy, it sounds like we are in the same boat. I am a CO rider, former racer, who now enjoys long epic rides and a little endurance racing a few times a season. I will be building a new bike for '05 and am currently leaning toward the turner flux. The racer x-100 is also under consideration. I have ruled out the yeti because I really want the 100% neutral suspension performance of a well designed horst link bike. IMO a 4" travel bike is enough for someone who still wants excellent climbing performance, and if the build is done carefully these bikes can come in around 23 lbs. I am riding a blur currently but the pedal feedback and suspension lockout during steep singletrack climbing drives me nuts.
I am looking forward to seeing what the weight of the flux frame is going to be as well as the geometry, I wonder if it will have a 70 degree HA like the burner or if steeper? I hope we see more replies to your thread from people with similar riding styles who have ridden the burner vs the rx-100 or hh. Also look forward to hearing what you decide.
I would love to hear some of your ideas on a 23lbs build. I would love to get it right below 25lbs.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I haven't ridden the Turner, yet, but have owned a Hammerhead for almost three years and I recently moved to Loveland,CO after several years riding the tight & twist of Vermont. Over the years I've ridden a number of other high-zoot bikes like the Ells Truth, Tracer, X-5, El Salty, Litespeeds, etc...
Honestly, I can't say enough good things about the HH. It's a wonderfully verstaile bike. I've yet to come across any terrain where the HH holds me back. 3 weeks ago I did a 4 hr ride to the top of Crosier mtn with some good riders on Ventanas & Turners. It was probably the most technical downhill I've done and I pretty much had the lead both up & down despite their 5" of travel & Maverick forks. This weekend I was in Vail and rode 25 miles & 5500 vertical one day and 20 miles with 4000 vertical the next and had a big smile the entire time.
My bike weighs at 27# & change but is built for durability and comfort with a TALAS, Louise FR brakes, UST rims/tires, Thomson stem post, King hub & headset, PUSH'd AVA shock, etc....
A 25# wouldn't be hard to achieve but you would have to sacrifice some stiffness & plushness. 23# would be hard to get to and would require some serious weight weenie parts that, I think, might get eaten alive by the more technical trails.

·
Registered
790 Posts
light build

roy harley said:
I would love to hear some of your ideas on a 23lbs build. I would love to get it right below 25lbs.
That shouldn't be too hard as long as you are willing to spend! My blur weighs a bit over 23 lbs. I am a WW, but I do not use any parts that I do not feel are strong enough. BTW I weigh in at 165 or so and I am an XC rider: in other words I do not thrash my bike but I do ride fast.
Blur Build: float 100 rlc with ti bosses, stans v-brake wheelset w 240s hubs and blue groove lites, easton carbon post, cut w ti bolt, RF deus stem (heavy) w ti bolts, easton monkeylite sl carbon bar, Fizik aliante carbon saddle (comfy and relatively light), XTR m960 crank with ti inner bolts, XTR front derailleur w ti bolts, XTR rear derailleur w ti & al bolts, XTR v-brakes, XTR shifter/brake levers not dual-control, crank bros candy ti pedals, stans notubes sealant, al headset compression bolt, ti seatclamp bolt, mavic skewers

To build with light discs would weigh at least 4 oz more, but one could offset that weight with a lighter stem and crank bros triple ti eggs for example. To build light you just have to pay attention to every part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.