Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SkreaminQuadz
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that Yeti sizes appear to run a big larger than what I'm used to. I currently ride a 15.5" 96 stumpy and i love the way it fits. I'm pretty short though at 5'7". The small Yeti 575 is 17.5". This seems like a big leap. While I did ride it (albeit, in a parking lot) and i could definitely notice the size difference, I'm not sure how that difference will play out on an trail. What have your experiences been with Yeti sizes? Also, 95stumpy - what size was your stumpy compared to the 575 you have now?

·
EDR
10,104 Posts
jhhall said:
I've noticed that Yeti sizes appear to run a big larger than what I'm used to. I currently ride a 15.5" 96 stumpy and i love the way it fits. I'm pretty short though at 5'7". The small Yeti 575 is 17.5". This seems like a big leap. While I did ride it (albeit, in a parking lot) and i could definitely notice the size difference, I'm not sure how that difference will play out on an trail. What have your experiences been with Yeti sizes? Also, 95stumpy - what size was your stumpy compared to the 575 you have now?
I think the bike has a upright riding position (at least compared to what I have ridden in the past), imo this makes the bike seem a little smaller than one might think by just looking at the seat tube length. I am 5'8'' with shoes on. I went with a medium and its a pefect fit, my xc bike was a small. I'm a little longer in the torso with a 30inch inseam. There is no way a small will be too big for you. Of course stem lengths, seat position and whatnot can play a role in all this. I would say you really need to try and ride both. Make sure each has the same lenght stem if possible. Remember this bike probably has a different cockpit feeling than the stumpy so it might feel a little awkward at first but I have come to love it.

One nice thing about the bike is that with the drop down TT you can easily go up a frame size and still be able to 'flick' the bike around caus the TT isn't the way of our thighs/knees so much.

Sounds like a small might be good for you.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The small will fit like a glove

jhhall said:
JHhall,

Just get the small. You may have to go for a smaller stem 90mm or what ever depending on the top tube lenght.

Tip - Check the Top tube lenght measurement from specialized on your current bike and the stem lenght you are using right now. Then check the 575's top tube lenght and add the stem lenght that you need to make it equal.

so that, 96 stumpy TT lenght+ stem lenght = 575 TT lenght + stem lenght as a reference

·
Adobo Lover
984 Posts
my stumpy is a 15.5. I'm surprised yours is a 15. I'm 5 6" and I'm maxed out on my seatpost. I was maxed out on my stock seatpost back then also. With the way the yeti's frame is my stand over height is more than enough. When I first rode it on the first half of fountainhead, just like eatdrink ride said, it was a little awkward. When I dropped the stem down(120 mm length)and rode the last half, it was not too far off to my stumpy. My stumpy has been modified though. 110 stem with 2 inch riser bars all to get upright than the standard streched out racing position. It was nimble and I was able to throw it around when I wanted to. The Yeti doesn't give me the stretched out feeling, but more upright and I felt I still can throw it around even though the 7-8 lb weight difference(I'm thinking my stock yeti is around 30). You just going to have to play with stem, stack height, and the seat. Right now I think my seat is too far back. Feels like I'm pedaling from the back seat. The thing is I only have one ride in. The holiday's are killing me. I also am getting my rocket gripshift installed sometime this weekend. You know, I never really looked at the size of the bike outside of the small sticker. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

·
Adobo Lover
984 Posts
Darn you ZR, now you got me thinking of Pushing my fork!!! Not until the summer, but I'm pretty sure the spring isn't soft enough for my weight. So, I figured once I'm monetarily ready, instead of just buying a spring, I might have them tune it for me. Right now I'll see how playing with the rebound will do.

·
SkreaminQuadz
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zr - i used your stem equation. and i think that's the reason! the stem on my stumpy is visually longer than the yeti. after reading these posts i went back to REI to ride it again. and i could visually tell the differenece in the stem. so thanks for the mathematical equation it worked!

edr - the size didn't feel as different as it did the first time i rode the 575. so it looks like a small is the way to go. i'd like to look at a medium, but the nearest store that carries it is probably over 100 miles away. so small it will be.

95stumpy - yeah, i know zr already has me thinking of Pushing before i even OWN a yeti. i'm glad to know you made the transition from the exact same frame and size i had to the yeti i'm looking at. i'm sure it will need a bit of tweeking, but i'm looking forward to that part!

thanks again guys!

·
EDR
10,104 Posts
Stumpy, tell the inlaws that your going to the x-mas shopping, then ride! Haha.

Jhhall, the small shoud be perfect. You can always put a longer stem on if that what you like. I'm thinking of buying a 90mm (my stock is 100mm).

The funny thing with this bike is it feels better and better as you get 10 or 12 rides under your belt.

·
Banned
656 Posts
jhhall said:
im 5'6.5" and the small fits me perfect w/ a 100stem. Get it youll be happy as hell you did.

·
EDR
10,104 Posts
95Stumpy said:
:) I wish it was that simple. How tall are you eatdrinkride and what size is your ride? My stock stem is 120mm.
5'8''. I have the stock enduro kit RF stem. Must be 100mm. I might snag a 90mm RF xc stem, Jenson has them for 25 bucks right now. Just thinking of some more things i want to save on shipping, haha.

·
a.k.a. Yeti Ken
112 Posts
I rented a demo for a friend a few months ago and size was a concern for him. He is 5' 7" and the small was perfect. He usually rides a medium [late 90s] Stumpy.

Ken

·
SkreaminQuadz
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GS_Ken said:
I rented a demo for a friend a few months ago and size was a concern for him. He is 5' 7" and the small was perfect. He usually rides a medium [late 90s] Stumpy.

Ken
thanks. i'm definitely leaning towards the small. i'm liking the fit more the more i ride it - even though i'm only talking about 3 rides on a paved lot. i also went to ride the stumpy fsr, and that one was a medium. gracias amigo!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I'm 5' 6" and my 575 is a small with a 100mm stem. I wouldn't want it any smaller.

·
Registered
32 Posts
med. ??

hi all,

i'm 5'7" with a 29in. inseam and i went with a med. because i thought with this size i could go from a 70mm stem to a 100mm stem and still be in the center of the bike. with a small i felt more comfortable with a 110mm stem or 120mm and a laid back seat post and anything lower would just make the cockpit too small. (the guys a yeti recommend that you don't go over 100mm). problem here is that my butt would be too far over the back tire and my head too far forward. i was told that its better to stay in the middle of the bike. maybe i'm wrong but is this a new way to fit bikes or is it just yeti's way? i do wish that the seat post was lower, right now i have only about 6in. out, as far as it looks i wish i could have more post out.

·
Adobo Lover
984 Posts
I guess they found the bike to work better with a stem equal to or below 100mm after the 04 model. My 04/05(rp3 and 130 Van RL) came with a stock 110-120 Arc stem. I just replaced it with a 100 5 degree Thomson.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi I saw post im around your height at 5 7" up unitl last year i was riding a 16" ARC and then went and got myself a stablemate ASR i went for a medium with a 120mm stem and it fits me perfectly i think it just depends on the riding position you want up straight or low XC race i went for the latter as thats my riding bias.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Markb said:
hi I saw post im around your height at 5 7" up unitl last year i was riding a 16" ARC and then went and got myself a stablemate ASR i went for a medium with a 120mm stem and it fits me perfectly i think it just depends on the riding position you want up straight or low XC race i went for the latter as thats my riding bias.
120s too much for tech downhill and such imo....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts