Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bikes got stolen a couple weeks ago and I looking at 2 bikes to replace a Cannondale JekyllI'm looking at a Yeti 6c and a Nomad for NorthStar Enduro, riding Pacifica, and Santa Cruz. Both bikes are on sale, but I'm running out of time to get them in time for the race. Yeti is $1200 more. Nomad is x01 build, yeti the same.

concerns:
read about Yeti 6c rear triangle failures. Did this get fixed or just preproduction frames.
Yeti customer service. Don't know how responsive they are?
Nomad is not boost, is this a big deal for a new bikes I plan to keep for 3-5 years
Both bikes have been out for 2 years and Santa Cruz updated 5010 and the Bronson, is nomad next. Yeti has a sale now, which leads me to think frame design may be coming.

Theyre both good bikes, and rode them both. Like the yeti just a little bit more, but with the extra money, I could get ibis 741 and make Nomad better.

Thoughts or concerns,

thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
Boost doesn't matter if you plan on keeping the bike for a while. If anything you'll be able to find good deals on wheels in a few years.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
I would get a Yeti just to be different around here.

We are the stronghold of Santa Cruz bikes around here. But around Colorado, Yeti has a cult-like following. Good community and support too. And now they have unbelievable racers to prove the bikes are ok.

I rode a 6c for the last couple days and it's good. Very active, supple suspension with good traction. Climbing too.

Boost is important because in 3 years, all bikes in that category will be Boost. Better resale and better parts selection. It has better stiffness and mud clearance but that's hard to notice for most.

fc

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
carbon wheels would be a far greater improvement to the ride quality than a Boost hub or a unique headtube badge... If you're planning on keeping the bike for 3+ years it's kind of silly to be factoring perceived resale IMO. You should just assume you won't get much for either one at that point.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd go boost just to avoid compatibility issues down the road.

I'm stuck with several bikes with old and different standards.
Depends on how much the price difference is right now, it can be a lot less to pick up some of the last non-Boost builds. And he said only for 3-5 years so that should be fine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
^^ Sure, but it's not going to be hard to find non BOOST hubs and rims in three years. Maybe in 6 or 7, though.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I ride a 6c and love it. its a plus that they are not as many around imho..plus its the bike that has won the EWS last couple years! just my .02

·
Registered
79 Posts
Santa Cruz and other Norcal bike companies invest in Norcal trails and events, and employ local people. So that seems like a half-decent reason to support 'em, if we're talking about fashion and being hipsters.

·
Registered
760 Posts
...if we're talking about fashion and being hipsters.
Dude, this is MTBR... DUH! :)

OP should save some money and buy a year old used version of either of those bikes from an overpaid dentist who rides said bike once a month at Wilder, but clearly cannot ride it anymore as it doesn't support the latest standard/fad of the month. Beat the crap out of it at N*/Pacifica/etc for a year or so, then maybe by then the current standards craze will have settled down to sh1t that actually works and makes a difference. At that point buy a new bike that might actually remain current for a while.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Santa Cruz and other Norcal bike companies invest in Norcal trails and events, and employ local people. So that seems like a half-decent reason to support 'em, if we're talking about fashion and being hipsters.
That's a big reason I bought an Ibis.

·
I'm really diggin it!
3,079 Posts
Dude, this is MTBR... DUH! :)

OP should save some money and buy a year old used version of either of those bikes from an overpaid dentist who rides said bike once a month at Wilder, but clearly cannot ride it anymore as it doesn't support the latest standard/fad of the month. Beat the crap out of it at N*/Pacifica/etc for a year or so, then maybe by then the current standards craze will have settled down to sh1t that actually works and makes a difference. At that point buy a new bike that might actually remain current for a while.
This is exactly what I did.

26" carbon nomad 2c hope bling nothing spared for 2k about s year ago.

I think I can trust the 148 standard will be around for a bit. So I'm thinking of getting a new 148 hardtail.

However I'd like to see an option so u could have a DH, AM and HT all with the same wheel and axle size.

That securely set as a standard Id invest in all new bikes. I'm not seeing that right now so I'm maintaining my AM and DH for now and selling the HT.

Anyone want to buy a 29er HT ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is exactly what I did.

26" carbon nomad 2c hope bling nothing spared for 2k about s year ago.

I think I can trust the 148 standard will be around for a bit. So I'm thinking of getting a new 148 hardtail.

However I'd like to see an option so u could have a DH, AM and HT all with the same wheel and axle size.

That securely set as a standard Id invest in all new bikes. I'm not seeing that right now so I'm maintaining my AM and DH for now and selling the HT.

Anyone want to buy a 29er HT ?

As much as I would like to wait, I started riding 2 years ago and started racing for the first time this year. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'm trying to learn to work on my bike, not very comfortable yet. Most of the stuff I've learned about bikes comes from my local bike shops and the people on the forum (thanks FC,Davey Simon, and several others).

I'm not very comfortable buying used, especially carbon, so I find stuff going on sale a buy new. I'm hoping to build my first bike next year. I started this thread because I know this isn't the best time to buy a bike, the industry is having an unusual about of change and wanted to make the best decision on a new bike.

Yeti and Santa Cruz are both on sale (as is everything else), and I'm weighing, getting a good bike, local companies, and smaller bike shops who have been so helpful.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll ride both bike again today, and make my decision.

·
I'm really diggin it!
3,079 Posts
As much as I would like to wait, I started riding 2 years ago and started racing for the first time this year. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'm trying to learn to work on my bike, not very comfortable yet. Most of the stuff I've learned about bikes comes from my local bike shops and the people on the forum (thanks FC,Davey Simon, and several others).

I'm not very comfortable buying used, especially carbon, so I find stuff going on sale a buy new. I'm hoping to build my first bike next year. I started this thread because I know this isn't the best time to buy a bike, the industry is having an unusual about of change and wanted to make the best decision on a new bike.

Yeti and Santa Cruz are both on sale (as is everything else), and I'm weighing, getting a good bike, local companies, and smaller bike shops who have been so helpful.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll ride both bike again today, and make my decision.
I've been racing and riding bikes on narrow dirt trails for for a couple decades and I'd be lost if given a check from insurance too

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey does that yeti 6c have that 'baby sized' fox shock down by the bottom bracket, if so it looks kinda weird/proprietary/hard to get parts for. I'm probably wrong but SC bikes always have 'normal' builds/components and they usually stack the deck pretty good even on the low-end builds

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
I've been racing and riding bikes on narrow dirt trails for for a couple decades and I'd be lost if given a check from insurance too

It has two mini-fox looking shocks but they are just sliders. They don't hold air pressure.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
So here are three exciting new bikes. It's a good time to be in the market.

Note: if you're happy with your current stuff, ignore all this banter.

Trek Slash 29er - 160mm travel

P8170050.jpg

Pivot Firebird - 27.5 with 170mm travel
P8170007.jpg

Specialized Enduro - 27.5 with 170mm travel or 29er with 160mm. Or Plus
Harookz_EnduroLaunch_7275.jpg

All should be available in a month

1 - 20 of 29 Posts