Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
It's fun to monster-truck sections, but I prefer fun/flickability. This led me to consider 650b, and I headed out to a demo day.
Dude. If you like fun and flickability you should definitely check out the Endurad 559 wheels size. Stiffer, lighter, stronger, and cheaper (when do you ever get all four of those properties!?) than 650b, and more flickablily than you can shake a flikability stick at.

·
Warrior of Weekends
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude. If you like fun and flickability you should definitely check out the Endurad 559 wheels size. Stiffer, lighter, stronger, and cheaper (when do you ever get all four of those properties!?) than 650b, and more flickablily than you can shake a flikability stick at.
Hardy har....

If anyone has comments on travel/geo I'd would appreciate it, otherwise I'll delete this thread.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had a similar experience on a longer travel 29 (not an SB95). Gobbled everything moab could throw at me but in the end just felt like I was riding a tank and missing some of the handling characteristics of a smaller wheel. I'm 5'8" and do think there is something to be said of rider height as it relates to appropriate travel, wheel size, geo, etc TAKEN TOGETHER! Folks who want a Yeti (now), myself included, are in a very interesting situation especially with some 66s still floating around at a killer deal. My take is the new 6c will be what some 66 owners did to the stock builds to build them bigger (fox 36, etc.) while the sb5 is going to (going on a limb here) replace what others did to the 66 to keep them light and trail-oriented. I'd be interested to hear more about the demo on the 5...

·
Warrior of Weekends
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a similar experience on a longer travel 29 (not an SB95). Gobbled everything moab could throw at me but in the end just felt like I was riding a tank and missing some of the handling characteristics of a smaller wheel. I'm 5'8" and do think there is something to be said of rider height as it relates to appropriate travel, wheel size, geo, etc TAKEN TOGETHER! Folks who want a Yeti (now), myself included, are in a very interesting situation especially with some 66s still floating around at a killer deal. My take is the new 6c will be what some 66 owners did to the stock builds to build them bigger (fox 36, etc.) while the sb5 is going to (going on a limb here) replace what others did to the 66 to keep them light and trail-oriented. I'd be interested to hear more about the demo on the 5...
Really interesting insight regarding the two different SB66 builds.

Any specific questions about the demo? I rode the SB5c for about an hour and didn't want to give it back...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ya I can't take credit for the insight as it was pointed out to me like that from someone else but I agree with it. How would you compare the sb5 to the 66 (assuming you've rode one). My predicament is I can get a carbon 66 now at $4k.

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
There's a really good discussion of exactly this topic in this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/yeti-sb5c-switch-infinity-922454.html

Start around post #200, and read down from there.

(TL;DR Summary: for most people, the SB5 will be the best all-around bike. If you're looking for a purebred enduro racer with super low/slack geo, the SB6 would be the weapon of choice)

JP

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's a really good discussion of exactly this topic in this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/yeti-sb5c-switch-infinity-922454.html

Start around post #200, and read down from there.

(TL;DR Summary: for most people, the SB5 will be the best all-around bike. If you're looking for a purebred enduro racer with super low/slack geo, the SB6 would be the weapon of choice)

JP
Thanks, JP.

I will be looking into the SB5C. After watching a lot of Enduro videos and Reading JP comments, it seems the SB6C is more a mini downhill bike. Where I live, Climbing is more important. A lot of punchy climbs, even the singletracks fast flowing requires a lot of pedaling input because of rocks and roots. Our Downhills are fast but short.

It would nice if they can stock the SB5C with a 150mm fork instead of 140mm.

Thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'd wait to see the leverage curve of the SB6C. My guess is that the SB6C will be more progressive than the SB5C and be designed to plow through rougher tracks while staying more composed - as opposed to skip over the terrain, but feel nervous/skittish when really pushed.

If so, then it really should depend on which feel you'd prefer for your local trails.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tough to draw any conclusions on a bike that hardly anyone has had a chance to ride yet.

That said, I used to own an SB-66c set up as more of a burly all-mountain bike: Fox 36, carbon haven wheels, 1x transmission, dropper post, and wide bar. That bike was insanely fun, both uphill and down. However, I jumped on the 650B bandwagon, and got a Santa Cruz Bronson.

Just looking at the numbers, the bike should be a slightly more modern version of the SB-66: a bit slacker HT, steeper ST, and longer reach. But its pretty close. I'm seriously considering the SB6c or a new Nomad as my next bike, mainly because I'm on a L Bronson now that seems way too compact. I'd like something a bit longer and more stable.

I've ridden a few similar 6" travel bikes lately, and these bikes seem to have come into their own right now. If the SB6c isn't a damn good bike, it will face some stiff competition from bikes like the Nomad, Enduro, Kona Process, and Norco Range. There are just a ton of good bikes in that genre that pedal well but rip on descents.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like a lot of people, I'm sitting between two chairs!!! SB5C or SB6C?
I now own a SB66a, which I love but, want to go for 27.5 and carbon.

For home trails for sure the 5c is better but I often go to the Alps(Morzine,les Gets...)for enduro riding and in La Bresse for some courses of enduro riding with Rémy Absalon.
Where the 6c will be more approprieted.
A lot of you goes for the 5c with a 150mm 36, but want about a 6c with a 150mm 36 for home trails that I push to 160-170mm when going to the Alps??? (what's easy to do whit the new 36).
JP, is the 6c rideable a 150mm 36? (lower bb height) Will it help to climb better?

Ho,and sorry for that, can't buy both... ;-((

Thanks

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
I've never tried it, but I assume a 6c with a 150 would feel pretty damn similar to a 6c with a 160 (I think the HA would change by 0.5 degrees and the BB would lower by a few mm).

I can say that I rode the 5c pretty thoroughly through the Alps last summer, and it was an incredibly capable machine for the job. It's climbing capabilities are already well-documented here, and it was everything I needed on 99% of the descending I did.

I think you'd probably be happier in the long run with a 5c, but I understand that the 6c is pretty damn tempting from a pure passion point of view...
JP

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got the 6c and it honestly climbs better than my Santa Cruz Blur LT does. I don't think you're giving up all that much efficiency between the 6c and 5c. If you aren't doing big, rough stuff all that often, the 5c is probably more appropriate and you'll work a little less, but I don't think you'll regret either. I'm in So Cal and most of my trails are probably better served on a 5c, but I don't regret my decision one bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ended up going with the SB5c X01 build. I test rode both, sadly just around the JensonUSA parking lot and street only, but the SB5c fit me better than the SB6c, I'm 6'1. Now in all fairness I'm coming off of a Stumpy hard tail and wanted to make my next bike the only bike I would need for a long while. I fully planned on taking the SB6c home, but on the day the SB5c cried out my name, and I fell in love instantly. So far I haven't found any limitations with the 5" travel and I hope that doesn't change anytime soon. I highly recommend installing a stealth dropper post. Obviously this is my first long travel bike, so I'm not a good judge of what a bike should ride like compared to others in similar travel. But I must say, this bike is amazing. I think it climbs as well, if not better than my old hard tail. I have such confidence on the trail, both up hill and down hill.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I ended up going with the SB5c X01 build. I test rode both, sadly just around the JensonUSA parking lot and street only, but the SB5c fit me better than the SB6c, I'm 6'1. Now in all fairness I'm coming off of a Stumpy hard tail and wanted to make my next bike the only bike I would need for a long while. I fully planned on taking the SB6c home, but on the day the SB5c cried out my name, and I fell in love instantly. So far I haven't found any limitations with the 5" travel and I hope that doesn't change anytime soon. I highly recommend installing a stealth dropper post. Obviously this is my first long travel bike, so I'm not a good judge of what a bike should ride like compared to others in similar travel. But I must say, this bike is amazing. I think it climbs as well, if not better than my old hard tail. I have such confidence on the trail, both up hill and down hill.
Ben,

This is Josh, the guy that pulled up to ask you about the a Yeti when you were about to hit the Backbone at Will Rodgers. How did the ride go? That is a pretty steep climb there for a while. Are you on a Large?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ben,

This is Josh, the guy that pulled up to ask you about the a Yeti when you were about to hit the Backbone at Will Rodgers. How did the ride go? That is a pretty steep climb there for a while. Are you on a Large?
Josh,

Ride went great! This thing climbs like a freaking champ! It was a great ride, nice little 21 miles round trip. Yes, I'm on a large.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just my 2cents, but if the 6c climbs so well, why not take the slight weight and climbing disadvantage of the 6c vs the 5c, to get the better descender? I ride a SB95c with 150 Pike and absolutely love my bike, but I would like a little more travel in the rear. A 29" wheel is going to "make up" for less travel, but the 27" (cuz its not really 27.5") doesn't have that same effect really. Sure most 5" bikes can be ridden by a good rider on pretty much any trail, but generally speaking, its faster and more controlled in the rough with a bike that has more travel. I guess I just dont get the bike shops and bike makers who push smaller bikes and say "you don't really need 150mm of travel on these trails." Sure, take it a step further, you don't really need anything but a SS full rigid to ride most trails, but what is the most fast (fast=fun to me) way to ride down that gnar? In a perfect world, if I had tons of money, I'd have a 120mm bike and a 160mm bike, but with only one bike, I want the bike that is least limited on the DH. If I was to have my SB95c stolen, I'd be going for the SB6c all day long.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Different strokes... I would give up an inch to gain a bit more in uphill pedaling. Most of my rides are between 3k-4k of climbing so giving up just a little means a lot.

I havent ridden the SB6 but Im weary of what some people consider a great climber. I myself am not a great climber. I rode the Pivot Mach 6, which is supposed to be a great climber, and was just zapped on my regular rides.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts