Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1019 Posts

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
Is this the only model being released ? JP?
Yes, we will never release another model again...:cornut:

Seriously though, I can't get into any details, but if you were a company in our position, do you think you'd pour 3 or 4 years into developing this new technology and only release it on a single model?

Stay tuned in the coming months, guys.

JP

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
P.S. Tons more info at Yeticycles.com and just about every mountain bike media outlet known to man...

JP

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Thanks Jp for the quick response! I figured since the video with "Stretch" mentions it's good across all platforms....

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Yeticycles.com does not appear to mention the wheel size - at least not that I could find. I assume that it is a 650b?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Very cool but two things: the most anticipated bike was a 150MM rear travel 650b, and the "updated" switch is sleek but from watching the video, the movement of the suspension/rear triangle is very similar to the original switch, with the exception that it is a Yeti patent and not a Soto's.

That said, I still love my 95c and would definitely consider this technology when the time comes get another bike, but I don't see that happening soon because the 95c is killer!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Any news on the frame price? Boy those look MIGHTY expensive.
Lots of people said Yeti will own the new patent and won't pay royalty driving the price down but ... Yeah ... How much will a frame set cost?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, 650B.
Does the lack of a wheel size designation after the "SB" suggest that Switch Infinity bikes will be 650b/27.5" wheels only? Or perhaps each Switch Infinity bike with a specific amount of travel will only have one primary wheel size, e.g. an SB4 would only be offered as 29er, the SB5 a 650b, the SB6 a blah blah, etc.? Or perhaps I'm looking waaaay too much into the name here...

·
Registered
132 Posts
How has the experience been with the exposed lower pivots? The demo video shows the suspension cycling through the two small stanchions, for lack of a better, word. It seems based on where they're positioned low in the bike and totally exposed that they will just get completely mucked up??

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
It seems based on where they're positioned low in the bike and totally exposed that they will just get completely mucked up??
yeah what he said....

East coast rider here and those sliders look like sitting ducks for some red clay and sand to me. But I could be wrong. They are kind of tucked in there. I notice the maintanance states that you don't want to "over lubricate" the sliders. Nice to see the grease zerks on there too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow really impressive, looks nice and like the technology.. very clever stuff.

Like others who live in wet climes the elephant in the room is clearly the maintenance, reliability, cleaning. I'd guess on 10% of my rides that entire link void would completely fill with mud. Looking at it I think I spy some grease ports?[edit: ahh yes they are]

Wonder if the bushings are standard fox bushes or some special size..

I understand the desire to show off the link and the open design helps with drainage but I'm surprised there aren't optional removable cover plates. Clearly not considered as there is no seal lip in the frame around the link. Looks too complex and tight in there to use neoprene successfully. Though a neoprene cover right round the frame could possibly work?.

Still I'm sorely tempted but realistically I'll wait for a 66 replacement and what the reliability and warranty is on that link.

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
How has the experience been with the exposed lower pivots? The demo video shows the suspension cycling through the two small stanchions, for lack of a better, word. It seems based on where they're positioned low in the bike and totally exposed that they will just get completely mucked up??
yeah what he said....

East coast rider here and those sliders look like sitting ducks for some red clay and sand to me. But I could be wrong. They are kind of tucked in there. I notice the maintanance states that you don't want to "over lubricate" the sliders. Nice to see the grease zerks on there too.
Wow really impressive, looks nice and like the technology.. very clever stuff.

Like others who live in wet climes the elephant in the room is clearly the maintenance, reliability, cleaning. I'd guess on 10% of my rides that entire link void would completely fill with mud. Looking at it I think I spy some grease ports?[edit: ahh yes they are]

Wonder if the bushings are standard fox bushes or some special size..

I understand the desire to show off the link and the open design helps with drainage but I'm surprised there aren't optional removable cover plates. Clearly not considered as there is no seal lip in the frame around the link. Looks too complex and tight in there to use neoprene successfully. Though a neoprene cover right round the frame could possibly work?.

Still I'm sorely tempted but realistically I'll wait for a 66 replacement and what the reliability and warranty is on that link.
Hey guys-
Valid concerns. A couple things to consider: first, what you essentially have are FOX shock seals and stanchions. How often do you replace your shock seals? Once every year or two (at most) for me, and usually a lot less frequently than that.

Second, our test mules ran 3 years with much more rudimentary hardware and seals, and there were literally zero failures with the mechanism.

Third, FOX did some ridiculous testing on this, including one experiment in which they actually submerged it in the grittiest mud we could find and cycled it something like a million (!) times. No failures.

Finally, we experimented with several different shrouds and sealing mechanisms, and unless we added a ton of weight by incorporating some elllaborate labyrinth seal system, we came away with the impression that it's better to just leave that area open and let debris move through, rather than potentially trap it inside and have a little pebble rattling around in there and driving you nuts.

In the end, I think you'll all be happy with the durability of Swith Infinity.

JP

·
Norðwegr
1,909 Posts
I was literally on the Yeti site yesterday looking at the SB75, this is perfect timing! :D
Unfortunately it doesn't seem I have any dealers nearby so maybe I can sort something out during the offseason or while my clavicle heals up

Here's a review: Yeti SB5c - Review - Pinkbike

·
Registered
376 Posts
John,
why the long chainstays (442mm) for a low travel trail bike? Or is this a tribute to the Switch Infinity system which needs a lot of room?

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
John,
why the long chainstays (442mm) for a low travel trail bike? Or is this a tribute to the Switch Infinity system which needs a lot of room?
We messed around with some super short stays and some a bit longer, but in the end, we felt like 442 gave us the feel we were going for. Remember: this is a bit lower and slacker than most other bikes in the category, and it's meant to be ridden fast.

John, if you went with 26er wheels you could bring that chainstay length in. ;)
Dammit... why didn't we think of that?!?? :)

1 - 20 of 1019 Posts