Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built up a Yeti SB5 for my youngest daughter. The idea was to build a more XC-oriented bike to begin with, and as she becomes more comfortable on gnarlier trails, to switch to beefier tyres.

For various reasons, I wanted a 27.5” bike, and I was able to get a good deal on a NOS 2018 SB5 in size S.

2628g was not a good place to start. I had initially hoped to build it to sub-23lbs, but in the end the final weight was 23.3lbs or 10.56kg.

I’ll post some photos of the part weights below. I wasn’t able to weigh each and every part, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I reused the Fox 34 from my ‘17 SB5.

Swapped out the stock QR with a Carbon-Ti axle

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The theme was lime green. I would not have otherwise chosen to use a CK headset, given how heavy they appear to be compared to other available choices.

I swapped out the top cap for a Carbon Ti one.

It saved just a tiny amount of weight. The green bolt against the Ti top cap looked great though.

Elsewhere on the frame, I changed the stock rear QR axle for a Hardlite one

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Raceface Next SL G5

I swapped out the bolts for lime green ones (not pictured). Because matchy matchy.

The chainring is a 30T RF

It’s not Hyperdrive+ compatible. To make it work on a Shimano 12sp chain, I used a SRAM Eagle Masterlink. This must be the first SRAM part I’ve used in over 20 years.

Since then, I found out that Garbaruk makes chainrings in green. Their 30T oval will be used if the RF ring turns out to be problematic.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These KCNC Pedal Pedia pedals are massively underrated. Maybe they should come up with a better name.

Weight is really good for steel spindles. Platform is huge, and the profile is really slim, which I like. 16 pins per pedal, which means that it is super grippy. I wasn’t able to find the Ti-spindled ones being sold anywhere.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I decided to use the XTR 10-45T rear cassette. I was hoping that this would save some weight over the 10-51T cassette. As it turned out the weight savings were negligible. Using the 45T cassette did however allow me to use the medium cage derailleur.

In retrospect I should have just used the larger cassette and the long cage derailleur for a greater gearing range and greater cross-compatibility between wheel sets.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wheels: front 24h and rear 28h Carbon Ti microspline hubs. LB flyweight rims with 22mm internal width. Sapim Super CX spokes. 1114g total, without rim tape.

Front is built cross two, rear cross three.

Someday I’ll venture out of my comfort zone and attempt to build using straight pull spokes.

The rims were slightly heavier than ones I’ve purchased in the past, but that’s ok because it should make for a sturdier rim. A previous pair came in at 265-267g each.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My LBS suggested the 9point8 Fall Line R dropper post. This one is 30.9mm x 125mm, no setback.

This doesn’t include the weight of the QR mechanism that attaches to the bottom.

Claimed weight is 376g post only. Maybe that is dry weight.

Still, not too shabby. It claims to be the lightest dropper post. I have no basis to disagree.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some miscellaneous parts.

This is an Absolute Black silicone grip. When installed, the diameter is HUGE. Not what I was expecting. I couldn’t get the (very nice) bar plugs to fit, so I used some Wolf Tooth plastic plugs instead. The aluminium ones here weigh 6g.

I saw this Trickstuff post mount adapter on another build here. Just had to get it. Looks really, er, trick.

The rest of the parts are just par for the course as far as this board is concerned, so I won’t post them here.

XTR twin piston brakes, Yeti 740mm bar, Newmen 50mm stem, and an older Ergon SME3 Pro Carbon saddle.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Under 24lbs for a modern full suspension trail bike is pretty good man. How is the engagement on those hubs? Where do you live? it looks beautiful man.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts