Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Yeti SB5 - Any common problems?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  norbyd 
#1 ·
Dear Yeti Tribe,

I'm curious if there are any reoccurring issues with the SB5 (any year).

The reason I'm asking is that's it's on my list of choices of bikes to consider as my next one. The other one that I am considering is the new Ibis Ripley. I currently ride a V1 Ripley. A lot of people gripe ( including me!) about the creaking issue, although it all boils down to maintenance. What about the SB5?

The past few years I've demo'd at least 10 bikes and am most impressed with the Ripley and the SB5. I like how the SB5 maneuvers and does a great job climbing.

Another concern, is company support. I've heard a bunch of complaints here which makes me a bit weary, whereas, Ibis has great support. I been to the HQ and they seem like a great crew. Whenever I have a concern, I shoot them an email, and get a reply the day of, if not the next - like clockwork. So Ibis' service is impeccable, what about Yeti overall?

Btw, I'm considering buying used to save a little $$$. Which year model is best?

Thanks amigos! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Those bikes are pretty different. I have an SB5 second gen and love it. I’ve had zero issues with it. It’s a 2017. I’m not sure whether or not there were changes to the latest model year or not. I run it with 2.6 tires anywhere am really liking it that way. If I was going to buy today, I’d consider an SB130 first, just saying.

#3 ·
Those bikes are pretty different. I have an SB5 second gen and love it. I've had zero issues with it. It's a 2017. I'm not sure whether or not there were changes to the latest model year or not. I run it with 2.6 tires anywhere am really liking it that way. If I was going to buy today, I'd consider an SB130 first, just saying.
I have a 2019 SB5 with no issues though I have too many bikes and I'm trying to consolidate and the 130 was an option to kill two birds with one stone. The 130 is a fantastically comfortable climber but going down, the SB5 is soooooooo much more fun, poppy, precise and even plush/forgiving, etc...I know this is the Yeti board and I'll get flamed but I wasn't impressed with the 130's rear end action going down thru rougher terrain. I demo'd the Ripmo yesterday and aside from the 130's seating position while climbing, I preferred the Ripmo in every other facet.

#4 ·
I demo'd a 130 recently and thought it was a tank on the climbs. However, I'm coming from a 25LB Ripley. 5Lbs isn't much, but it is on a bike!

I thought the SB5 was really nice though - a do all bike. Climbs well and super fun on descents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.