Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2341 - 2360 of 2388 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Super pleased with my new (to me!!) 4.5c.. first modern full susser I've owned. My build so far:

Yeti Sb4.5 Carbon (2018 XL frame)
1x11 Speed
11-46 rear (XT cassette )
Race Face chain ring ( 32 teeth )
Shimano XTR Shfters
Shimano XTR brakes
Shimano XTR rear derailleur
Rockshox Pike 130mm Front Fork
Rockshox Reverb stealth dropper (150mm drop)
Renthal Fatbar handlebar
Renthal Apex Stem
Race face grips / pedals (flat)
Shimano XT chain
DT Swiss 1900 wheels on DT hubs
Vittoria Barzo tires (tubeless)
Fabric scoop saddle

... Get used to it then see what I can do to take some weight away without sacrificing strength.

Loving it so far, though, for my XC / low level trails use!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Super pleased with my new (to me!!) 4.5c.. first modern full susser I've owned. My build so far:

Yeti Sb4.5 Carbon (2018 XL frame)
1x11 Speed
11-46 rear (XT cassette )
Race Face chain ring ( 32 teeth )
Shimano XTR Shfters
Shimano XTR brakes
Shimano XTR rear derailleur
Rockshox Pike 130mm Front Fork
Rockshox Reverb stealth dropper (150mm drop)
Renthal Fatbar handlebar
Renthal Apex Stem
Race face grips / pedals (flat)
Shimano XT chain
DT Swiss 1900 wheels on DT hubs
Vittoria Barzo tires (tubeless)
Fabric scoop saddle

... Get used to it then see what I can do to take some weight away without sacrificing strength.

Loving it so far, though, for my XC / low level trails use!
Just fyi....140mm front was stock travel..

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
While we’re at it, has anyone tried a Cane Creek Double Barrel Air on their 4.5? Wonder how the fit is, and would it be better or worse than a Debonaire?
I've got a CC Double Barrel Air on my 4.5. The fit is fine. I have no experience with the Debonair but I can tell you it is better than the stock Fox that came with it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just picked up a used 2018 sb4.5 and want to replace the SRAM brakes that came on it. Does the 2018 model year have internal guide tubes for routing the brake and shifter housing? I know the 2016 did not but I thought that was a update on later years. Can anyone confirm yes or no? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2018 has internally routed lines..... Beyond that, not sure I can help!! If you have existing lines you're replacing, though, you can always use them as a guide

·
Registered
449 Posts
My 2018 has internally routed lines..... Beyond that, not sure I can help!! If you have existing lines you're replacing, though, you can always use them as a guide
When you say you have internally routed lines are you saying that the hoses go through the frame. All years of the SB 4.5 have that. I'm wondering if I can just pull the existing housing and then just thread the new housing in and it automatically comes out where it needs to be. There's no point in messing around with using the old housing as a guide if I don't need it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I’m pretty sure all years of 4.5 did not have the guided internal cabling that the newer models have. The marketing spin was to save frame weight.

I strongly suggest using a foam insert to eliminate any cable rattling. There are a few options available online...I think Jagwire now even has their own branded version.

Definitely use the old housing to help pull through the new housing. Not sure why you wouldn’t do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I’m pretty sure all years of 4.5 did not have the guided internal cabling that the newer models have. The marketing spin was to save frame weight.

I strongly suggest using a foam insert to eliminate any cable rattling. There are a few options available online...I think Jagwire now even has their own branded version.

Definitely use the old housing to help pull through the new housing. Not sure why you wouldn’t do that.

Your correct no sb45c frames have internal cable guides.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gentlemen.. need your guidance for my 45c xt/slx

What would be the top 3 or 4 upgrades to my 2018 4.5 c xt/slx with all the new hardware upgrades available.

Current upgrade:
Yeti carbon 780mm handlebar

I live in the Northern VA area and crossing my finger a few of you in the "Know" can direct me to the top mods you all have proved to make this amazingly capable bike better.

I'm 49 yrs young, USMC Vet and still shredding the trails. Working my way towards an epic 3-4 day 45+ mile bike packing along the Blue Ridge/Appalachian mountains to celebrate my 50th this summer. Still working on identifying the right trail system but that's the idea.

I was considering the following:
Factory DPX2 rear Shock
Factory Grip2 forks
XX1 Eagle
DHF Minion 2.4 front
DHR 2.2 rear
brakes
I've seen these micro size chain guards as well

There was also a thread that talked about increasing the HTA by 1 degree, not sure if this is similar to spacers on cars but not a big fan of
"Frankenstiening" the bike if it compromises its rigidity/integrity. Theoretically, I can see this improving geometry of ride.

I humbly appreciate your feedback as it will greatly influence my decisions on upgrades.

Oscar Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
What would be the top 3 or 4 upgrades to my 2018 4.5 c xt/slx with all the new hardware upgrades available.

There was also a thread that talked about increasing the HTA by 1 degree, not sure if this is similar to spacers on cars but not a big fan of
"Frankenstiening" the bike if it compromises its rigidity/integrity. Theoretically, I can see this improving geometry of ride....
When I had the 4.5 C easily the best and cheapest upgrade was Works Components -1 headet.

Bottom bracket lowering did not matter almost at all but having a little slacker head angle was really nice modernization for the bike

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts

Current upgrade:
Yeti carbon 780mm handlebar

I live in the Northern VA area and crossing my finger a few of you in the "Know" can direct me to the top mods you all have proved to make this amazingly capable bike better.

I'm 49 yrs young, USMC Vet and still shredding the trails. Working my way towards an epic 3-4 day 45+ mile bike packing along the Blue Ridge/Appalachian mountains to celebrate my 50th this summer. Still working on identifying the right trail system but that's the idea.

I was considering the following:
Factory DPX2 rear Shock
Factory Grip2 forks
XX1 Eagle
DHF Minion 2.4 front
DHR 2.2 rear
brakes
I've seen these micro size chain guards as well

"Frankenstiening" the bike if it compromises its rigidity/integrity. Theoretically, I can see this improving geometry of ride.

I humbly appreciate your feedback as it will greatly influence my decisions on upgrades.

Oscar Mike
Wheels and tires are a huge upgrade on this bike considering how undertired the stock spec is.

I ran 27mm (internal) carbon Nobl wheels and a DHR 2.4 and Aggressor 2.3 in the back and it really unlocks the potential of the 4.5.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Agreed wheels and tires based on your terrain/riding style. Whether you lean towards Lightweight XC or full on trail. Tire clearance in the rear has always been scrutinized.

DPX2 assuming you have a large or XL frame. Not sure it will fit in the medium frame or not.

Theoretically, and assuming you have a fox 34, you might be able to update the damper to grip2 for about $3-400, not sure I would say that is mandatory or big improvement.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Agreed wheels and tires based on your terrain/riding style. Whether you lean towards Lightweight XC or full on trail. Tire clearance in the rear has always been scrutinized.

DPX2 assuming you have a large or XL frame. Not sure it will fit in the medium frame or not.

Theoretically, and assuming you have a fox 34, you might be able to update the damper to grip2 for about $3-400, not sure I would say that is mandatory or big improvement.

Dpx fits in Medium frame, I’ve been running one for one month now and it’s a big improvement over the stock dps... now I’m thinking about upgrading someway my fork either with an evol chamber or directly with a 36grio2 reduced to 140mm

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I had the 4.5 C easily the best and cheapest upgrade was Works Components -1 headet.

Bottom bracket lowering did not matter almost at all but having a little slacker head angle was really nice modernization for the bike

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
Good to hear that, I feel this will be included on the short list for sure.
Thanks Xizor1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wheels and tires are a huge upgrade on this bike considering how undertired the stock spec is.

I ran 27mm (internal) carbon Nobl wheels and a DHR 2.4 and Aggressor 2.3 in the back and it really unlocks the potential of the 4.5.
Interesting, I hear the aggressors are faster rolling, is that the case there vs grip?

·
Registered
15 Posts

@ Junior, Yeah I have a large and prefer shredding up hills and technical switch backs to straight down hill and jumps. I do think the eye to eye on rear is 7.5 x 2.0 empirical.
Heh agreed with the DPX2 but recently am checking out Monarch Plus RC3, looks like for the $$ it looks good, now to unearth which is best for my style.
I do have the 34s & from what I gather it would be equivalent to buying the new grip2s?
Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
[/QUOTE] Originally posted by Ban, .. now I’m thinking about upgrading someway my fork either with an evol chamber or directly with a 36grio2 reduced to 140mm[/QUOTE]

Excuse my ignorance, but what would the benefits be from buying the 150mm 36 Grip2s and reducing them to 140mm?

·
Registered
887 Posts
@ Junior, Yeah I have a large and prefer shredding up hills and technical switch backs to straight down hill and jumps. I do think the eye to eye on rear is 7.5 x 2.0 empirical.
Heh agreed with the DPX2 but recently am checking out Monarch Plus RC3, looks like for the $$ it looks good, now to unearth which is best for my style.
I do have the 34s & from what I gather it would be equivalent to buying the new grip2s?
Thanks!
For sure....anything but the stock shock will be an improvement. Unless you only do XC. My OCD forces me to have matching shock/fork brand.

2341 - 2360 of 2388 Posts