Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1228 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sounds like a good solution for 2nd hand buyers but I’d never void a lifetime warranty.
By the way, does anyone know if a repaint would do the same? I’d really like to try something...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
Pretty sure repainting would. Email [email protected]

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
A phone call to Yeti was all the "proof" I needed.
Warranty is not voided unless the linkage itself is proven to be the cause of any damage/issue.
Sweet thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
Pretty sure repainting would. Email [email protected]

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I asked them and they said repainting was fine, unless the process itself would damage the frame in any way. That was good to know.
The answer about the Cascade link wasn’t as clear, but could’ve been worse:
Our engineers have not been able to review the drawings for the Cascade Link. So in the event that some damage came to the frame from the use of the Cascade Link then the warranty would become void.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A phone call to Yeti was all the "proof" I needed.
Warranty is not voided unless the linkage itself is proven to be the cause of any damage/issue.
The response I received was contrary to yours. I was told via email (one should always get confirmations in writing, as spoken word has but the memory of wind) that “Unfortunately Yeti does not support the Cascade Link, and using one would void the warranty.”

So, yeah, great linkage for a second hand frame, but probably not a smart install for the OG owner.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The response I received was contrary to yours. I was told via email (one should always get confirmations in writing, as spoken word has but the memory of wind) that “Unfortunately Yeti does not support the Cascade Link, and using one would void the warranty.”

So, yeah, great linkage for a second hand frame, but probably not a smart install for the OG owner.
Could you provide the name of the person that gave that response?
I spoke with Travis Kincaid and Jon Jakupca at Yeti. They both assured me that using the Cascade link does not void the Yeti warranty. Only if the linkage specifically is the cause of any damage/issue will the warranty be in question.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Did you read the answer I received above? It sounds friendly and positive but I’m sure they could use that, if they wanted, to tell you the damage originated in the use of the alternative link. Hard to tell.
They sound proud and confident about their warranty though.
I regularly use my bikes for at least a decade, so „lifetime“ means something to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are a good number of federal regulations surrounding warranties. This FTC page does a good job of explaining them in layman's terms https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law#advertising. "Tie-in-sales" is the bit that would apply to usage of aftermarket parts of any sort. What is stated on that essentially aligns with what a number of you have heard back from Yeti, which is reassuring.
Generally, tie-in sales provisions aren’t allowed. These are provisions that state or imply that a consumer must buy or use an item or service from a particular company to keep their warranty coverage.
In addition, it is permissible to disclaim warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by the use of parts or service you didn’t provide.
The part where it gets hazy is burden of proof. Supposedly that lies on the party that is providing the warranty. In practice that isn't always the case unfortunately. So, while using a link might not affect your warranty in theory, be aware that it can be difficult to convince manufacturers that damage was due to a manufacturing defect unless it's painfully obvious.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What does this do? I can't seem to find it on their site, or anywhere else for that matter.
Hey man, you may have found out what they are for now, but

They are to meant to be installed on the derailleur cable port, where the cable comes out near the bottom bracket and where the cable goes into the rear triangle.

it will prevent the cable from sawing through the frame. I was a bit too late when it comes to installing this update.....

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey man, you may have found out what they are for now, but

They are to meant to be installed on the derailleur cable port, where the cable comes out near the bottom bracket and where the cable goes into the rear triangle.

it will prevent the cable from sawing through the frame. I was a bit too late when it comes to installing this update.....
Did yeti do anything for you on this one?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I emailed the photo to yeti and they said dispite the fact that the damage looks terrible, it does not affect the structural integrity of the frame at all. They then said that they are running a alloy insert add on and would gladly send one to a registered dealer

I contacted one of my local bike shops (in Edmonton) and their rep said "you have to use a 4mm derailluer housing"... which was kind of confusing because Ive been using the standard shimano housing that came with my shifter. They never got back to me, nor replied to my follow ups.

I then contacted a local bike shop in Calgary, sent them an email and they gladly shipped it over, the part costing nothing. I think there is a shipping charge, but they shipped it for free because it sat on their shelf due to an inventory error.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Any shock setting recommendations for using the cascade link?
What are you using? I have an X2. I took out a volume spacers and maybe added 10 psi to the air can. Otherwise I’ve left it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,316 Posts
How close are people finding the suspension settings from the yeti website ?
Are you generally finding them to hard/soft fast /slow ect
I've sped up the lsr and hsr about 7 clicks from recommended(open). I feel that those that say the sb150 for example is not a playful bike haven't tried speeding up their rebound. I'm also running about 10-15 psi higher in my X2 than recommended. Their recommendations are a really good starting point...probably better than any other brand. Personal feel is always a huge factor!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have already increased pressure and added another spacer to the x2 which feels better .
Speeding it up 7 clicks more than recomended is a lot .
Are you running a 21 x2 ?

1201 - 1220 of 1228 Posts