Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What we know

- will be announced on July 29th
- 145mm of rear travel
- 160mm Fork
- HA 65

What we guess

- Could increase the 145mm DPX2 to 152mm

A 160/150 27.5 could be used anywhere between trail and enduro ... so that should please all the 650b lovers out there ;)

For me it looks like THIS is the new SB6!

Who’s thinking about getting one?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The SB145 will be like a golf gti manual vs the popular golf gti DSG (atleast in EU markets). The DSG is the best car, best value, best performance, most comfortable commute, but some will miss that little extra involvement and feedback. The SB145 will be much like the SB5v2 in the previous SB5.5 / SB4.5 era: Outsold 20:1 to the excellent 29ers, a bit more niche, and a bit more misunderstood.

Granted, if you should be on a bigger than small size, but not quite medium, a medium 29er is a bulky unsatisfying steam-truck ride.

I like my small 27.5 SB6 a lot, and it has made me a much better rider. 5 years after the first launch, here is the most important things I would improve:
  1. 20mm more total reach (I am currently on a 55mm)
  2. a straighter toptube so I can lower my bars 10-15mm (low seat!) and clear the toptube when the bar swivels around
  3. a water bottle out of the muck and debris
  4. a slightly more progressive leverage curve, to be more welcoming to a DHX2 when required
  5. maybe some internal cable guide
I guess a mullet SB145, with a 140/150mm fork, is probably the closest I will get to a 29er.

Based on the newschool geo of the 130/150/165, and a comparison with the old SB6/SB5LR, here is my guess on geo numbers (in mm) for a SB145 medium:
Travel: 160/145
Fork Offset = 37.5
Reach = 460
Stack = 608
TT (effective) = 596
Seat Tube C-T = 410
Head Angle = 65.5
Seat Angle = 77
Head Tube = 110
Chainstay = 433
Wheelbase = 1215
Front Centre = 787
Standover = 715
BB Height = 340

Thank you Yeti for making a SB145, eventhough we know 90% of people will buy the big bikes. Hopefully the frame is not $4000, more like $2999 :mad:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Likely the best 27.5 yeti has made to this date, frame is probably gonna cost $3k5. I can't think of why you would need anything else for trail/enduro races unless you are Richie Rude. Still would opt for the SB130 as a trail bike, but the SB145 paired with a XC 29er like SB100 / Mach 4SL would be a great two bike quiver!

·
Registered
96 Posts
What we know

- will be announced on July 29th
- 145mm of rear travel
- 160mm Fork
- HA 65

What we guess

- Could increase the 145mm DPX2 to 152mm

A 160/150 27.5 could be used anywhere between trail and enduro ... so that should please all the 650b lovers out there ;)

For me it looks like THIS is the new SB6!

Who's thinking about getting one?
Wrong.
Its called the SB140 and it comes with 140mm of frame travel. No LR Version.
2.6 stock tires back and front.

A bit disappointed because I was really hoping for a true SB6 replacement, 152mm of travel and newer geo.

Oh and the price is also increased like the rest of the lineup. Wait till you see the price of the entry level sb150, at least it comes with X2.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wrong.

A bit disappointed because I was really hoping for a true SB6 replacement, 152mm of travel and newer geo.

Oh and the price is also increased like the rest of the lineup. Wait till you see the price of the entry level sb150, at least it comes with X2.
aaaand they are ditching ERGON Grips for ODIs, I love my ERGON grips.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We know how bike manufacturers, and especially their marketing department work by now ... they slap 2 or 3 light(ish) parts on it and they say the bike is for ??? use.

But they don’t fool anyone ;) so if your info about the Rekon is correct (I tend to believe you) and this tire is marketed as an "aggressive trail tire", well ... that’s how they are going to want you to see this new bike.

When the SB6 came out it was advertised as an enduro weapon! And it was and still is a great bike ... but if all the predictions about this new SB145 are true ... you’ll essentially get a refined SB6 with "hopefully" the same travel (pretty sure it will)... so they better sell it as a 27.5 enduro weapon again Hahahaha ...

Whatever they say, it’ll be a 27.5 version of the SB130 ... a do-it-all bike, covering much of your needs and great everywhere :)

Let’s see ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
We know how bike manufacturers, and especially their marketing department work by now ... they slap 2 or 3 light(ish) parts on it and they say the bike is for ??? use.

But they don't fool anyone ;) so if your info about the Rekon is correct (I tend to believe you) and this tire is marketed as an "aggressive trail tire", well ... that's how they are going to want you to see this new bike.

When the SB6 came out it was advertised as an enduro weapon! And it was and still is a great bike ... but if all the predictions about this new SB145 are true ... you'll essentially get a refined SB6 with "hopefully" the same travel (pretty sure it will)... so they better sell it as a 27.5 enduro weapon again Hahahaha ...

Whatever they say, it'll be a 27.5 version of the SB130 ... a do-it-all bike, covering much of your needs and great everywhere :)

Let's see ...
Sad thing is I was hoping for a SBXXX to be the replacement of the SB6, but there is not a true replacement. The frame travel is only 140mm, SB140.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wrong.

Damn ... just saw your message! Will have to change the title of this post. LOL!

If the metric shock they used is 210x50 or 210x52.5 there is still some hope to increase the travel a bit ... we'll see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Damn ... just saw your message! Will have to change the title of this post. LOL!

If the metric shock they used is 210x50 or 210x52.5 there is still some hope to increase the travel a bit ... we'll see.
haha.

And yes there is always that chance of modifying the shock a bit but still, I feel like this bike will do for 90% of my rides but will make some sections of the trail a bit rough unlike the sb6 and for the other 10% of the trails I'll be bottoming out and/or having a harsh ride.
The Bronson is starting to look like a nice option for me.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's not a direct replacement for the SB6 then they shoot themselves in the foot :(

To be honest with you the whole SB100/SB130/SB150 range covers everything but still ... some people would like (or prefer) the 27.5"

But who's gonna ride the SB165 ?!? C'mon (not really a huge market for that kind of bike ... if any)

·
Registered
64 Posts
It might be the SB140 with 140mm at launch, but I am sure the bike will be 145-147mm LR eventually. 210mm X 52.5mm at launch, and 210mmx55mm without the spacer. The Bronson has the right geo numbers, and in Industry Blue, not far off in the looks dept (shame about the shock limitations though). ;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
(140/52.5)*55= 146.6mm of travel

The SB6 was 6" so 152.5mm.

So even IF the stroke can be increased, it won't match the SB6 ... boooohhh

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm guessing this will be based on a SB130 with modified linkage and a different shock. Much how I suspect the SB165 is just a modified SB150.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They will definitely increase the progressiveness of the leverage curve on the SB140/145

SB6 = max 5% progressive
SB5v2 = 9%
SB5.5 = 4%
SB100 = 10%
SB130 = 12%
SB150 = 15%
SB165 = 27%
SB140 (estimate) = 13-16%

Blue Text Colorfulness Slope Pattern

With this a 146.6mm SB140 will feel the same as a 152mm SB6. Do more with less suspension, like the SB130 did compared to the SB5.5.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.