Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright let’s call it the SB140 now that we know ;)

Released on July 29th
27"
160/140 (Fox 36 / DPX2)
Available in Turquoise, Orange, Dark Blue

Unlikely to be upgradable to a LR version (no longer stroke for the DPX2) but let’s see. Will probably not replace the SB6.

For the SB6 lovers out there, the best option might be to go with the SB165 frame and get a 230x60 instead of the 230x65 to get 152mm of travel and reduce the fork to 170mm instead of 180mm, that way you keep the SB6 travel front and rear. It will reduce the slack and put you in an ever better pedaling position! Just an idea ... because I know many people wanted a new SB6.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Released on July 29th
27"
160/140 (Fox 36 / DPX2)

Unlikely to be upgradable to a LR version (no longer stroke for the DPX2) but let’s see. Will probably not replace the SB6.

For the SB6 lovers out there, the best option might be to go with the SB165 frame and get a 230x60 instead of the 230x65 to get 152mm of travel and reduce the fork to 170mm instead of 180mm, that way you keep the SB6 travel front and rear. It will reduce the slack and put you in an ever better pedaling position! Just an idea ... because I know many people wanted a new SB6.

The colors are Grey, orange and Turquoise.
2.6 tires front and rear (Rekon,DHF)
Odi Grips
SRAM g2 brakes
Starts at $5399

·
Registered
3,599 Posts

Released on July 29th
27"
160/140 (Fox 36 / DPX2)

Inho this would be a better sb6c replacment . Trends are STA and reach numbers, and increase dropper post, plus updated leverage curve trends. updated, travel numbers dont mean better or worse than previous model. SB100 less travel than sb45c but better, sb130 vs sb55c..etc

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
As a first-time Tribe attender, I’m wondering if Yeti brings their demo fleet to the event ? I’d love to demo this new bike ...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I am definitely interested in this SB140. Many of the new school geometry, mid-travel medium 29ers are a bit much for me and my preference of riding. They can be fun at times, but for the most part they are less engaging on the ride and I am constantly struggle with cornering. Correspondingly the mid-travel 29er in size small are too small. I do like the comfort of the longer geometry without giving up the fun factor and therefore hoping that the smaller wheels provide a good combination for my desires.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Looks like really a nice toy, that could be a proper competitor for the Bronson.
Was checking the sizes, and looks like the seat tube length on M size is 450mm - thats a bit too long, unless its mistake..

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Looks like really a nice toy, that could be a proper competitor for the Bronson.
Was checking the sizes, and looks like the seat tube length on M size is 450mm - thats a bit too long, unless its mistake..
Thats a misprint and Yeti have mistakenly put the geo numbers for the SB130 in its place since the seat tube length is 450mm for Size Large on the SB140....it also lists the Fork offset at 44mm and it's actually 37mm offset. They should update it once they realize they made that simple mistake.

·
Registered
118 Posts
At 5'6" with a 29"-30" inseam, I'm smack dab in the middle of the S and M frame sizes. I had a 2003 ASR-SL in S which felt good at the time. Any ideas on which way to go on this bike?

I'm looking for a replacement for my size M Santa Cruz 5010 v1 and am seriously considering a Bronson v3 (demo'd in M which felt good) but I'm now really interested in the SB140.

I live and ride in the NorCal bay area (Wilder, UC, Demo, JMP, JNT, Chabot, Skeggs, etc.) in case anyone has any thoughts about Bronson vs SB140. I thought my 5010 was great for how and where I ride but recently felt that a little more slack and travel would be nice. My primary, and only bike at the moment, is a 27.5+ hardtail which is fine for most everything I ride and because of that I started to feel that there was too much overlap with the 5010 so that frees me up for a slightly bigger bike for stuff like Downieville, Northstar, etc.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Thats a misprint and Yeti have mistakenly put the geo numbers for the SB130 in its place since the seat tube length is 450mm for Size Large on the SB140....it also lists the Fork offset at 44mm and it's actually 37mm offset. They should update it once they realize they made that simple mistake.

Looks like they've updated the geo... at least on the full site...

https://www.yeticycles.com/bikes/sb140/?guide:spec-geo

·
Registered
66 Posts
At 5'6" with a 29"-30" inseam, I'm smack dab in the middle of the S and M frame sizes. I had a 2003 ASR-SL in S which felt good at the time. Any ideas on which way to go on this bike?

I'm looking for a replacement for my size M Santa Cruz 5010 v1 and am seriously considering a Bronson v3 (demo'd in M which felt good) but I'm now really interested in the SB140.

I live and ride in the NorCal bay area (Wilder, UC, Demo, JMP, JNT, Chabot, Skeggs, etc.) in case anyone has any thoughts about Bronson vs SB140. I thought my 5010 was great for how and where I ride but recently felt that a little more slack and travel would be nice. My primary, and only bike at the moment, is a 27.5+ hardtail which is fine for most everything I ride and because of that I started to feel that there was too much overlap with the 5010 so that frees me up for a slightly bigger bike for stuff like Downieville, Northstar, etc.
If your in the middle. I would always size up if you can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They changed the sizing on the website now, there’s more overlap in the sizes. I’m 5’6 and ride mediums as I found the small to be a bit cramped. The medium 130 feels pretty good with a 32mm stem, if I were to build a 140 it would be a medium.

·
Go ride!
310 Posts
We got to ride the SB140 earlier this month at Yeti's headquarters, here are our thoughts! For those of you in Socal, we're hoping to get a couple demos built soon too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is the larger travel bike I've been waiting for. I think it would be perfect as a mullet bike. I love my SB100, it's efficient, fast, xc/trail machine. I have two wheel sets for it, an XC 1300gram race/endurance, and I9 trail 270 for every day riding. I thought it would be enough to compensate for less travel but it's not. I still need to pick my lines carefully. I find myself missing more travel and having that forgiveness. I had the SB66c for 3 years and that thing was fun jumping and whipping it around. I ran a 27.5" front the last year I owned to keep up with my faster 29er buddies but still able to maintain that playfulness. I then moved to the SB5c which was the sweet spot for me with efficient pedaling but still enough travel. I had that for 3 years as well and the final year I was running 27.5+tire up front, again to help keep speed and smooth the front chatter.

I'm sure the Yeti SB140 specc'ed build is great, but I bet it can "rip" and "race" with a 29er up front. I'm eyeing frame build with likely 29 140/150mm up front. Probably will do a mix of gx/xo for weight/cost savings unless XT1x is out by this fall. If anyone does a similar mullet build please let me know so I can keep tabs on it.

For people in between sizes, I'm 5'7" 150# geared. I strongly recommend sizing up if you're the same height as me. Previously owned 575, ASR-C, SB66c, SB5, SB100.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The entire Rip / Race premise is a joke. Any skilled rider that can pin it rips any bike they ride and they’re so fast that the trail speed is usually race worthy regardless of and SB165 vs SB150 and really comes down to preferred wheel size to adapt to a certain riders body sizing and comfort.

I myself am just a slightly above average rider so I tend to chose 29” wheels just to help compensate for my skill level and as I improve as a rider I gain more confidence.

I can guarantee you that Rude would win any race regardless of wheel size just because he’s so damn good so enjoy these new choices in the Yeti lineup and get out and shred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 157 Posts