Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

221 - 240 of 3319 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I rode a sb150 this past weekend and will be on a sb130 this weekend. Will post up my thoughts. I'm going to say with 90% certainty the sb130 is a 1 bike quiver if you can have only 1 bike.. leave stock or make it a lunch ride version at 160mm/x2.

I said the same thing about sb5v2 and sb5v2lr..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Out of curiousty:

The SB100 would be most similar to TB, 429, 4.5, and Ripley. What did you like about the SB100 more than the others.

The SB130 would be compared to the Ripmo and 5.5. What didn't you like (or would like improved) that would make you choose a SB130?
I liked the SB100 for two main reasons above the other similar bikes:
1. It is a rocket ship up and, surprisingly, down hill as well. It rides way larger than a 100mm travel bike should. It is hands down the best pedaling bike I have ridden.
2. The handling was razor sharp. It seems to be such a good balance of slow speed technical riding and high speed stability.

The Ripmo and 5.5 are great bikes as well but felt a little to much like a monster truck....both in handling and pedalling efficiency. I personally liked the 5.5 better( I think it just fit me better and maybe climbed more efficient but that could have just been the day I was having as well) but they were both very good bikes. Don't get me wrong I love B-lining through rock gardens but don't want a sluggish bike at slow speed and climbing.

As weird as it may sound my 2nd favorite bike is probably a tie between the Ripley and 5.5, which I think says a lot about how efficient Yeti's are in general.

To me that is what makes the SB130 so appealing for areas of the country just like yours where you want an ultra efficient pedaling bike with a manageable weight but you don’t need 150mm or more of rear travel nor will the 100-120mm bike be quite flexible enough for some of the techy and rocky terrain you still find abundant so you can have that added comfort.

Plus the bike is a great 1 bike solution if you do 3-6 trips away from your area each year where a bigger bike might be more appropriate for those locations the SB130 is pretty dialed to do everything really well.

I’ve ridden a lot of those bikes you’ve listed and if I could have anyone of them given to me as a gift I’d pick the SB130
You nailed it! I am 41 and don't huck 6' drops but I do like to rip (strava nerd) and with the amount of rocks around here and the alternate jump lines (2'-4' to flat) I just worry about hitting the limits of the 100. That and I am only 3 hours from Bentonville AR which has some pretty gnarly terrain/parks.

I will always have my hardtail but really only want one full squish bike...so like a lot of people I am looking for that "quiver killer" bike.

I will say that I have had more fun this summer demoing new bikes than I thought I would. Every bike has it's own personality and how it interacts with the rider is so very different. I have learned a lot about what I like and what I don't want to sacrifice.

·
Waldmeister
220 Posts
What is the deal with the shock fit?

It is spec'd with a 210 x 52.5mm DPX2.

In Shaun Hughes camo covered XL rig on Instagram in some of the previous posts has a Float X2 built in.

According for Fox' website The Float DPX2 comes in 210 x 50mm and 210 x 55mm.
The Float X2 is more absurd. It comes in 205 and 230mm lengths and shortest stroke 60mm...

Me confused.

·
Waldmeister
220 Posts
Hm. Makes me think this is based on a 210x55...

Wonder what happens if someone “forgets” the 2.5mm spacer.

Will the tire go on contact with the ST?
Can the SI link/stroke physically handle?
What happens to the kinematics up there?

Questions...

I guess we will find out sooner or later.

·
Waldmeister
220 Posts
Same shock just spaced to different stroke lengths, can be changed when the shock is serviced AFAIK.
Funny enough Fox did not want to reduce a 57mm stroke DPX2 to 54mm for me to run a bit more travel in my (stock 200x50) Hightower. Had this idea before the LT (link) came out.

Blablabla...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Am I the only one considering the GX build? I was thinking of getting the GX and upgrading the bars, crank, brakes, wheels, and cassette. I already have a RF Next R wheels and crank I can pull off my current ride. It’s hard to vision because all the pics i’ve seen so far are all higher with Kashima.

I’m thinking to going with the black frame since it hides rock chips better which are unavoidable here it UT. Also, most raw frames come on lighter then the painted version, any truth to this on the Yetis?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Am I the only one considering the GX build? I was thinking of getting the GX and upgrading the bars, crank, brakes, wheels, and cassette. I already have a RF Next R wheels and crank I can pull off my current ride. It’s hard to vision because all the pics i’ve seen so far are all higher with Kashima.

I’m thinking to going with the black frame since it hides rock chips better which are unavoidable here it UT. Also, most raw frames come on lighter then the painted version, any truth to this on the Yetis?
GX is a solid build, I'd have no problem running GX anything(except cranks) but I ordered the X0 build because I like shiny gold stanchions.

Weight of a coat of paint is so low it's not worth discussion.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Ive also heard black was lighter by a 1/4 to 1/2 lb? It was on a different yeti thread. I thought the frame was raw and has a clear coat. Saving several coats of blue paint should save you some weight. The blue looks better than the black in pictures but i heard that the black looks really good in person.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
1/2 pound for paint? I don’t really know how to respond to this without seeming like a dick

·
Waldmeister
220 Posts
Let me be that dick.

When I purchased my Nicolai ION 15 back then I asked specifically that question with regards to should I get it raw or powder coated.

Their answer was that on my XL frame that would be around 200 grams more. Which is somewhere about 1/2 Lbs.

Again 200g for powder coated (which is probably the heaviest out there after gold plated) vs. nothing, re. not even a layer of clear coating.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Let me be that dick.

When I purchased my Nicolai ION 15 back then I asked specifically that question with regards to should I get it raw or powder coated.

Their answer was that on my XL frame that would be around 200 grams more. Which is somewhere about 1/2 Lbs.

Again 200g or powder coated (which is probably the heaviest out there after gold plated) vs. nothing, re. not even a layer of clear coating.
Paint on a Yeti frame depending on size will add between 80-120 grams.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
1/2 pound for paint? I don’t really know how to respond to this without seeming like a dick
Lol, yes that’s a rather funny statement that paint would add 230+ grams to a Yeti frame......at that point I would hope that it would be almost bulletproof regarding durability of paint Finnish as I’m not overly impressed with my past Yeti paint quality.

The last Yeti frame that was actually black paint and sealed glossy was the 2014 ARC carbon frames and the ASRc frames but everything since has been Raw-unpainted when talking about black so I definitely want to know if that’s the case or not. The SB100 black frames are Raw Finnish.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I’m new to Yeti, but all my previous raw frames saved between 100-200gs. So my GX raw frame may be close to the turq painted and save $1000🤔. Still excited to hear everyone’s riding reports. I’m demoing a XL Rallon this weekend, but the un-ridden SB130 still holds the #1 spot for now. Only concern is I really love bombing through the rough.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I've always thought the turq frame was lighter, stronger and stiffer.. However just noticed that the c-series is now saying its just as strong and stiff. Just a little heavier.. Interesting...

" By making small changes in the carbon fiber layup of our TURQ Series bikes, we are able to create a more aggressively priced carbon high-performance mountain bike. C-Series frames maintain the strength and stiffness or TURQ Series. The carbon fiber in C-Series weighs a bit more, about 250g per frame (1/2 pound). Every bike model is offered in at least one C-Series option with high-end components."

On a side note.. has ANYONE rode the sb130 yet?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I’ve ridden mine on the greenway. Haha. Will have it on the trail tomorrow. Medium feels perfect for me @ 5’7”

221 - 240 of 3319 Posts