Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
My opinion is yes. But there may be advantages for you to buy another 100 depending what you ride. For me, the 115 is damn near perfect. I was on the fence with the 100 and was about to go 130 when the 115 arrived. Coming from a 4.5, it is really me ideal bike for what I want...
What are the differences between the sb4.5 and sb115? On paper they seem real similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Geo numbers are very similar...suspension leverage curve and frame characteristics.

It's the modern sb45c.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
^ Nice! How do you like the oval chain ring? Also, do you like Ducatis?

I really haven't tried it out fully. So far, I don't even notice it and honestly, can't really tell if it helps in climbing as they suggest because I haven't given it a fair shake down.

Ducatis - yup! Been racing them for years and even worked for the brand. Here's the front room entering the home office... My street toy 2019 Hyper. My last racebike was a 1299S full Superstock build...

·
Registered
254 Posts
What are the differences between the sb4.5 and sb115? On paper they seem real similar.

My review is that the 115 is a better bike overall. HOWEVER, in my assessment, I would have to make clear that I am on an XL with the 115 and I had a LG 4.5. So, not sure if what I am about to say is due to the sizing difference.

For me, the 115 has MUCH better front end feel. Coming from motorcycle racing, I have developed a certain feel I want or look for whether on a road motorcycle, dirtbike or bicycle. The 4.5 vs the 115 left me feeling a vague mid corner feel. Braking it was good at the initial stage and then right before turn in, it would be more vague and even more vague mid corner. That led to a few times of trailing too much brake and washing the front. At least, that was my opinion... I therefore wasn't as fast mid corner as I wanted or felt I could be. With the 115 literally right out of the box (Using Yeti's initial suggested settings for the suspension) had much better feel. In fact, it was good all the way through and once I started to dial it in a bit more, I was feeling really good. Now, I got the bike late last year due to delays in arriving, but the short amount of time I rode it, I beat my personal best on one of the trails I ride regularly every time I rode.

This is significant in my mind because I had the 4.5 for 2 full seasons and through June of 2020. I had more seat time on the 4.5 in 2020 and when I finally got my 115, the first ride was only slightly faster as I was getting used to it. But, after that ride and a few tweeks, I was beating my 4.5 times easily and getting faster and faster. That was prior to the GRIP2 and carbon wheels so, I suspect that I will get better times immediately once we get back out.

I just think the 115 is a bit more quick on transitional changes also. Left/right switchbacks seem to be sharper. The climbing is pretty similar I think. The downs aren't much different for around here, but that moment that I have anything twisty on a down and this thing is a razor. I think I accelerate quicker as well.

Here's how I look at it. When I got the 115, I had been riding the 4.5 a good bit for the 2020 year, was in shape, my lungs were strong and I was riding the same trail. I think that the times dropped because the bike is just that little bit better. It's like motorcycle racing... I have raced multiple gen of whatever brand. Each model update is minimal in terms of power, chassis development, etc. BUT... Those little things add up to bigger things and the result is a faster time. Maybe not a CRUSHING difference, but faster nonetheless. I have raced a previous gen bike and received the new gen months after seat time with the bike I was really comfortable with only to go slightly faster on the new gen or a hair off my best lap. Meaning, those little things help you get to speed faster and then as you develop the bike and learn the bike, you continue to get quicker. At some point, you reach a speed or lap time that is just where you can't get any faster no matter what the new tech is. BUT, you get more efficient and less work to go as fast.

Hope that all makes sense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Might as well post a pic of mine since I am waiting on a few things and it's winter...

My SB115 T2 Build...

-GRIP2 front fork kit
-Misc oil slick items such as Ergon grips and Ergon saddle
-absoluteBLACK oval chain ring
-Syncros front fender
-Decal upgrade (Adds insane speed!)
-2021 Kasima seat post

Still waiting on the following:

-NOBL T37 Wheeset
-DPX2 rear shock

The worse thing about winter is that while sitting there and staring at me in my office, I just keep ordering goodies for it!!! View attachment 1914780
What pump are you using on the frame? Any issues hitting it when you pedal?

·
Registered
887 Posts
My review is that the 115 is a better bike overall. HOWEVER, in my assessment, I would have to make clear that I am on an XL with the 115 and I had a LG 4.5. So, not sure if what I am about to say is due to the sizing difference.
Thank-you for sharing this opinion!

2 follow up questions:

1) Since the frames are different sizes, did you adjust stem length to have the same effective reach?

2) Fork offset equal between the two? I’m assuming the 4.5 had a 51mm offset and the 115 has 44mm offset.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What pump are you using on the frame? Any issues hitting it when you pedal?
It's the OneUp pump. I knick it once in a while. Been thinking about the stem setup they offer. But it is rare that I hit it. And when I do, it is in there so damn well that it doesn't pop out or move, etc. I just feel it...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thank-you for sharing this opinion!

2 follow up questions:

1) Since the frames are different sizes, did you adjust stem length to have the same effective reach?

2) Fork offset equal between the two? I’m assuming the 4.5 had a 51mm offset and the 115 has 44mm offset.

I have not adjusted the stem. I am still using the 50mm length setup. I did push the seat forward a tad more and I went to a shorter dropper post. I lowered the bars/stem one ring spacer, as well.

Essentially, I am not exactly sure what the difference is between the two in terms of setup and how I feel in the cockpit. To be honest, I was going to get a shorter stem and try it out, but I really feel comfortable on this thing. Before, the dropper post was too tall even when as low as I could get it. now I have the shorter one slightly raised out and even tried flush and felt fine.

The wheelbase on these are 28mm difference. But I think the longer wheelbase on the 115 may be helping a bit. The seat tube and head tube angles are within tenths of MMs of each other.

Basically, I have spent the time to set it up to where I feel comfortable and I have even adjusted a few things over winter and can't wait to see if I have more time in my laps with a little additional dialing in. It goes to show for those of us on the edge of sizes, you probably can choose either way and adjust to your style and fit...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone confirmed with Yeti that 140mm fork can work on a SB115?

I saw a couple of posts regarding a 140mm Pike, but wonder if Yeti endorses that or has considerations on a specific manufacturer.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts