Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are there any drawbacks going to a Fox 34 140mm fork? In terms of lifting the front/geo?

I have an SB115 and was thinking of either going to a Fox 34 140 Grip2 or downsizing to a Fox 34 120 SC for the weight savings. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
No. You will be fine. May adjust stack a bit to suit your riding position..

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are there any drawbacks going to a Fox 34 140mm fork? In terms of lifting the front/geo?

I have an SB115 and was thinking of either going to a Fox 34 140 Grip2 or downsizing to a Fox 34 120 SC for the weight savings. Thoughts?
I just installed the new GRIP2 in the fork of my SB115 and have teh DX2 coming (Sucks, but not available until March 2021). I am not wanting to XC the bike and honestly, the fine tuning was what I was after. Easy to do for sure and allowed me to service the forks. You'd be amazed at how little lube and oil was applied for initial install.

As for efficiency, I am sure the 100 is "better". However, you spend time setting up your 115 and you will be amazed at how well it climbs via power input and then how much better on decents it is vs the 100. The 100 maybe would climb a tad better if setup well, but the decent would favor the 115. Efficiency isn't just climbing. It's up and down and then of course, the energy it takes to ride the bike in areas like switchbacks, etc.

I hear someone say how efficient one is over another and I cringe. It is so small a difference that it really depends more on your riding style, where you ride and what you want out of the bike. Example, a 165 is more efficient than the 100 if in the right environment... Know what I mean? Apple to apples, you know the specs and the 100 would edge out the 115 if exactly the same rider had them both well setup to their style and ability. But the down portions would favor the 115 just based on how well it does that particular aspect of the ride. Handling is something where I personally think the 115 is a tad better, but I ride maybe different than someone else and could lean to the 100. I call all of that explanation "equal"...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just installed the new GRIP2 in the fork of my SB115 and have teh DX2 coming (Sucks, but not available until March 2021). I am not wanting to XC the bike and honestly, the fine tuning was what I was after. Easy to do for sure and allowed me to service the forks. You'd be amazed at how little lube and oil was applied for initial install.
With regards to your Grip 2, how much travel did you go with?

I just realized I combined responses for the two threads... Disregard and the GRIP2 was what I was wanting to post...
All good info! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I have this on my 150 and now another one on my 115 fork

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does anyone know what size q-factor cranks for the SB115? The Yeti FAQ just says "wide" q-factor cranks? Is 172 wide or does it need to be 178? My SB140 has the Shimano M8100 which I believe is 172?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the market for a new bike, and have narrowed it down to the Ranger, Spur and 115. I would run the SID 120 fork on the Ranger or Spur, would that be a good fit for the 115 as well, or would it make the head angle too steep?

I think any of these bikes will probably suit my needs, I am looking for a light bike that is still fun, I live in the CO front range and mostly ride longer, intermediate trails, every once in a while I will ride something steep and chunky, but it's not really my jam. I like to go fast up and down, and at least one of my rides each week I am trying to set a PR. Going to enter a couple of races next year, including the Leadville 100. I want to perform well in these races but not at the cost of having fun going down and riding the occasional rowdy trail.

The only MTB I have owned is my Devinci Troy, which is 150 both front and back and weights around 34 pounds, I'm sure the Ranger, Spur or 115 will be a lot easier going up! Possible I would keep the Troy and have a 2 bike set up but would prefer to sell it.
What did u wind up doing in terms of new bike?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Beautiful. Thoughts on the new HTA??
Thanks! I haven't put it through its paces due to the weather and mud, so I don't have feed back at the moment. I've taken it out on my local trails (think XC) and, while having a longer wheelbase, it doesn't feel any less poppy or slowed steering. Note, I've lowered the front by going to a 120mm fork resulting in BB & head tube measurements within +/- 1mm from a stock SB115.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Love the build... A few questions - What made you go with the narrower wheelset with the slacker setup? I was torn with going to a thinner inner width wheelset but stuck with the 30mm internal. I did go up a size which will get me a slightly longer wheelbase, but wanted to see your thoughts on that direction with the bike.

I also saw you dropped to a 120 fork which makes it more SB100-ish but then the slacker setup. Just wondering as it seems to go against what might be considered an XC setup by adding the slacker adjustable headset. But, with all the wheels and fork changes, makes me think you're doing more XC oriented stuff and then I get confused on the headset setup.

Trying to see what you are thinking towards as I am always thinking with this bike and go XC focused at times and then I ride it like my SB4.5 and it seems like sticking with the Trail/AM side seems more fun for me... I love hearing others and their thoughts as it helps me determine ideas.

Love the look and the build. So unique!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Love the build... A few questions - What made you go with the narrower wheelset with the slacker setup? I was torn with going to a thinner inner width wheelset but stuck with the 30mm internal.
Thanks! My goal was to have a fun bike for my local terrain - mostly rock gardens and tech. So a light, efficient, bike would be the most enjoyable (for me) and the priority.

I went with the i9 Trail 270 because it was the lightest wheels given a set budget. I saved 2.1lbs with the swap, plus faster-rolling tires. If I had time and budget, I would have gotten the i9 315 24H which are ~1625g and 31.5mm (gives me the option to put wider tires).

I also saw you dropped to a 120 fork which makes it more SB100-ish but then the slacker setup. Just wondering as it seems to go against what might be considered an XC setup by adding the slacker adjustable headset. But, with all the wheels and fork changes, makes me think you're doing more XC oriented stuff and then I get confused on the headset setup.
I wanted to try the slacker head-set, but also didn't want the front-end to get any higher. So I went to 120mm but extended the wheelbase and slacker HTA. The numbers worked out. I don't think the bike is any less trail-oriented than before (per my terrain) and far from XC.

Just to add, I wouldn't take it down the gnarly stuff at Pisgah, but would be great in flowy, pedal-y (sp?), places like Dupont.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m about to trade my Large SB100 for a Medium. Am I better off grabbing a 115 instead? I plan on swapping all parts over to include my SC34.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’m about to trade my Large SB100 for a Medium. Am I better off grabbing a 115 instead? I plan on swapping all parts over to include my SC34.
My opinion is yes. But there may be advantages for you to buy another 100 depending what you ride. For me, the 115 is damn near perfect. I was on the fence with the 100 and was about to go 130 when the 115 arrived. Coming from a 4.5, it is really me ideal bike for what I want...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Might as well post a pic of mine since I am waiting on a few things and it's winter...

My SB115 T2 Build...

-GRIP2 front fork kit
-Misc oil slick items such as Ergon grips and Ergon saddle
-absoluteBLACK oval chain ring
-Syncros front fender
-Decal upgrade (Adds insane speed!)
-2021 Kasima seat post

Still waiting on the following:

-NOBL T37 Wheeset
-DPX2 rear shock

The worse thing about winter is that while sitting there and staring at me in my office, I just keep ordering goodies for it!!!

141 - 160 of 169 Posts