Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2430 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I think it depends really as my sb100 is great but i do feel a bit beaten up on rough stuff and roots etc. I am actually looking for a Sb130 or ripmo which can be built up light and climb well. I demo'd some other bikes and for 2/3lbs extra weight they sure can climb well..
115 is more capable and plusher suspension. It can be built up closer to a 130...while still keeping 100 characteristics to an extent

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
777 Posts
SB100 to a SB115 conversion

Anyone do a 100 to a 115 successfully and have any feedback? After Yeti released the sb115 i think it took a bit to also release the parts needed for the conversion but looks like its on their site now (though they discourage it?)? I could be wrong on this. Just wanted to see if anyone had any luck with a conversion and tips/trick on it.
Yeti makes it sound like its for techs only but can it really be that tough?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Anyone do a 100 to a 115 successfully and have any feedback? After Yeti released the sb115 i think it took a bit to also release the parts needed for the conversion but looks like its on their site now (though they discourage it?)? I could be wrong on this. Just wanted to see if anyone had any luck with a conversion and tips/trick on it.
Where are you seeing the SB115 link?

I don’t see any new parts that haven’t been there for a while now.

There’s the upgrade kit for the SI but I don’t see the SB115 link on either the SB115 or SB100 parts page.

I asked Yeti within the last couple weeks and they maintain they’re not going to make it available. At least for now.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Where are you seeing the SB115 link?

I don’t see any new parts that haven’t been there for a while now.

There’s the upgrade kit for the SI but I don’t see the SB115 link on either the SB115 or SB100 parts page.

I asked Yeti within the last couple weeks and they maintain they’re not going to make it available. At least for now.
ahh i gotcha the link is the missing link. I thought is was the SI and a new shock (which those specs for the SB115 are readily there and/or there's been talk modding a SB100 fox shock)
sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The SI has a newer mounting hardware upgrade as used for the 115 and can be used to retro a 100. The 100 shock can be overstroked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SB100 vs other bikes

Not to change the subject, but I thought I'd share some thoughts on the SB100 compared to other bikes I've been riding. In the last year I owned a transition smuggler, then a 2019 Kona Hei Hei and I had a Blur and an Epic evo on long-term demo. Ultimately I bought an SB100 a couple weeks ago.

The hei hei is the 100mm version with shorter geo. The suspension is noticeably inefficient compared to the blur, evo and SB100. In order to stop pedal bob I had to run a lot of compression dampening. Other than that it rode quite well. It was my main bike and I rode it on everything but double-blacks here in Squamish. Sure, I was under-biked a few times but it was fine. I found steep, technical climbing challenging though. The ST angle is 74degrees, but the main reason it wasn't the best technical climber was that the suspension would sag into the travel on steeper climbs, making the effective ST angle even slacker. If I locked out the rear suspension in those situations, it climbed well.

The Blur was my favorite bike (until the SB100). Super efficient, snappy and capable. I was going to wait for the 2022 model, but I got impatient.

The smuggler has the same geo as the new spur. Unlike the spur, it was heavy and the suspension was super inefficient for pedaling. I mean super inefficient. The geo was good for steep stuff but I found I had to pay attention on flatter terrain as the front would wash out. Overall the better geo did not mean I rode steeper stuff than I did on the blur or hei hei. I probably could have but I hated the pedaling and flat terrain handling so much I never rode it.

The 2021 s-works epic evo is nice. Very efficient pedaling in open mode and super light. The down side is that the the suspension feels a bit harsh compared to the other bikes. The cockpit was the same size on all the bikes, but the ST angle and reach were different. The epic has 10mm longer reach than the hei hei but 15mm less than the smuggler. Even though its not super long or slack, I was surprised to find that I still needed to watch when I was really pushing it in flatter corners. I crashed a few times which never happened on the hei hei or the blur. It performed well on some pretty techy downs, except for the harshness.

After all that, I realized that I didn't want something too long and slack. I was in the queue for a spur but then I realized I actually wanted something with more moderate geo, that has super efficient pedaling that is not harsh. Hence the SB100.

All I can say is, wow. The suspension is so stable when pedaling. Again, I found the main limitation for steep techy climbing is how high you sit in the travel. So even though the ST angle on the SB100 and Hei hei are similar, the SB100 is so much better on that stuff. In fact the ST angle on the epic and smuggler are steeper than the SB100, but they do not climb steep stuff any better. The SB100 is by far the most supple on the downs. I also owned a bunch of hardtails and the thing about a hardtail is you get knocked off your line and its hard to focus with the rear end flying around. I noticed that same kind of thing a bit with the hei hei and epic relative to the SB100, but obviously to a lesser extent. I am probably faster downhill on the SB100 because the suspension is so much better, even though the HT angle is slacker on the epic.

Could it be that just maybe there is too much emphasis on geo lately? At least in terms of the bikes I've owned, the suspension design was a bigger factor than the reach or HT/ST angles. Obviously if going fast downhill is your main priority, then its a different story. But the conservative geo on the Hei hei and I guess the SB100 does not stop me from riding steep stuff, I just ride it slower than I would on say the smuggler. But the upside is that the front end is much more stable on flatter corners. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the SB100...except that I am afraid I'll start hearing the dreaded creak at some point!

·
Registered
SB100
20 Posts
Hi there,
asked the same thing to Yeti and here below the answer:

Hey Alessandro,
Unfortunately the SB100 and 115 have some minor differences in frame layup that make the 100 incompatible with the new link up top to get the longer stroke. Using the parts in this way will likely lead to failure, and will void the frame warranty. The new 115 switch does work on the 100, however, by using a custom set of hardware we have to adapt the new system to the 100. Please let us know if we can help with anything else. Thanks !

FYI, the distributor here in Switzerland has the SB115 link available in the catalogue (fake, mistake, who knows...)
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hi there,
asked the same thing to Yeti and here below the answer:

Hey Alessandro,
Unfortunately the SB100 and 115 have some minor differences in frame layup that make the 100 incompatible with the new link up top to get the longer stroke. Using the parts in this way will likely lead to failure, and will void the frame warranty. The new 115 switch does work on the 100, however, by using a custom set of hardware we have to adapt the new system to the 100. Please let us know if we can help with anything else. Thanks !

FYI, the distributor here in Switzerland has the SB115 link available in the catalogue (fake, mistake, who knows...)
Hope this helps
That’s the first time I’ve actually seen anywhere where Yeti says it would void the warranty.

I know they’ve said they’re not making it available. That they didn’t think it was worth the expense to convert.

But I’ve never heard them say it will void the warrant. I bet that will make Cascade Components reluctant.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The 2021 s-works epic evo is nice. Very efficient pedaling in open mode and super light. The down side is that the the suspension feels a bit harsh compared to the other bikes. The cockpit was the same size on all the bikes, but the ST angle and reach were different. The epic has 10mm longer reach than the hei hei but 15mm less than the smuggler. Even though its not super long or slack, I was surprised to find that I still needed to watch when I was really pushing it in flatter corners. I crashed a few times which never happened on the hei hei or the blur. It performed well on some pretty techy downs, except for the harshness.

Could it be that just maybe there is too much emphasis on geo lately?
I’ve had my frame for about 1 1/2 years now. By this point I’m always ready to try a new frame, whatever I’m riding.

I had put down a deposit for an S Works Epic Evo and was at the front of the line to get one of those much sought after frames.

In the end I just couldn’t part with my SB100. It is just so fun to ride. Seems to suit my needs perfectly. And if you like Yetis (and I realize there’s plenty who seem not to) then there’s certainly something about the feel and aesthetics that seems irreplaceable. To me Ibis would be the only other brand that has those same qualities.

And I agree with what you said about the geo. I’ve heard and read many reviewers and riders think the geo was a bit outdated. Then get on the SB100 or SB115 and be shocked by how much they enjoyed it. Maybe the guys at Yeti just know what makes a good, fun, capable bike?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
People ask me all the time why haven’t I upgraded my bike since I seem to do that every year and a half. My response is...I still love my Yeti sb100.
I would love to be able to upgrade it to the SB 115!! Yeti I hope you are listening!!
I’ve been running a pike 130 for almost the last three years with 42mm offset with the torque caps. Yeti has always been there for me with any of my questions and needs!!
I will be buying a new bike for 2021 more on the Enduro line 29er 150/160mm travel.

Sb100 Will definitely stay in my stable!!!!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Contact my buddy mtbsavant on Instagram. He just did it to his 100. Clipped the travel reducer and added a angleset.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Have you ridden your SB100 with a 120mm fork?

And if so how would you compare it to riding with the 130mm fork - pros and cons?
I rode the demo bike for one week with the 120 Fox step cast. After the week demo I decided to buy frame only as I always do. I thought the bottom bracket was a little low. Since I already have the pike fork at 130mm 42mm offset “was a no brainer.” Slammed the stem all the way down..I also decided on 170mm crank. Put the torque caps on the Pike, this definitely Stiffened up the front end over the stock fox 120 mm step cast. Now if I could convert my SB 100 to a 115 ..This would allow the backend to be as stiff as the front end. I did all the revisions and the front triangle has been replaced once! In the top right side bolt always came loose no matter what I did caused the frame to Oval out in that area. Oval out in that area, i’m super anal about my bike and always keep it in perfect shape. Yeti didn’t hesitate at all to do the right thing and take care of me. That was about six months ago haven’t had a problem since! My rear shock is time to get rebuilt so I thought it be a perfect time to just replace the shock with the SB115 shock. I definitely won’t buying a new SB 115 should be able to upgrade the parts to make this happen!! My Endura rig is probably going to be the new Trek Slash!! Maybe the first time I buy a complete bike because of the pricing for the frames these days! But my rule I need to demo a bike for one week before I purchase it and that’s hard to do in this day and age. I also have rode many bikes from friends. Ibis Ripley, Ibis Mojo, ibis Ripmo, Yeti sb130 not for me!! Yeti sb100 it’s like wearing your favorite pair of pants it always feels right!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I ran mine with a 130mm fork for a while before I bought an sb130. Slackens ST, HT, and raises BB maybe half degree. Honestly I didn’t notice much difference.

FWIW - when I placed my xcr25 wheels on my SB130, I was blown away by how much it woke up The SB130, I was getting damn near the same times on my SB100. My point is if SB100 owners are wanting more bike, I’d consider going sb130 with a more trail friendly set up like a pike fork and narrower tires and rims.

im actually considering selling my Sb100 and just having two sets of wheels/tires for my sb130. Still on the fence though, as the precision handling of the sb100 is so rewarding on certain types of trails.
I know this is from a few month as ago now. Wondering if you have any further thoughts on your lightweight SB130 version vs your SB100?

·
c'est la vie
183 Posts
Great video!
After the Hype - Is the Yeti SB100 still relevant in 2021?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just curious if anyone is running a Rekon Dissector combo tire in 2.4 on there 100...I’m coming from some light weight Aspen tires and wondering how much of an effect will be felt climbing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just curious if anyone is running a Rekon Dissector combo tire in 2.4 on there 100...I’m coming from some light weight Aspen tires and wondering how much of an effect will be felt climbing.
Yes, I have been on that combo for the past year, really like it.

I have gone bigger and smaller on tires on this bike, but Dissector/Rekon is great middle ground for me on the SB100.

2401 - 2420 of 2430 Posts