Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2431 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm installing mine tomorrow
How did the installation go? I'm not sure where to place the washers. The SB115 manual shows 8 washers but this kit is supplied with only 4?

Also the SB115 replacement kit "SB115 LINEAR BEARING G3 KIT 2021-CURRENT" is supplied with flathead bolts whereas this kit comes with tapered bolts?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
How did the installation go? I'm not sure where to place the washers. The SB115 manual shows 8 washers but this kit is supplied with only 4?

Also the SB115 replacement kit "SB115 LINEAR BEARING G3 KIT 2021-CURRENT" is supplied with flathead bolts whereas this kit comes with tapered bolts?
Turns out I was supplied with the incorrect Threaded rail kit.

I was sent a replacement frame for my SB100. The new frame is the SB115 version which is identical apart from the hole in the frame which mounts the SI. So if you get a new SB115 frame you also need to get replacement SI bolts.

SB100 frame has tapered holes where as the SB115 has flat ones.

·
c'est la vie
183 Posts
Loose aluminum sleeve

This may help explain why some are experiencing a loose swingarm when everything else checks out, something else to inspect.

Yeti Loose sleeve.jpg

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Good Gawd, will they just quit making this thing already and start over? 2 years and 3 "fixes" and it still doesn't work worth a ****.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,387
Good Gawd, will they just quit making this thing already and start over? 2 years and 3 "fixes" and it still doesn't work worth a ****.
Happy with mine after more than 2,000 miles and even when having to tighten the SI bolts every 7-8 rides since the bike is both fast and more fun than just about everything else I've ridden. Now that I've had the 3rd revision of the SI hardware I've had no loosening and set multiple KOM's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm suffering from analysis paralysis and need some help. I can't decide between an sb100 and a spur. I owned a Smuggler and really hated it to be honest. The spur geometry is the same but it pedals better (which isn't saying much). I currently own a 2019 hei hei cr and ride pretty much everything on it year round in Squamish. Of course I can descend much faster on a longer bike but every time I get on a longer bike, the front washes out or the front wheel pushes and tucks under on a switchback or something stupid when I'm not paying attention. I think I'd rather be a bit under-biked on the steep stuff than having to focus on weighting the front every time I'm cruising on the flatter stuff. So in my mind the old-skool geometry of the sb100 and the superior pedaling platform seems perfect. But 67.5degrees/430mm is so 2018 and the Spur is apparently the perfect bike for everything, so I'm conflicted.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you trust Pinkbike and their recent reviews of short travel rigs, it sounded like they loved the Spur in Squamish for its downhill prowess, compared to the SB115 that they tested, but found the Spur a little big i.e. less maneuverable. I have a SB100 and ride less technical stuff than Squamish trails with it. I would piss my pants on the SB100 in Squamish, but I sadly don't live there, sadly. Last time I was there, a local rider showed me around and was flying over black trails on his XC rig...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've skimmed the vast majority of this thread since I got my SB100 a couple of months ago. Since then, I've been tinkering with fitment and suspension settings. I see a lot of discussion regarding frame size, but not much regarding actual suspension setup, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion.

To start, I'm 5'11" 185 with gear (probably) riding a large. 2.35 Forekaster up front and 2.3 Aggressor rear. Usually run about 23psi, but could probably go lower.

I set sag initially using Yeti recommended psi per my weight. Seemed close, but was never using all the travel, so I found myself lowering psi by 5 here and there. I never really have found the bottom of the travel, so I just kept reducing it and haven't really seen any loss in pedal efficiency. Obviously, reducing it did allow things to be a little more plush.

Current specs:

Front: 68psi and 9 clicks out on Rebound.
Rear: 185 and 9 clicks out on Rebound.

The rear feels pretty good. Surprised I've gotten all the way down to 185 and still feel like it has that snap out of corners and certainly doesn't bob much at all on climbs. I can see the rear triangle move while pedaling, but that movement doesn't seem to result in any loss of efficiency.

I also thought that I had the front pretty close until the last ride. I rode a longer loop than I usually do that had some sustained downhill sections with some a lot of roots, rocks, small drops, etc. Those kind of obstacles that are separated just enough that the first one hits your rear tire exactly at the same time your hit the next one with your front. I don't know if I want to say the fork felt overwhelmed, but that small (medium) bump compliance was definitely pretty harsh. I guess I'm curious regarding other folks' setups (knowing a lot of this is purely subjective). I'm also wondering anyone has any suggestions for me. My first thought was that the front might be packing a little bit due to the lower psi, so maybe add some rebound.

Finally, Yeti and Fox both indicate that the open mode adjustment has something like 22 clicks of adjustment. I know most people are running this mostly open, but mine seems to only have 5-6 clicks of adjustment available. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
152 Posts
i am a 510 on a large and weigh about 180 when ready to ride
I am running 215 in the rear with 10 clicks out of rebound damping in the open position
For the front i have a 34 fit 4 @ 130mm with 3 volume spacers and 85 psi
With this set up my bike rips i ride it very hard down rough sections and use full travel every ride pretty much .
I think the problem with the bike is the 34sc up front
The rear suspension is so good and feels like more than 100mm and the 34sc is shimmed more for racing xc so feels very harsh when the rear is not having any issues .
I spent over a year messing with the sc and could never get it to feel good for trail bike riding
When i put the standard 34 on the front the bike was transformed way more grip much more comfort wish i had built it like this from new !
if you want to enjoy the rough stuff and make it more capable ditch the sc and fit a stock 34 or a pike or a helm @130mm travel you wont regret it

·
Registered
138 Posts
Im running 230 psi rear with a Pike Ultimate 130 up front, works pretty well for me. I'm 195 pounds kitted up. Also if you let the air out of rear shock you will notice the shock doesn't use the full length of the stantion on the fox rear shock. You can see were your true bottom out is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did anyone who owns the SB100 had the chance to ride the new 2021 Specialized Epic Evo? Thinking about selling my SB100 and getting the Epic Evo, but unfortunately don't have a chance to get a test ride. The Epic would be quite lighter than the Sb100.

·
XSEAL
124 Posts
Did anyone who owns the SB100 had the chance to ride the new 2021 Specialized Epic Evo? Thinking about selling my SB100 and getting the Epic Evo, but unfortunately don't have a chance to get a test ride. The Epic would be quite lighter than the Sb100.
No, but I have a SB100 and my buddy (who is lighter and faster) got the new S-works Epic and he FLIES on the thing. I think for racing you have to conclude its better, though I'm sticking with my Yeti.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have a shot at picking up a new 2020 sb100 T1 build for 25% off MSRP. What are the weak links in this build and do you think that's fair on a 2020? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am considering building up an sb100 with a 130 front shock and looking for some feedback. I live in sourthern RI and ride CT, MA, NH and VT. Coming from I guess an "enduro" background I am somewhat an aggressive trail rider. The past couple of years I have really enjoyed getting out and exploring on big rides and really pushing my fitness. Current rig is a 150/160 Bronson. Obviously I wont be taking this rig to the bike parks, but how does the SB100 handle chunky New England decents and the technical rocky/roots we have?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am considering building up an sb100 with a 130 front shock and looking for some feedback. I live in sourthern RI and ride CT, MA, NH and VT. Coming from I guess an "enduro" background I am somewhat an aggressive trail rider. The past couple of years I have really enjoyed getting out and exploring on big rides and really pushing my fitness. Current rig is a 150/160 Bronson. Obviously I wont be taking this rig to the bike parks, but how does the SB100 handle chunky New England decents and the technical rocky/roots we have?
My other rig is the new Hightower and I feel like my sb100 with the 120mm fork can handle all but the chunkiest descents. A 130mm fork thats a fox 36 or pike would make a huge difference on the front end. I think your limiting would be the geo and the 100mm rear end.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think it depends really as my sb100 is great but i do feel a bit beaten up on rough stuff and roots etc. I am actually looking for a Sb130 or ripmo which can be built up light and climb well. I demo'd some other bikes and for 2/3lbs extra weight they sure can climb well..

2381 - 2400 of 2431 Posts